• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I make a big mistake??
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2022 at 10:45 PM, Coinbuf said:

Worse etsy types are now showing up in droves on the coin forums like here and ats.   Ebay I can deal with as I spend very little of my time there and only look at a few select sellers or items, but infecting the forums is really starting to lessen my enjoyment of them.

I do have an active non-banned account “ATS”, but I read the posts occasionally and am discouraged. I don’t bother posting. CoinTalk on the other hand, deserves any evil that befalls them. 

Unfortunately Scott even though you didn't believe our opinions, you got the one that matters to your submission already. DWLange who responded works at NGC, and may be the person looking at your coin. If he said plated it will come back from NGC as plated. You don't even have to wait on the inevitable response now. I can understand taking a small gamble, but I really wish you had saved your money on this one. 

Members here have a lot of honest, useful information, and offer it freely to new collectors. Those who post coins, ask for input, then offhandedly reject members' comments merely do themselves a disservice. Please remember that someone new to any specialty subject cannot have the knowledge that persons with years of experience have.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Normally, I see only those coins submitted to NGC for variety attribution. The mint errors go to David Camire, though he sometimes forwards them to me if he believes they should have been submitted for varieties instead. Either way, the outcome will be the same.

On 5/2/2022 at 11:11 PM, Coinbuf said:

Worth a small fortune on etsy.  ;)

Yep! Just sold the "Tough Luck Collection" on esty for big bucks! Got enough $$$ to buy a new chrome-plated lug nut for my spare Bentley.

To: Rwb, Woods020,DWLange and others......I guess I did make a big mistake. I didn't know you all were "tied in" with NGC. I thought you were random coin collectors, who helped others. I see that many of you have experience, but I didn't know about the connection. Over the years, I've been given bad information by so called "expert's" way too many times. It would probably make your head spin! I never put the connection together with you all and NGC and that's my fault. It's reassuring that you know what you're talking about and I will definitely remember that going forward. I thought this was like any other chat board. But when I saw people responding and saying things like they were talking to the graders, it obviously made me wonder. So I apologize if I came off not listening to your advice. I also appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my posts and others.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, Scott0949 said:

To: Rwb, Woods020,DWLange and others......I guess I did make a big mistake. I didn't know you all were "tied in" with NGC. I thought you were random coin collectors, who helped others. I see that many of you have experience, but I didn't know about the connection. Over the years, I've been given bad information by so called "expert's" way too many times. It would probably make your head spin! I never put the connection together with you all and NGC and that's my fault. It's reassuring that you know what you're talking about and I will definitely remember that going forward. I thought this was like any other chat board. But when I saw people responding and saying things like they were talking to the graders, it obviously made me wonder. So I apologize if I came off not listening to your advice. I also appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my posts and others.

I can’t be just some guy at the end of the bar. I don’t go to bars. All I do, now that I’m retired, is coins. But I still don’t do coin roll hunting, and I don’t own a digital microscope. That is what I do to keep my numismatic IQ up there. 

Well, you may not be connected to NGC, but you all seem to know what you're talking about. It's comforting to know that many of you know what you're talking about. I got tired of dealing with "armchair" quarterbacks in the numismatic world.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:22 PM, Scott0949 said:

Well, you may not be connected to NGC, but you all seem to know what you're talking about. It's comforting to know that many of you know what you're talking about. I got tired of dealing with "armchair" quarterbacks in the numismatic world.

It’s a nasty world out there in numismatics - more charlatans than you’d want or expect. Even some people out there who used to be knowledgeable but who have refused to keep up and stay current. Some are even head moderators on other boards. 

Edited by VKurtB