• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963d US penny weighs 1.89 grams and is 1 mm thick thick

25 posts in this topic

im not sure what this penny was struck on. it has no apparent deterioration and is not filed in anyway. i took it to a local coin show in va beach,va yesterday and the area expert on wrong plancette coins,Gary kozera, seems to feel that it is a wrong planchette coin and is currently seeking opinions from colleagues and through forums like this . i dont know how to add pictures but will try. weighs 1.89 and is 1 mm thick

Edited by steve ingram

Looks really interesting.

Oh, wait. We don't have pictures to look at, thus we have zero basis for any form of educated help to offer you.

With regards to jkk,I guess you need to be with NGC for a length of time b4 you're allowed to blatantly be an individual_without_enough_empathy so I'll not respond in the same fashion as you have. I might add that I did say I'm not sure how to add pictures . Knowing that I am a newbie perhaps you could've offered assistance in that area rather than taking the crude and socially unacceptable one you chose. I think that raps up any further conversation between you and I . As for coinbuf thank you ,I'm happy to be aboard and it's nice to know they're are gentlemen in this forum as well. I'm going to shortly attempt photos of the described coin I would ,at that point love to hear your opinion as well as other respectful opinions from those that have no an interest. Take care  and stay safe

When I first started I had trouble posting pics. Always said my photos were large and other things.  I ended up finding a photo editing app at Google Play Store where I could crop them up pretty good. 

Those images are good enough to tell what has happened.  This is a cent that has bee soaked in acid.  The acid eats away the metal relatively evenly on all the surfaces  making the coin smaller, and thinner, but since the action is even the details remain clear.  But eventually the reduction in the diameter causes the loss of the rim,

So this is just Post Strike Damage.

I'll have to measure the diameter again but I'm almost certain that it was slightly larger than the normal penny. Would that change your opinion? Also I am going to a local metas dealer today to find the metal composition and will update on this forum as well as the actual diameter. Thanks for your response

Even though the photos are a little out of focus, it looks like an acid etched coin to me. The rims are usually the first to go and that appears the to be the case here. Also it should be slightly smaller in diameter. Place it over a regular cent and see the difference.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:21 AM, steve ingram said:

Should read jerk

I guess asking you to see anything from anyone else's perspective was enough in itself for you to lose your marbles. I am always amazed at how people can be thoughtless and then expect consideration.

I agree with others. This is seen somewhat regularly. The larger coins, say a JFK half, will look like a pulley with the center dissolved. With a cent being so small and the layers so thin it may not be as evident. 

Edited by Woods020

The alloy is 95% copper and 5% zinc. Both react with almost any common acid, even acetic acid in vinegar. The OP's coin treated with acid and contrary to the claim "it has no apparent deterioration" when placed next to a normal cent the damage is obvious. If reported correctly, whoever this "area expert at a Virginia Beach coin show was," he/she was clearly either trying to humiliate the OP or was barely bright enough to inhale and exhale. ;)

Revision -- the person named by the OP is reported as the Virginia CONECA representative. Given this, it is possible the OP misunderstood what he was told. It is very difficult to imagine this person believing the OPs coin might be an "off metal" piece.

Edited by RWB

On 2/22/2022 at 6:22 PM, Greenstang said:

There are no layers, it is a copper cent.

Agreed. Poor choice of words. I was actually meaning to say was it was harder to tell because there is no distinct void like with the JFKs I referenced. Being small and without multi composition it just simply gets smaller overall. It is tougher for a newbie to tell if they haven't seen one before. 

Oh jkk perhaps you should reread your comment which is without any doubt rude and sarcastic. So I should add that I'm not sure how you can come on the forum and blast someone new who admitted he wasn't sure yet how to post pictures. And then expect that I ir anyone with any sense at all would want to hear anything else you may have to say. . I'm happy that the others chimed in and I must admit all are on the same page so I will indeed heed thier instruction  and give up on this one with appreciation for them taking the time for me. You however I have no use for

On 2/22/2022 at 9:18 PM, steve ingram said:

Oh jkk perhaps you should reread your comment which is without any doubt rude and sarcastic. So I should add that I'm not sure how you can come on the forum and blast someone new who admitted he wasn't sure yet how to post pictures. And then expect that I ir anyone with any sense at all would want to hear anything else you may have to say. . I'm happy that the others chimed in and I must admit all are on the same page so I will indeed heed thier instruction  and give up on this one with appreciation for them taking the time for me. You however I have no use for

Well…. let’s start with the fact that JKK is well known to possess vast expertise in his specialty. I dunno, should count for sumpin. 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:18 PM, steve ingram said:

I didn't "blast" you. Saying that demonstrates that you are not a truthful person. I would normally no longer bother with your kind, except that when one allows a liar to twist the truth without countering the twistage, it tends to become public perception. I never called you a name until now (something you immediately leaped to do).

An objective observer might say my initial reply was scornful, and in other circumstances I might repent of that, but not in these. It's clear enough to me that my first instinct was correct: It brought out the true person from beneath the veneer of bearability. Go ahead, smooch up to everyone else if it gives you reassurance, but do not lie. It's disgusting. Own your words like a big boy. I own mine. I scoffed mildly at you, later observed that you lost your marbles, and suggested that you were thoughtless yet wished consideration. Looks about right.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I don't remember anything in your since-edited OP about not knowing how to post photos. I am not sure whether or not you added that part later to look like less of an intestine, but at this point that seems not improbable given the twister mentality.

Hi Steve. All these guys are trying to do is help like they always do. I know your new but we see so many coins every day it can be frustrating and we can joke around a bit to keep it light hearted when there is not enough information to go on. Remember we are all collectors and some of us are Dealers and Appraisers and Authors. We love the hobby and try to help whenever and we can but understand it is a two way street you have to be patient and you will get all your answers. They may not be what you want to hear but I can say that the information you will receive will be as close to the truth you will find anywhere in the world. I am a Roll hunter and collector of odd coins. I wont call all of them error coins because a error coin most of the time is something that can be referenced somewhere. Here is a coin like yours only older. It also has no rim therefore it makes the coin much thinner 2.4g I do not know how it lost its rim maybe a old Coke Cola test . I don't think it came from the mint this way the devices would not be centered without a rim it would have moved anywhere it wanted before the strike so it is not a error coin just worn out.    

S20220223_0001.jpg

S20220223_0002.jpg

S20220223_0003.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke