• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 1 oz silver eagle weight
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Weight and purity along with a minimum of 1troy ounce of silver  are guaranteed by the US government 

• Composition: 99.9% silver
  • Weight: 1.000 troy oz. (31.103 grams)
  • Diameter: 1.598 inches (40.60 mm) 

It should not have significant deviations from the specs unlike silver rounds and bars. 

On 4/5/2022 at 8:25 PM, 901 Coins said:

I have several of these that are freaking me out. 

IMG_1638.jpeg

I have seen some 0.10 grams over the spec which seems acceptable. Yours seems a bit high. Recalibrate scale with 100 grams, use a different year ASE to see the weight, next try the 2022 again and see what happens. Did you buy them from a trusted source? Don’t freak out yet. 

Edited by Walter Holmes
Used wrong date

Hi Walter,

the scale is really accurate and was calibrated before use as I do every time. The seller is Aydin coin. I know they do a ton of business online but these coins have me freaked out. I have another 11 se’s from them that all weight correctly. This coin came from a 20 coin tube I got from the dealer and about 1/2 the coins are way heavy like this. 

BD0A27A6-F755-494F-A123-3B3CD71B751C.jpeg

Edited by 901 Coins

Check em  with a magnet and do the ring test on the counter. Drop one style from a couple inches repeat with questionable coin and listen for difference. I’m gunna look in my ase bible and see if there’s any mention. 😉🙀🦫

D3F55669-CE8D-4C69-93B4-AD6A305C2787.jpeg

Edited by James Zyskowski

Only what I’ve read about Aydin on EBay. I get my bullion direct from a US Mint authorized dealer In Delaware. I’m on a business trip until Saturday and haven’t weighed any of the 2022 ASE’s that I have. Since you’ve aroused   my curiosity I will weigh a few tubes to see if there are any anomalies like yours and will post results here. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:33 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Check em  with a magnet and do the ring test on the counter. Drop one style from a couple inches repeat with questionable coin and listen for difference. I’m gunna look in my ase bible and see if there’s any mention. 😉🙀🦫

D3F55669-CE8D-4C69-93B4-AD6A305C2787.jpeg

Yes a magnetic slant test is a good idea

On 4/5/2022 at 10:00 PM, 901 Coins said:

I just re weighed the heaviest/lightest from that tube and the heavy coin is indeed thicker. 

This just may be a blank anomaly. Things in the silver market are getting stranger every day. US Mint cancels Peace and Morgan $’s in 2022 due to blank shortage. Authorized buyers of bullion products have had their allocations not only cut in half , but delivery has been pushed out from weekly to bi-weekly. Private mints are struggling to keep up with demand and premiums are through the roof. Demand pressures may be over riding quality control. 

Easiest thing you can do is the ice test.  Silver melts ice much faster than it has any right to.  Get an ice cube, and press the edge of the coin into the ice cube.  It will melt the ice and go through the cube pretty easily if it is indeed silver.  

@901 Coins okay as promised I have weighed several tubes of 2022 ASE’s and found a few that weighed 31.35 grams or 1.105 toz. In comparison I weighed a tube of 1996 ASE’s and I found one that weighed 31.37 grams. 

I do not doubt the authenticity of either of these years as they came from the same source. There is a reason distributors have the disclaimer that PM’s are non-fungible and priced in troy ounces. I did do a sliding magnetic test and ping test just to be sure. They all passed having slightly less magnetic resistance than a Morgan $. Hope this helps. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 4/5/2022 at 8:00 PM, Walter Holmes said:

I have seen some 0.10 grams over the spec which seems acceptable. Yours seems a bit high. Recalibrate scale with 100 grams, use a different year ASE to see the weight, next try the 2002 again and see what happens. Did you buy them from a trusted source? Don’t freak out yet. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:58 PM, Walter Holmes said:

@901 Coins okay as promised I have weighed several tubes of 2022 ASE’s and found a few that weighed 31.35 grams or 1.105 toz. In comparison I weighed a tube of 1996 ASE’s and I found one that weighed 31.37 grams. 

I do not doubt the authenticity of either of these years as they came from the same source. There is a reason distributors have the disclaimer that PM’s are non-fungible and priced in troy ounces. I did do a sliding magnetic test and ping test just to be sure. They all passed having slightly less magnetic resistance than a Morgan $. Hope this helps. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks! It’s weird the eagles have such a wide tolerance! 

As with most other "coins" these planchets are made by a contractor and delivered in bulk - not individually weighed. The Mint pays for a bulk weight and quantity that averages the correct legal weight per piece. A few samples are taken for quality control, but most never see a scale or balance.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, Walter Holmes said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am glad I have found your post in which I found information related to my favorite coins. I actually want to find a site online in which I can read reviews for an essay writer and when I was searching for it on google search I found your post link.

Thanks a lot for this info.

Edited by Alonzo Wilson

If they are not dead on to the specified weight by +/- .001 grams then they are fake. Is this BS? Just send them all to me and I’ll take care of them for you as a favor to you… pretty nice deal though isn’t it. I’ll take the responsibility of hunting them down until we are all on schedule with what we payed for.