• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking recommendations on a decent coin scope/magnifier

9 posts in this topic

Is there a decent scope/magnifier that also takes quality digital photos anyone could recommend?  I was looking online and not familiar with some of the brands I was seeing.  I want to be able to get better views and also be able to post better examples.  

On 4/19/2022 at 9:22 PM, Woods020 said:

If you need a microscope and camera AMSCOPE is a popular and reputable choice. Spend the extra money to get a stereo microscope. Microscopes and the cameras are one area you for sure get what you pay for. 

Now if you just need something to view coins and snap some pics without concern for quality go with one of the $40 USB microscopes you can plug into a computer. 

With that said generally speaking a microscope is not needed in this hobby. I have one and used it a lot in the beginning. Now that I have learned much more I am glad it came with a dust cover because I haven't touched it in atleast 6 months. And I am looking at coins daily. 

Agree with every word of this. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:05 PM, J P Mashoke said:

You can do brain surgery with that one. I think I would need brain surgery if I needed a scope that intense.

Well, it can produce nice coin photos.... :)

When looking at a scope for coins, THE critical thing is NOT magnification, it’s maximum field size. How large an area do you want to see at maximum? (Minimum magnification.)

My phone takes great photos with coins being the exception.  What I'd really like is something I can get decent pics from.  From the whole entire coin or just for closer looks at things like DD, RPM, etc.  It's just a hobby for me so I don't need anything that would be used in a Princeton Science Lab.  When I see great posts here and can't duplicate the quality, been left wondering what others are using.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:45 AM, MN1 said:

My phone takes great photos with coins being the exception.  What I'd really like is something I can get decent pics from.  From the whole entire coin or just for closer looks at things like DD, RPM, etc.  It's just a hobby for me so I don't need anything that would be used in a Princeton Science Lab.  When I see great posts here and can't duplicate the quality, been left wondering what others are using.

Look under microscopes NOT for biology, but those with far LOWER magnification ranges. Some say they’re for circuit boards or hobbies. Amscope, as @Woods020 wrote, is where I’d recommend one look.