• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thought I'd share a pretty neat 1979 Jefferson I found CRH'ing
1 1

20 posts in this topic

GBrad that is really interesting. Maybe struck though on top of another one? Since the letters don’t seem to be doubled and the reverse seems ok. Don’t know if I have ever seen one like it. Cool find while CRH

On 5/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

GBrad that is really interesting. Maybe struck though on top of another one? Since the letters don’t seem to be doubled and the reverse seems ok. Don’t know if I have ever seen one like it. Cool find while CRH

Hey Bill, thanks. Yes, it was very odd to me and I had never seen anything like it either. The obverse letters/date were not being affected at all yet there was an obvious secondary profile of Jefferson.    

Now that I came back to read your comment, I just realized I did not even finish my opening post..... DUH!!!!!  Lack of sleep and trying to be in two places at once can cause some crazy things. I was very fortunate to get a write-up in Coin World regarding this coin.

Going back to add that now. 

Mike Diamond is the senior editor & author of the error- ref.com website so if anyone can figure out what is going on with your coin, it would be him. Personally I have no explanation.

My best guess would be the final remains of a capped die was still stuck on the leading edge of the bust and displaced the metal to give it that funky look.

Hello everyone and thank you for your comments, I truly appreciate them.  I am definitely aware of Mike Diamond, his accomplishments with error coins (and Error-ref. com),  and jokingly made my reference to "a gentleman who contacted me" in my opening post (sorry if that threw anyone off, not my intentions).  I will try to post the page that Mike D. wrote concerning my coin in Coin World.  It actually still remains a mystery as to how these errors occur.  If anyone is a subscriber to Coin World, the article for this coin was written by Mike in the May 16th edition.  Thanks to all!!!👍

** I just posted a pic of the article. It may be a bit blurry. Sorry.

Image 5-1-22 at 12.32 PM.jpg

Edited by GBrad
article added

On 5/11/2022 at 5:08 PM, Coinbuf said:

So what did Mike say caused this?

Hello Coinbuf. I supplied the article a few comments back. Sorry it is blurry, not sure why.  It may be hard to read but that is the best I can do from copying the article. 

On 5/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, RWB said:

That little note and nickel are probably more interesting than all the million dollar trophy coins put together.

I would have put the $5 bill inside the frame that he sent back with it if it would have fit..... xD  He didn't ask for anything money wise but I put some cash in the envelope to cover shipping back to me.  Very nice of him to send the extra money back.  

Edited by GBrad

On 5/12/2022 at 6:40 AM, Greenstang said:

Thanks for the article Greg.

At least you know you have a one of a kind error. Good find.

Thank you Greenstang.  I appreciate it.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, RWB said:

[The note says Mike Diamond enclosed "$5" not 5-cents.]

Oh…… my…..,,😁. Good one. 

Edited by GBrad