• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 S 1C Proof error?

12 posts in this topic

First of all, thank you for taking the time to view/respond to my inquiry. I have a 1979 S Proof penny that I purchased in a proof mint set. I recently noticed what appears to be a hole in the middle of the memorial side above or on Lincoln's head. I took the coin out of the original US mint plastic case, with rubber gloves on of course. Very careful, mind you, as to not damage any of the coins. Only used my hand to do this, no hammers or screwdrivers.  I thought maybe it was some dust or debris, however upon further inspection it appears to be a hole. There also appears to be something in the "C" of cent. Is this an error at all? Should I attempt to clean the coin to see if it's just debris? What, if anything, should I do with it, i.e, send it off for grading/analysis? Would it be worth the money to find out? Lastly, is there such a thing as an error no one has seen yet? I understand in the case of errors, typically there are multiple coins produced with similar errors. I wasn't able to find anything when searching the interweb.

IMG_20220223_084456838.thumb.jpg.c21100069753c66fdb7930ad82a2379f.jpgThank you for any help/knowledge you may bestowed upon a newbie coin collector.

IMG_20220223_084456838.jpg

IMG_20220222_103215549_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220222_103343636_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220223_084219484.jpg

It looks like a corrosion/carbon spot on the C, if there is actually a depression or hole in the center of the memorial that could be a strike thru perhaps or it could be damage.   See if you can get an in focus tight shot of that.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/23/2022 at 10:16 AM, NateD79 said:

I apologize for the crappy photos. This is probably the best I can achieve with this phone. 

IMG_20220223_111418069.jpg

Looks like a carbon spot to me. “Hear me now and think about it later.” Not just any difference is an error. Almost no differences are errors. This drives me mad more than anything in coins. It’s getting insane. I blame YouTube misinformation. Or SOMEWHERE on the Internet. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/23/2022 at 10:19 PM, Woods020 said:

Is the area depressed or just black?

I’m depressed, for having looked at it. I’m not, however, black. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:47 AM, VKurtB said:

I’m depressed, for having looked at it. 

He is asking about it in the newbie section.  He is not claiming it's worth a fortune, or that he thinks he has some rare coin.  He is simply asking a question, in the proper forum.  Why do you always find it necessary to be so rude to people?  Perhaps you, and the forum in general, would be better off if you just scrolled on by the newbie section altogether.  

Welcome Nate, I have a few proof sets myself . it looks like you have more than just those spots it looks like more near the edges on both sides ? I can say that even though the mint is very carful when making the proof sets sometimes a speck of foreign material gets on a coin or is in the metal itself. After a while it will stain or corrode the metal.  

Edited by J P Mashoke

this happens to older proof sets all of the time.  they get these little hideous black spots on them.  if it were Cindy Crawford it would be sexy but since it isnt :(