• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Rim Restricted Design Duplication?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I hope you are all doing well. It's been a while and for that I apologize. I just been kinda out of it all for a bit. 

I recently ran across this 1982 Small Date Copper Lincoln Cent with what looks like some of the letters from the word AMERICA from the Motto on the rim/edge. I believe it to be similar to the title of this thread but I can't say for sure because the given examples I've seen are all with the same word as is below that part of the rim and mine would be letters from directly across the Coin on the opposite rim. So is mine maybe rotated somehow? Or what? Maybe it's not even the rim restricted yada yay? I do not believe it to be PMD like a vise job, as there is no other evidence of that on the Coin anywhere. Any input you guys may have is, as always, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Karen

PXL_20220324_033425164~2.jpg

PXL_20220324_033434461~2.jpg

PXL_20220324_033700878~2.jpg

PXL_20220324_033009858.jpg

Vice job, another coin (or object) was pressed into the rim and left an impression.   Copper/zinc is soft and that can be done without damaging the rim on the other side.   A Rim Restricted Design Duplication results in the design being raised on the rim, from the photos your coin appears to be incuse on the rim.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

Vice job, another coin (or object) was pressed into the rim and left an impression.   Copper/zinc is soft and that can be done without damaging the rim on the other side.   A Rim Restricted Design Duplication results in the design being raised on the rim, from the photos your coin appears to be incuse on the rim.

Correct except for the spelling of vise. 

Me and VKurt, the Grammar Nazis. Lol! 

And so I present you all with this screen shot of a similar Coin but it being a 2nd Strike something or other. However, the incuse Anvil Die wasn't used until after 1982, I am grasping at straws. But just want to show it anyway. 

@VKurtBHow have you been, Sir? 

Screenshot_20220326-194804.png

Screenshot_20220326-194751.png

I see a hit mark on the obverse exactly opposite of the rim marks your looking at Karen. I think it is just  transfer damage of whatever it was on top of. Maybe another coin who's to say just a observation on my part.

Spelling was never my strong point. lol  As you know your coin is too early to have been struck with the reverse die as the hammer die, so while similar in look it just cannot be what happened to your 1982 cent.    Also let us take a closer look at the impressions on the rim of your coin.   The one strong impression does resemble the center of the letter A, however the two marks to the right of the impression that looks like an A do not match the next letter M.   Notice that those two appear to be much closer together than the space between the tops of an M would be, and the shape of the indentations is not slanted like the top of an M would be.   Also the impression that is farthest right (closest to 12 o'clock) has a slightly half moon shape to it which the letter M does not.   And lastly there is another indentation to the left of the one that resembles an A which does not match the shape of an F which would be the letter on the left of the A.

From what I see nothing matches up correctly for a die struck error, while an interesting coin my opinion is that this is still some type of post mint transfer (vise ;) job or inadvertent damage) and not a mint error.

Bty there was a thread recently on the PCGS forum where a Morgan dollar had the same issue, I tried to find it but was unable to.

Agree with @Coinbuf.  Notice on the error-ref pics how the letters on the rim match the letters on the coin.  Yours shows letters from some other location. That can't happen for this type of error unless you saw other features that would indicate the coin rotated, such as double striking on the opposite side.  Yours doesn't show that.

You have a vise job PMD

https://www.error-ref.com/rim-restricted-second-strikes/

On 3/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

A Rim Restricted Design Duplication results in the design being raised on the rim, from the photos your coin appears to be incuse on the rim.

Is the design incuse, Karen?

On 3/29/2022 at 10:35 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

Me and VKurt, the Grammar Nazis. Lol! 

And so I present you all with this screen shot of a similar Coin but it being a 2nd Strike something or other. However, the incuse Anvil Die wasn't used until after 1982, I am grasping at straws. But just want to show it anyway. 

@VKurtBHow have you been, Sir? 

Screenshot_20220326-194804.png

Screenshot_20220326-194751.png

Karen, aside from my first “core surgery” (non-extremity), I am doing well. As it involved the digestive tract, I’m learning some new “rules” that will be affecting my gut. Just what I had in mind - even more restrictions on my favorite foods. Thanks for asking. I’ll hang in there and keep challenging those here who take themselves way too seriously. 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Karen, aside from my first “core surgery” (non-extremity), I am doing well. As it involved the digestive tract, I’m learning some new “rules” that will be affecting my gut. Just what I had in mind - even more restrictions on my favorite foods. Thanks for asking. I’ll hang in there and keep challenging those here who take themselves way too seriously. 

I hear you. Sorry to hear you were sick. Hopefully though, even with the restrictions, you'll manage to hang around for a while longer. Right? The alternative to those restrictions aren't likely favorable at all. 

Shew! Gut is probably my least favorite word on Webster's. Lol! Especially those ads that the women say it. Ick! I don't know why I hate it so, but I do. 

@Just Bobno. It is not.

@J P Mashokeok. I was hopeful. Lol! Cause I never find anything great. 

@CoinbufI see what you're saying. I was thinking more of the ERIC, but that doesn't float either. I know you guys are correct. I was just hoping...

@OldhoopsterThat was what I was hoping for was a rotation in there somewhere. I couldn't figure how that could have happened, but was hopeful.

Ok guys. I am satisfied. Thanks for being patient with me. -Karen

On 3/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

I hear you. Sorry to hear you were sick. Hopefully though, even with the restrictions, you'll manage to hang around for a while longer. Right? The alternative to those restrictions aren't likely favorable at all. 

Shew! Gut is probably my least favorite word on Webster's. Lol! Especially those ads that the women say it. Ick! I don't know why I hate it so, but I do. 

Many millennials feel the same way about the word “moist”. For me, it’s “vibrant rainbow toning”. Oops, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtBOh my. You are too funny. I am hardly a Millennial, h e double toothpicks, I had to look at your comment to spell it correctly. I honestly do not know why I hate it so. I guess really only whenever a woman talks about her gut. For Dudes, it's all good. Dudes have guts. Women have belly's or tummy's or stomach, h e double toothpicks, I would even go for Digestive Tract. Lol! Don't you be calling me that M word anymore.