• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible error I.D. help
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I take it you are referring to picture #3, gets confusing with all the pictures.

If that is the case, then it looks to me that the markings are raised which means that it would be glue or some like substance on the coin. Try giving it an Acetone bath for 24 hrs and see if that will remove it .

Go back and look at what Greenstang recommended. If the areas are raised then it is probably an adhesive that should come off if you soak it in Acetone.  If the areas are incuse then it is most likely PMD.  It's hard to tell in pictures what is raised and what is incuse.  

Edited by GBrad

Interesting... Acetone may release it if indeed it is an adhesive of sorts.  But (me personally) I'd leave it alone.  It's a good curiosity.  However, I can't help but notice that the stars, arrows, and other features are still there.  Consider this: if it is incused (damaged) with something external in the circulation life of the coin, I think it would have more damage to the detail.  Also, the copper could have been exposed if it was exterior damage. MAYBE (we'll never know for sure) the blank had a problem before striking.  Curious that there are spot on the obverse, and so much damage on the reverse.  Too bad we don't have 3d pictures.

I also have a Kenedy (1969 S proof) that is rusting!  No, it's not magnetic, but it looks (through 10X magnification) like something was in the silver causing the corrosion. All I'm saying is, I have a curious Kennedy too.  Maybe it was the same guy striking the coins eating his lunch and was transferred from San Francisco to Phili.  Naaah!  :)

God Bless,

Chris

On 1/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

I also have a Kenedy (1969 S proof) that is rusting

Hello Chris.  Your 1969-S Proof I don't believe could possibly rust granted it was struck on its intended planchet.  Being comprised of 40% silver and 60% copper, neither one of these elements are predisposed to, or are able to, rust.  I'm not a professional metallurgist but unless your half somehow contains iron, which it shouldn't..... I don't see how it could actually rust.

Greg's absolutely correct.....silver and copper cannot rust.  It's metallurgically impossible.  They can develop corrosion of other kinds, especially copper, but they can't rust.  My guess is that your coin has some kind of corrosion related to the copper content.  I've seen that on 40% Kennedys before, typically along the edge of the coin.  If you post photos, we could likely tell you more about what's going on.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

I also have a Kenedy (1969 S proof) that is rusting!  No, it's not magnetic, but it looks (through 10X magnification) like something was in the silver causing the corrosion. All I'm saying is, I have a curious Kennedy too.

Yes Chris, I think @Mohawk has a great suggestion here.  I would personally love to see your Kennedy and what it looks like.  As opposed to posting it here on this member's thread, simply out of respect for the original poster, why not make a new thread for your coin.  I'm sure Mohawk and others would like to see it as well.  I'm sure there are other members who have not read down this far on this particular thread to see what we are talking about now.  It sounds pretty interesting and who knows, if you have a 40/60% Kennedy half, and it does in fact have rust, you may have something of value. I have never heard of a silver proof rusting.  I could only assume from what you described that you may have an off metal planchet error of sorts. If you do decide to make a thread for it, make sure you add the weight of it in 100th's of grams if you are able. Just MHO here and ya never know......   

Edited by GBrad

On 1/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, GBrad said:

Hello Chris.  Your 1969-S Proof I don't believe could possibly rust granted it was struck on its intended planchet.  Being comprised of 40% silver and 60% copper, neither one of these elements are predisposed to, or are able to, rust.  I'm not a professional metallurgist but unless your half somehow contains iron, which it shouldn't..... I don't see how it could actually rust.

FYI

Just to clarify.  40% silver coins have a 3 layer clad composition.  The outter layers are 80% Silver and 20% copper while the inner core is 21% silver 79% copper.

On 1/22/2022 at 4:33 PM, Oldhoopster said:

FYI

Just to clarify.  40% silver coins have a 3 layer clad composition.  The outter layers are 80% Silver and 20% copper while the inner core is 21% silver 79% copper.

Good info here Hoopster.  Thank you.  Just to set my thought processes straight here, if these proof coins do not contain any iron, and they only pure silver and copper even in the layer forms as you described, how could rust could happen if there's not any iron in the mix?  Especially if an entire coin has rusted.  To me that means it would have to contain a considerable amount of iron???  Thanks.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:05 PM, GBrad said:

Good info here Hoopster.  Thank you.  Just to set my thought processes straight here, if these proof coins do not contain any iron, and they only pure silver and copper even in the layer forms as you described, how could rust could happen if there's not any iron in the mix?  Especially if an entire coin has rusted.  To me that means it would have to contain a considerable amount of iron???  Thanks.

When you say rush, do you actually mean real rust?   I've never really seen an entire coin rusted.  We've seen a lot of coins here entirely corroded, which "I think" is different from rush.  I could be wrong though.   The only coin I've seen with real rust on it has been a 43 steel cent.

Ive got a counterfeit draped bust dollar that is rusting. lol Sounds like if his half is rusting its a counterfeit. But why would someone want to go through the trouble of counterfeiting a kennedy half dollar? 

On 1/23/2022 at 2:58 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive got a counterfeit draped bust dollar that is rusting. lol Sounds like if his half is rusting its a counterfeit. But why would someone want to go through the trouble of counterfeiting a kennedy half dollar? 

Good point!  I wasn't thinking of counterfeits. 

On 1/23/2022 at 2:58 PM, Hoghead515 said:

But why would someone want to go through the trouble of counterfeiting a kennedy half dollar? 

? Why would someone counterfeit a Nickel . But Henning's did.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:05 PM, GBrad said:

A pic will make all the difference.  Could be toning that's mistaken for rust, or the coin could have been in contact with iron and the rust stained the surface.  Until we can see the coin, everything is just speculation.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:20 PM, tj96 said:

When you say rush, do you actually mean real rust?   I've never really seen an entire coin rusted.  We've seen a lot of coins here entirely corroded, which "I think" is different from rush.  I could be wrong though.   The only coin I've seen with real rust on it has been a 43 steel cent.

Hey tj.  I was referring to another member's coin, @Chris Mikesh coin that he mentioned on this thread several replies earlier.  I was hoping he may respond here but unfortunately he hasn't.  

On 1/23/2022 at 5:57 PM, Oldhoopster said:

A pic will make all the difference.  Could be toning that's mistaken for rust, or the coin could have been in contact with iron and the rust stained the surface.  Until we can see the coin, everything is just speculation.

I couldn't agree more with seeing a picture of the coin as you mentioned.  Your are absolutely correct about speculation.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:06 PM, J P Mashoke said:

? Why would someone counterfeit a Nickel . But Henning's did.

And I am STILL hoping a Henning will happen to show up sooner than later in the wild....... I'm sure there are still many floating around out there.  The Henning Nickel is well known by veteran and enthusiastic collectors but I believe your average new collector probably has no idea what they are.  

On 1/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, GBrad said:

And I am STILL hoping a Henning will happen to show up sooner than later in the wild....... I'm sure there are still many floating around out there.  The Henning Nickel is well known by veteran and enthusiastic collectors but I believe your average new collector probably has no idea what they are.  

I've been in this game for going on 23 years as an adult and I wouldn't know a Henning Nickel if it kicked me in the face aside from the War Nickel one! lol

On 1/23/2022 at 9:58 PM, tj96 said:

Yeah...I guess that's not too hard.  I should keep an eye on nickels of those dates....maybe I can find one for Greg.  :wink:

Thanks for the link, tj.

Edited by Mohawk

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Nothing on the coin is raised except the things that are supposed to be so i guess its pmd. Thank you all very much. Now i am going to check out that nickel.