• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan dollar 1884S
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2022 at 7:22 PM, jimbo27 said:

Welcome, what is your question.

I know if this coin is what it seems to be it’s very rare an could be worth good value 1884S

The photo shows an 1884-O (round "O") with damage and lots of scratches, etc. There are no O/S varieties listed on VAMworld.

You have a dinged up 1884-O Morgan dollar that likely will grade as AU, value in that condition is $40 give or take.   If you want to spend $40-$50 to grade a $40 coin that is your choice, I would not.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 5/1/2022 at 7:22 PM, jimbo27 said:

Welcome, what is 

coinbuff, l respect your answer but can’t you see the “S”mm that others see I see an S plain as day an then if you focus on where the round circle is if you focus at 12 o’clock position unwilling see the serif on original S and then focus at 8 o’clock position an you will see lower round serif Of orig “S” mm ten other coin collectors see this an I had trouble at first seeing it. I respect your opinion without different ones it would be a very sad world thank you

On 5/1/2022 at 8:28 PM, N H Ourso said:

if you focus on where the round circle

Yes, that round circle is an O. There is no "S". I have never seen an S that has the geometric qualities of an O and can be described as "a round circle". If such a thing ever exists my entire understanding of the letters of the English alphabet is entirely wrong. 

I'm afraid you are looking so close you are willing something into existence that does not exist. You have a mid-AU $40 coin that is completely normal in every way imaginable. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:28 PM, N H Ourso said:

coinbuff, l respect your answer but can’t you see the “S”mm that others see I see an S plain as day an then if you focus on where the round circle is if you focus at 12 o’clock position unwilling see the serif on original S and then focus at 8 o’clock position an you will see lower round serif Of orig “S” mm ten other coin collectors see this an I had trouble at first seeing it. I respect your opinion without different ones it would be a very sad world thank you

No I see a New Orleans mintmark that has taken a hit, it would seem that you are experiencing pareidolia to see what you want to be there.   If you know ten other collectors that think they see it then I suggest you sell it to one of them.

Edited by Coinbuf

i see it too id take to a coin dealer and ask their opinion because posted photos are never as they seem in real life on here, hope its true, but isnt that why we do this were all looking for for that 1955 Lincoln

Its definately an O.  Coinbuf nailed it. The eyes are tricking the mind into thinking its an S. I wouldnt listen to those other collectors if they told you that. But its no dout a New Orleans mint mark. 

Welcome N H Ourso . Everyone that has said it is a O with a hit or a dent are trying to help. These members know there coins inside and out. No one wants to see you spend money on a damaged coin.

I also see an 1884-O that took a hit to the mintmark.  The US Mint used specific punches for mint marks and none even remotely resembled an S like you claim

Here is a link that shows nearly every die combination used for striking Morgan dollars.  Compare the 1884-S mm to yours and you'll easily see you have an O

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/Home

On 5/1/2022 at 10:28 PM, N H Ourso said:

N H Ourso -- Here is a photo of the mintmark on an authentic 1884-S Morgan silver dollar. They all resemble this photo with minor variations from one reverse die to the next. Also, an 1884-S coin is not rare except in  choice uncirculated condition. A nice looking extremely fine condition coin has a retail value of about $75. Your coin is a badly scratched 1884-O with rim damage. It is a common date/mint in common condition.

Image1.thumb.jpg.62ddd4c758d2377b555bcdbc72a0830e.jpg

Edited by RWB

Perhsps there is something to this You Tube craze.  I think some of these guys are on a roll.  :roflmao:

Starting bid:
US $49,999.99

1934 Mule Penny Memorial Back Lincoln Cent Authentic

starting bid:  US $49,999.99

Condition:
--

s-l1600.jpg