• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden defects on coins

11 posts in this topic

I am posting this to show not all photos capture small defects on the coins surface. Not all ebay sellers show different angles that can hide areas they do not want the buyer to see. This seller took multiple photos so the buyer can see more of what the coin looks like. Always remember to ask for more photos from the seller before you bid, if they say no, there are plenty of other coins out there. The first 2 photos are of the same coin, just slightly different angles, 2nd photo shows a nick in the cheek. Still a nice coin.

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

Just lighting. No Photoshop needed. It’s why I never buy online. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:31 PM, Coinbuf said:

A good lesson for everyone, no photo can tell the entire story.

Sometimes I have to take 4 or 5 shots in different light to get as close to the real deal. I have found indirect sunlight is the most accurate for a true looking coin. A lot of my registry coins I use my shots over the NGC or PCGS photos .   

I'm pretty sure that in this case there was an editing of the photo as on this page. I don't think any lighting can remove the scratches we see in the second photo. Especially nowadays, almost everyone has a photo editor on their smartphone, which is great for both simple and fast processing and advanced editing in minutes.

Edited by geraldwkoonce

The defects are visible in both photos, but you have to pay closer attention when examining the first photo. I always enlarge a photo and adjust tonal range and contrast to make surface problems more prominent.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:03 AM, nickhardinn said:

It looks like the photo was edited.Buying things online It's always risky.

Not edited. Lighting angles DO matter that much. Always have.