• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commemoratives
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

What are your thoughts on Commemoratives?  You guys have been awesome helping me and others discern the intricacies of my latest restarted hobby.  But I'm still looking for more, (the itch I can't scratch).

I'm looking at several silver (and one gold) Commemoratives.  Many are fairly inexpensive - while others are $300+.  (ouch!)  (yes, I ordered the Purple Heart series from the Mint - not the inflated prices.)  Do you collect commemoratives?  why?

Booker T Washington and many others were over-produced, or the subject matter was not high on the social ladder at the time.  For me, it's a great way to teach kids history.

Is there a book you recommend on Commemoratives?  I hope this is not a previously covered topic that I missed.

God Bless,

Chris

On 3/26/2022 at 2:39 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

Hi, What are your thoughts on Commemoratives?  You guys have been awesome helping me and others discern the intricacies of my latest restarted hobby.  But I'm still looking for more, (the itch I can't scratch).  I'm looking at several silver (and one gold) Commemoratives.  Many are fairly inexpensive - while others are $300+.  (ouch!)  (yes, I ordered the Purple Heart series from the Mint - not the inflated prices.)  Do you collect commemoratives?  why?

Booker T Washington and many others were over-produced, or the subject matter was not high on the social ladder at the time.  For me, it's a great way to teach kids history.  Is there a book you recommend on Commemoratives?  I hope this is not a previously covered topic that I missed.  God Bless, Chris

Commemoratives are "cheap" relative to other series.  Of course, they had 2 bubbles in the last 4 decades and that meant they could fall a long way -- on the order of 85% peak-to-trough -- to the recent lows.

Lots of commemoratives now sell for little more than spot value of the underlying metal.  Only pay a premium that is rich if you like/love the underlying coin.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:38 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I shop commemoratives a lot and they were cheap about a year ago but in the last six months everyone is bidding on them and pushing up the prices more. I find I have to look a lot harder for good deals on any coins lately. 

Are the premiums up or just the overall price ?  Gold is up 15% and new buyers are coming in.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:14 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Are the premiums up or just the overall price ?  Gold is up 15% and new buyers are coming in.

Like we talked about before unlike bullion when a older coin goes up in price it will stay up there for a long time unless something drastic changes, All of the Classic Silver Commemoratives are up, not so much the Moderns.  

I find the early commemoratives are too pricey but moderns I can do. I prefer high grade , nice coins ,so that don’t help being picky.  😎
I can’t repeat enough.   Buy what you like. 
When I started buying new issues from the mint it was easy. I liked it or not. With back issues a red book was helpful. I could study designs and check mintage. Several of us here grabbed the 2008 with the sweet bald eagle issue.  Moderns can be found for cheap (under $40)    Silver, to boot 
As always my 2 cent 😉🙀🦫

Edited by James Zyskowski

By the way, there are ancient commemoratives of a sort, from the Constantinian era. The bronzes are very common and not tremendously fascinating to me, as much as anything because Constantine and Constantius are this ocean of different types and one sees them so often one fatigues of them.

I have been looking for two coins Lexington and Pilgrim both coins are from my home state and I passed on both coins last April at a MS 63 . I find those two commemoratives like others are a poorly stricken coin so I have been in search of something that actually  looks like a 63 instead of a AU 55 which most do, and now they are respectfully much higher in price than what they were last year. I always say I will wait and something will come along but I may have missed the boat on those coins. 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:12 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I have been looking for two coins Lexington and Pilgrim both coins are from my home state and I passed on both coins last April at a MS 63 . I find those two commemoratives like others are a poorly stricken coin so I have been in search of something that actually  looks like a 63 instead of a AU 55 which most do, and now they are respectfully much higher in price than what they were last year. I always say I will wait and something will come along but I may have missed the boat on those coins. 

So many times I would see a coin I wanted or needed and would sleep on it overnight.  The next morning (that's right) it was gone. 

Trust me, others will come along!  Have you checked here?

https://www.northeastcoin.com/inventory.jsp

On 3/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, tj96 said:

So many times I would see a coin I wanted or needed and would sleep on it overnight.  The next morning (that's right) it was gone. 

I hear ya. Im always a day late and a dollar short. 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, tj96 said:

Yes I go there a lot. Thanks tj96........I got this coin from NE just because I thought it was the nicest looking ,ugly coin I had ever seen.:roflmao:I have to say there is just way to much stuff going on the obverse

1953 S +.jpg

1953 S reverse.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 3/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Yes I go there a lot. Thanks tj96........I got this coin from NE just because I thought it was the nicest looking ,ugly coin I had ever seen.:roflmao:I have to say there is just way to much stuff going on the obverse

1953 S +.jpg

1953 S reverse.jpg

Yes, the obverse is busy but it's all there!!  👍🏻

Edited by tj96

Don Taxy’s old book gives a lot of information on how the designs were developed. I have greatly enjoyed the book by Anthony Swaitek, but it was expensive and probably hard to find now. David Bowers also wrote one years ago that is large and comprehensive on the old commemoratives and the new up to the time of publication. 

All good info guys.  But I looked at those prices up there and they are higher than Apmex.  :(  I'll give it a try and put a couple of bids out.  I know it will take practice, and simple - stick my head out and see what happens.  As yet, I haven't seen anything I really want yet.  I'll keep you posted if I get something.

GB,

Chris

Lee's book, that RWB mentioned above, will be THE Definitive Work on classic commemorative coins. In fact, it may end up being more than one volume; he has amassed so much information that one book may not be able to hold it all. I am very curious about how such a work will affect collectors' perceptions of commemoratives, and what may happen to the popularity, and therefore the prices, if the book does well.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:10 AM, Just Bob said:

Lee's book, that RWB mentioned above, will be THE Definitive Work on classic commemorative coins. In fact, it may end up being more than one volume; he has amassed so much information that one book may not be able to hold it all. I am very curious about how such a work will affect collectors' perceptions of commemoratives, and what may happen to the popularity, and therefore the prices, if the book does well.

When is he thinking it will publish? I want a copy. 

I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but I don't know if a publication date has been set yet. I am not sure he has even finished researching all of the coins. I do know that the excerpts that he has posted were chock full of all kinds of information, photos, and extensive documentation. When he does get it ready, I want to be in line to put in my order. 

He pops in over here from time to time. Maybe he will see this thread and give us an update.