• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a keeper

9 posts in this topic

I don't see any 'ghosts' or doubling, but I do see what might be a small die crack at 5:00 on the obverse. If you like die cracks (some people do), that might make it a keeper.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:56 AM, Stephaniec418 said:

What do you think happened to the cen on the reverse and the steps? I can see doubling but I always see stuff that isnt there lol

Welcome Stephaniec. The steps wore off smooth from people spending that nickel it has seen a lot of circulation.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:56 PM, Stephaniec418 said:

What do you think happened to the cen on the reverse and the steps? I can see doubling but I always see stuff that isnt there lol

I see what you're referring to, but I don't see doubling. I do see disproportionate wear relative to the obverse. I doubt it's strike weakness because, while the steps did not commonly strike up fully back in the day, the strike was rarely bad enough to explain this. The most reasonable explanation is a circulation situation that caused more wear to one side.

It can be a keeper if you want it to be, your photos have so much glare it is difficult to see much of the coin.    I think Mr. Lange is correct and I also think that it was struck thru grease, that is why some of the reverse lettering is missing.   I do not see any double strike or ghosting that you are, perhaps photos without the glare might shed some light on what you see. ;)

Is it a keeper? Not for me, it wouldn’t be. I don’t seek out bad coins; I seek out perfection. That’s the way I was brought up. 

Thank you all very much and I doubt I’ll keep it just wasn’t sure why the letters would be missing the area is raised but not where the steps should be and the obverse appears raised in that area. Anyway I always appreciate you guys for the feedback