• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid question, But Is It Possible To Have....
1 1

11 posts in this topic

........a coin graded MS70+ or PR70+? How about MS70* or PF*? If a 70 graded coin has beautiful toning, would it merit a + or *?

On 5/27/2022 at 3:22 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I am still on the fence about the whole MS + and - thing . Coin grading is tough enough without adding a variation to it.

You are not alone.  Maybe I am old and old fashioned but for years I've been peeved at how the grading system has evolved.  Take for example the terms 'Proof Like', 'Deep Proof Like' and then 'Deep Mirror Proof Like'.  I feel if it isn't a Proof it isn't.  I believe that such terms are nothing more than 'Gradeflation' designed by dealers to line the pockets of dealers.  Just because the first few coins on a new run are pretty lets call them 'Proof Like' and get more money for them. The common collector won't know the difference.   It's a Mint State coin that looks good, has a certain eye appeal, that's all.  Sorry for the rant.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:59 AM, Alex in PA. said:

You are not alone.  Maybe I am old and old fashioned but for years I've been peeved at how the grading system has evolved.  Take for example the terms 'Proof Like', 'Deep Proof Like' and then 'Deep Mirror Proof Like'.  I feel if it isn't a Proof it isn't.  I believe that such terms are nothing more than 'Gradeflation' designed by dealers to line the pockets of dealers.  Just because the first few coins on a new run are pretty lets call them 'Proof Like' and get more money for them. The common collector won't know the difference.   It's a Mint State coin that looks good, has a certain eye appeal, that's all.  Sorry for the rant.

Well I know I would be a tad upset if I sent a coin in for grading and it came back a MS - 66 so now it is worth less than the average 66 and if I have a coin I think is a 67 and send it in for a regrade and it comes back a 66 + It is not worth the regrade if I don't get that full bump between the 66 and 67. I am sure more than one person looks at a coin when there is a question but all in all I think it is to much hoopla and confusion.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I am sure more than one person looks at a coin

There have been come comments, by reputable people here and ATS, that sometimes up to four people look at your coin.