• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full Steps on Jefferson Nickel
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, Tricia Correia said:

Are the "full Steps" on the Jefferson Nickel a wanted/sought coin? I'm so confused with this.

Yes, for the many years in which the reverse didn't always strike up fully. FS is tough because the slightest break in any step rules the coin out. I am not sure when they changed the minting process so that 6FS became the norm, but in modern mintages I think they are quite common.

The simple answer is yes, but the amount of premium is different for each year, and proof coin do not receive the full step designation as they are expect to have a full strike.   Also it is important to understand that the first step is not the lines but the section the pillars are on, this and the proof coins not receiving the designation are often misunderstood by new or casual collectors.

Welcome to the forum.

On 4/30/2022 at 6:16 PM, Tricia Correia said:

Are the "full Steps" on the Jefferson Nickel a wanted/sought coin? I'm so confused with this.

It might also be helpful if you tell us what research you have done on your own.  Google is your friend.  There's a ton of information out there.  You learn and retain information better when you do some research.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:38 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Also, There are some people out there that advertise 4FS ..No No No  there is only 5 and 6 FS

Heh. Advertising 4FS is like advertising 'Monticello fully outlined,' and about as germane to value.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Also, There are some people out there that advertise 4FS ..No No No  there is only 5 and 6 FS

Sounds like a sticker company I know of: Almost full steps. Almost full torch. 90% there.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:28 PM, Cpy79 said:

Currently putting an MS 66 FS collection together. Fun and challenging to find them with good eye appeal, especially pre 1955. 

Always nice to see another Jeff collector. Are you doing a 38 to date collection or just the earlier years?

On 5/12/2022 at 6:06 PM, Lem E said:

Always nice to see another Jeff collector. Are you doing a 38 to date collection or just the earlier years?

Trying to do a 38 to date. A long grind ahead of me, but excited for it. Only 33 spots filled so far…but adding a few every month. 

Edited by Cpy79

On 5/13/2022 at 7:50 AM, J P Mashoke said:

So that's who has been buying up all the nice MS 66 FS nickels I have been looking at on the internet. (Just Kidding ) Cpy79, Welcome to the forum. Like Lem I am also happy to see a new nickel collector here. (thumbsu

Ha!  Thanks.