• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Coin Collector

29 posts in this topic

Coinbuf is absolutely right. Also, given that a 66 is worth $8 optimistically, you could buy 3-6 of those with the grading money. To me, that's always the killer argument: Would I rather have a piece of plastic or another coin? That's not a difficult decision for me.

First - congrats on finding a great hobby - history, art, and economics rolled into one.  On the topic of economics, before submitting any coins to a TPG consider the following:

• the cost of the coin already graded (buying it in a holder)
  • the true cost of having the coin graded ("making" the coin)
  • Understand the Sheldon Scale and the impact it has on coin pricing

After you learn this you will know:

• 99%++ of the time, submitting a coins you like/find are not worth submitting
    • There are significant drop-offs in value when you don't "make the grade"
      • With modern coins, even MS60-65 grades will likely be underwater financially.
        • Membership fees, grading fees, and two-way shipping can really eat into value.
  • Only PCGS and NGC graded coins are regarded as reliable grading companies by majority of collectors
    • When learning grading and pricing use the only two listed above
Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 5/2/2022 at 8:38 PM, VKurtB said:

I swear I’m going out to march around my house several times, right after the rerun of Big Bang Theory. 

Im gonna go out make about 3 laps around the hotel. 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, VKurtB said:

I have to admit it. I have a “thing” for Kaley Cuoco. 

Is that like George Costanza's "thing" for Marisa Tomei ? xD

On 5/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is that like George Costanza's "thing" for Marisa Tomei ? xD

Almost exactly. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:52 PM, VKurtB said:

If they’re Millennials or Gen Z, the truth comes across to them as meanness and they have to go to a safe space and have themselves a good cry. If collecting ever does collapse as a hobby, THAT will be the proximate cause. It’s too mean. 

It doesn't have to be mean.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:15 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

It doesn't have to be mean.

Have you ever been to a large coin show? It’s not for the easily upset. It’s cold, hard frankness on steroids. 

On 5/14/2022 at 3:40 PM, VKurtB said:

Have you ever been to a large coin show? It’s not for the easily upset. It’s cold, hard frankness on steroids. 

I would love it Tables full of Archie Bunkers and Don Rickles .Now that would be F.U.N.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:27 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I would love it Tables full of Archie Bunkers and Don Rickles .Now that would be F.U.N.

It’s more like they have no time for Barney the Dinosaur feeeeelings. 

I have...  I have not had issues.  I lead with kindness and negotiate with respect.  I don't always get the deal, but I command respect regardless.  I find that dealers are coming to shows to sell coins, so if I am respectful and negotiate within reason - it is reciprocated. 

I don't know....I went to FUN 2020 and everybody was super-nice, cordial, and helpful.  I can't remember one rude or obnoxious dealer and I literally stopped by a few hundred.