• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Silver Dollar
1 1

49 posts in this topic

"The new owner is thrilled" sounds like GC bought it for a client. I am curious to see if the name will be released in the near future.

If I remember correctly the reserve for this coin was $7 million - or about $8 1/4 million with juice - when it failed to sell in 2020. $12 million is quite a hefty jump up from there. Congrats to Bruce and to the new owner.

...substantiated...often used as a crutch by narrowly minded persons who widely believe that for something to be true it has to be found in documented archives, which could have been written by broadly uninformed authors...in short just because its in a book doesnt make it so...hard physical evidence supersedes empirically biased printed words every time....eating a pastry much more satisfying than reading bout eating the same pastry....a wisely learned person once stated..."just cause it doesnt say it doesnt mean its not so"...

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

While other 1794's are known with a silver center, this one has something going on in the obverse center. What is that ?

It's a silver plug inserted at the mint prior to striking. This feature was first noticed by Skip Fazarri when the coin came into NGC many years ago and confirmed by me. It was then published in Coin World at the time. The coin later crossed to PCGS.

On 1/30/2022 at 9:50 AM, DWLange said:

While other 1794's are known with a silver center, this one has something going on in the obverse center. What is that ?

It's a silver plug inserted at the mint prior to striking. This feature was first noticed by Skip Fazarri when the coin came into NGC many years ago and confirmed by me. It was then published in Coin World at the time. The coin later crossed to PCGS.

Very cool you got to see that coin in person. Wonder why the mint put a plug in it? Was it something they were expirimenting with or something?

Edited by Hoghead515

I've been getting used to using Coin Explorer lately and there you'll find the explanation of the silver center plug to adjust planchet weight.

Was this adjustment procedure used prior to physical adjustment with a file or other mechanical means or just a more hygienic way to produce an attractive first silver dollar ?

On 1/30/2022 at 9:50 AM, DWLange said:

While other 1794's are known with a silver center, this one has something going on in the obverse center. What is that ?  It's a silver plug inserted at the mint prior to striking. This feature was first noticed by Skip Fazarri when the coin came into NGC many years ago and confirmed by me. It was then published in Coin World at the time. The coin later crossed to PCGS.

Do you believe this coin was the 1st one struck ?

Agreed, Just Bob -- These special terms are meaningless in themselves, and are being tossed about with no justification. Label it s "specimen," then prove it was intended to be special by the makers.

On 1/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, DWLange said:

This coin has an impressive provenance. Do you remember who submitted it to NGC originally, and do you recall the grade?

Do you remember who submitted it to NGC originally, and do you recall the grade?

The article is tucked into my Bowers-Borchardt book, which I'll have access to tomorrow.

This is part of the corporate "us or them" approach that I feel is detrimental.

NGC authenticates it, then PCGS authenticates it - but they do not create a comprehensive authentication analysis of the coin. All that we get in the "free world" are speculations and fluff articles. If this coin is so "special" then it merits a full examination by ALL THE BEST in the business, not just "us or them."

On 2/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, DWLange said:

Do you remember who submitted it to NGC originally, and do you recall the grade?

I don't know the submitter and couldn't report it if I did.

The coin was written up in the April 14, 2003 issue of Coin World as the first 1794 dollar reported with a mint-made silver plug, crediting the discovery to Skip Fazarri and me. NGC graded it MS-66.

The CW article reported that there already was speculation of it being the first federal silver dollar coined, but no source was given for that claim, and no one quoted in the article repeated it. I believe that determination was made only after it crossed to PCGS.

I don’t have the Amon Carter catalog to be able to confirm, but I believe that in their description of the coin, Stack’s wrote “It is perfectly conceivable that this coin was the very first Silver Dollar struck!”.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:01 PM, gmarguli said:

That is absolutely true. There is a 1 in 1758 chance that this is correct. 

Should this coin cross the desks of Heritage and you need added fluff for the auction description, you may quote me on this: It is perfectly conceivable that this coin was the 1134th Silver Dollar struck!

I’m not convinced or claiming that the coin was the first example struck. But based on its die state, your dismissal of its chances of being so, is way off base. 

Edited by MarkFeld

I checked the Newman Numismatic Portal, which has the 1984 catalog of the Carter Collection, and the quote Mark reported indeed is found there.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 104612.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 6:39 PM, MarkFeld said:

I’m not convinced or claiming that the coin was the first example struck. But based on its die state, your dismissal of its chances of being so, is way off base. 

1134th was meant to show the absurdity of guessing which number struck it was. This 1st coin struck garbage is nothing more than "if you repeat something enough it becomes true".

Let's just be honest about the coin. It is a very early strike, but impossible to know which number off the dies it was. It's just as conceivable that it was the 50th coin off the dies as the 1st. With only ~7% of the original mintage surviving and most worn/adjusted/damaged, it's impossible to know how quickly the die deteriorated. 

On 2/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, RWB said:

Note: It is also perfectly conceivable that is the was the very last 1794 silver dollar struck.

How so? Are you disputing the observation that the coin is the same die state as the 1794 copper pattern and that the latter would have likely been struck prior to the silver circulation strikes?

Thank you, but I'll take the extensive research of Martin Logies and his book on 1794 dollars, over your comment.

Edited by MarkFeld

On 2/2/2022 at 10:21 AM, MarkFeld said:

Are you disputing the observation that the coin is the same die state as the 1794 copper pattern and that the latter would have likely been struck prior to the silver circulation strikes?

This copper example you refer to would not be a pattern, but rather a Die Trial if struck first or Off Metal Strike if struck later in the production run. 

On 2/2/2022 at 4:43 PM, gmarguli said:

This copper example you refer to would not be a pattern, but rather a Die Trial if struck first or Off Metal Strike if struck later in the production run. 

Call it a Die Trial if you prefer.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, MarkFeld said:

How so? Are you disputing the observation that the coin is the same die state as the 1794 copper pattern and that the latter would have likely been struck prior to the silver circulation strikes?

Thank you, but I'll take the extensive research of Martin Logies and his book on 1794 dollars, over your comment.

No need to be snippity.....So much of the stuff about that coin is bologna that I am very skeptical. I'm not disputing facts - including that the copper piece and patched up silver piece are of the same die state. That alone, and that is about all there is, establishes very little. I would like to see this and other "special" pieces examined in the open by multiple experts from the TPGS and elsewhere.

How about simply cutting out the hype and lies, and merely prepare a factual, clear scientific examination and analysis of data, not financially suspect opinions. That will benefit everyone.