• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Proof Quarter DDO007
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I'm not convinced that this is a DDO. Meaning, I don't think -007 is a doubled die, not that this coin is not a match to -007. I'd have to see an example in hand. As to why the TPG's don't recognize it, my guess is that they don't think this is a DDO either or it is too minor.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Grammar

I know i wear glasses but........I dont think they straighten my eyes that good..........I just dont see it.........  can  you point it out?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It looks like strike doubling, aka machine doubling.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:38 PM, blinewalker said:

Anyone know what the value might be on this DDO? NGC nor PCGS list the coin which I'm amazed in part  do to the great doubling on the coin

You do not have an example of DDO-007, you have a proof coin with a slight amount of strike doubling nothing else.   As to why NGC does not recognize DDO-007 I cannot say, perhaps they do not feel it is significant enough to warrant recognizing it.   If you ever do actually have an example of DDO-007, you could always petition NGC to add it to the list of recognized varieties, it is possible that it is not on the list because no one has asked it add it.

The B looks cool but more like a step or shelf. I do not see any split serifs and it is a proof so MD is more likely and proof reflection does not help any.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:56 PM, blinewalker said:

http://varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/1962 Photos/1962PDDO007a I.jpg. According to Variety Vista it's the DDO-007

Nooooo, according to YOU it’s the Variety Vista DDO-007. Big difference. Not the same thing at all. Either way, the Variety Vista DDO-007 may not even BE a DDO at all. There’s lots of VV varieties that are not. 

I have to agree this one looks as if it is just exaggerated mechanical doubling. I’m far from an expert on the subject I fully and readily admit, but it shows none of the signs of a DD. 

Yes I realize Variety didn't look at the coin and say yep that's it, I guess a better way to say it would be, Variety Vista has this 1962 proof quarter that looks almost  identical to mine,  but with no die markers or descriptions available I'm assuming this.  

My apologies to the op @blinewalker I was incorrect in my previous post, I had looked it up on my phone in a hurry and did not look at the correct DDO on VV.   It does appear that your coin does match to the VV photos for DDO-007, again my apologies for my incorrect attribution.

Getting back to your original question blinewalker. If it was already in a slab as a 66 it would be around $20 But you probably already know that. As to weather it is a DDO-007 I don't think would change the premium. It is a great looking coin to have in a book or a flip for sure.

Edited by J P Mashoke

• Member: Seasoned Veteran
On 5/11/2022 at 5:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you ever do actually have an example of DDO-007, you could always petition NGC to add it to the list of recognized varieties, it is possible that it is not on the list because no one has asked it add it.

DDO-007 is a variety NGC will likely add, if and when someone submits an example. We don't like to add new varieties until we're able to provide photos. Customers may, and often do, ask about adding a variety before submitting it.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:58 AM, DWLange said:

DDO-007 is a variety NGC will likely add, if and when someone submits an example. We don't like to add new varieties until we're able to provide photos. Customers may, and often do, ask about adding a variety before submitting it.

Good to know how the process works, I am not a variety collector or hunter so I have seldom sent in a variety for grading.