• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof Day No S
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, Kevine84 said:

OK

I'm going out on a limb again..

There gotta be proofs, right?

20220506_163552.jpg

20220506_163703.jpg

Only the one on the right is a proof. 

See the information LemE provided on your other nickel post. I think you incorrectly assume proofs have always been struck in San Francisco. The dime on the right is a normal Philly struck proof. 

These two coins side by side can teach you a lot. Notice the difference in the rims on the two coins. Proof coins as you will see have a squared rim, and this is a good diagnostic. 

I had NO IDEA that identifying a proof would be so difficult for a guy who has been here since October 2019. Something’s missing here. 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, VKurtB said:

I had NO IDEA that identifying a proof would be so difficult for a guy who has been here since October 2019. Something’s missing here. 

All purpose of a forum.

f these coins were called proof coins by a local dealer. $30 a piece.  I don't agree. I wanted to verify the reality of  2 and 2

I thought they were interesting to share and I thought that was the purpose of the forum  partly. 

Here is better pixels. I realize that 4 in one photo was a bad idea. Won't do it again. 

20220507_125020.jpg

20220507_125001.jpg

20220507_124947.jpg

20220507_124932.jpg

There are plenty of threads out there that can help you identify what makes a proof special. Go find those threads and answer these questions as they relate to brilliant proofs from the 1950-1964 era:

1. What makes a proof die special?

2. What is the difference in the striking of a proof vs. a circulation strike? 

3. How are proofs sold to collectors? (Hint: you can have two answers, relating to how they were packaged)

4. What qualities should a proof coin exhibit? (Hint: Surface and strike characteristics )

Once you can answer these, tell me then which of your four coins you think are proofs. You should be able to easily tell, but if you take the time to answer the questions, I will verify your answer and tell you which coins are proofs.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:00 PM, Kevine84 said:

All purpose of a forum.

f these coins were called proof coins by a local dealer. $30 a piece.  I don't agree. I wanted to verify the reality of  2 and 2

I thought they were interesting to share and I thought that was the purpose of the forum  partly. 

Here is better pixels. I realize that 4 in one photo was a bad idea. Won't do it again. 

20220507_125020.jpg

20220507_125001.jpg

20220507_124947.jpg

20220507_124932.jpg

Hint: two are (probably - lighting can still play tricks) and two I can tell instantly are not. Whatever dealer said all 4 are proofs is either a crook or an i-d-I-o-t. By the way, there isn’t even one coin here that is worth $30, proof or otherwise. 

Edited by VKurtB