• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1855 S $3 gold coin

7 posts in this topic

Although it is not an unobtanium date (like a 1854-D) this is a better date for the series, so while most of the collector value of the coin is gone or limited it will still appeal to some collectors, just a smaller group than if undamaged.   I do not know how this would be valued in todays market, I would guess halfway between an undamaged piece and the melt value would be a rough starting place.

Edited by Coinbuf

That's a shame. Usually you can knock the value down a couple grades. The scratch is very distracting though. 

Without the "W" it would be a $5,000 to $6,000 coin. With the defacement, possibly $2,500 at the most.

(This is one of those unusual situations where professional smoothing of the field and re-authentication might be desirable. It depends on the cost of high quality surface work compared to any increase in potential value. The authentication company would give it a details grade with a "repaired" notation, and you, as seller would be expected to fully inform any buyer of the repair including photos.)

Edited by RWB

As distracting and deep as the graffiti is this one will really take a hit in my opinion. If you get $1500 I think you did well. Just my opinion there is no Science to pricing damaged pieces.