• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering if this is mint error or damage later? It looks different than other damaged coins I've seen. Metal looks moved and set not moved from damage, if that makes sense?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Oops don't think I did that right😬. Sorry, 1st attempt to ask a question from the peanut gallery. There's also clearly an impression or a  shadow of Lincoln's eye and face. Doesn't make sense to me, that can't be damage. Anything anyone with knowledge can tell me would be greatly appreciated. I'm obviously new to the hobby and new to posting chat stuff. Thanks

It's a parking lot coin. That is consistent with post-mint damage from people walking on it while carrying their bags of Ho Hos and artisanal hummus to their Honda Accords in the parking lot of the Super Mega Serial Price Slasher Grocery Store. It is not special.

I realize there's alot of damage. Can you tell me why there's a shadow or an impression of Lincoln's nose and eye right above? Ho hos and hummus, made me laugh. How could the face double from damage? Fourth pic you can clearly see another outline of the top of his face. I don't have a scope just a crappy smart phone.

Damage can be interesting, but this is damage.  As a rule, most errors (double die, cud, cracks/chips...etc) will leave a raised surface of the coin reflecting the error.  There are some errors that leave an incuse mark (strike though would be an example), however, for the doubling you claim to be seeing - the image would be raised.  That said, I do not see the error to which you are referring.

Just damage, looking at clouds in the sky can yield lots of interesting images, but its all just in our imagination just like your second face on this coin is just wishful thinking.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:47 AM, tj96 said:

That 1942 has been through the war!!

Weren’t they all?

On 3/31/2022 at 4:46 PM, VKurtB said:

Weren’t they all?

Yes, but this one came home wounded.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:11 AM, Jayhill2112 said:

There's also clearly an impression or a  shadow of Lincoln's eye and face.

Nope. Clearly not. 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, RWB said:

What make vehicle ran over it? ... Or was it hit by a lawn mower first....?

A Yugo, then a Toro, which was heavier than the car.