• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976-S 40% silver quarter
1 1

12 posts in this topic

This is my favorite quarter I currently own, IMO it's a beautiful coin and I believe it would grade on the higher end of the scale. I have three more that's almost in the exact same condition, I realize photo grading is very subjective thats not what I'm asking for, I guess i just wanted to share a beautiful coin. 

WIN_20220509_23_30_04_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220509_23_30_39_Pro.jpg

It is a nice coin. I would not send it in it would have to grade 68 to a MS70 and I do not think it would pay for itself but if you just want it then that is your choice. I have a few of these Bicentennial quarters.  How do you know it is a 40% coin they made copper clad ones also ?

Edited by J P Mashoke

The marks on Washington's cheek would disqualify it from the highest UNC grades. (You've also got the very rare "Side Saddle Drummer" variety... ;)

On 5/10/2022 at 7:05 AM, bsshog40 said:

It is an S mint, so it is 40%. 

I have a few 1975 + 1976 proofs sets that all have a S mint mark but are copper / clad. I also have the 3 piece set that is 40% silver . It has a matt frosted look to it I have not seen before. That is why I asked

1975 and 76 proof.jpg

40% Silver.jpg

1776-1976 set.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 5/10/2022 at 4:17 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I have a few 1975 + 1976 proofs sets that all have a S mint mark but are copper / clad. I also have the 3 piece set that is 40% silver . That is why I asked

1975 and 76 proof.jpg

40% Silver.jpg

1776-1976 set.jpg

In 76 business strike clads were struck in Philly and Denver. 40% silver business strikes were struck in San Fran. 

Then there are the proof sets which you are referencing that were all struck in San Fran but all clad. 

The OPs coin is a business strike, not proof, so as bosshog said we know it is 40% because it has the S mint mark. 

On 5/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, Woods020 said:

In 76 business strike clads were struck in Philly and Denver. 40% silver business strikes were struck in San Fran. 

Then there are the proof sets which you are referencing that were all struck in San Fran but all clad. 

The OPs coin is a business strike, not proof, so as bosshog said we know it is 40% because it has the S mint mark. 

Ok thanks Woods. See I learned something new today. That is why it looks like it has a matt finish . Cool 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:42 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Ok thanks Woods. See I learned something new today. That is why it looks like it has a matt finish . Cool 

No, it looks like a matte finish because the op is using a microscope and the scope light is making it look funky.

There is a matte 3 coin set in 40% silver. It was packaged in a stiff red envelope, with the coins in pliofilm tucked into a cardboard frame. They all are S mint, and not proof. 

On 5/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, VKurtB said:

There is a matte 3 coin set in 40% silver. It was packaged in a stiff red envelope, with the coins in pliofilm tucked into a cardboard frame. They all are S mint, and not proof. 

I knew there was the 40% silver set but I did not realize they made a business strike 40% coin also. That is what threw me off . Thanks Guys, I will have to see if I can find some hiding somewhere out there along with your coin suggestion Kurt 

On 5/10/2022 at 6:08 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I knew there was the 40% silver set but I did not realize they made a business strike 40% coin also. That is what threw me off . Thanks Guys, I will have to see if I can find some hiding somewhere out there along with your coin suggestion Kurt 

The envelope resembles the “blue Ike” envelope, but is bright red. 

On 5/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, VKurtB said:

There is a matte 3 coin set in 40% silver.

Found both the 3 coin unc set and proof sets in my Dads office drawer when he passed...  these are the only "Modern" coins i have ever had slabbed.