• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBay score.

11 posts in this topic

That is interesting James. This medal represents a major mine in the Netherlands, which according to the reverse is honoring a lost miner,

A. Paffen only 25 years old.

https://nl-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Domaniale_mijn?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Kerk rade at the bottom translates from Dutch to English as Church Council

definately on the Cool 😎 list.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:32 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Wow. Born WW1 and passed WW2. So young😢

It is possible that he did not die, but that this medal was to commemorate his retirement on September 16, 1943, after 25 years of service. 

Also, Kerkrade was the location of one of the mine shafts. From the linked article:

In1797production stopped on the slopes of the Worm valley, and a new shaft was built on thePlateau of Kerkrade in Holz. (Sic)

That's a very cool medal, James.  I dig it.  And I'm hoping Bob is right that the medal is just to commemorate 25 years of service....someone dying that young is just way too sad.

Maybe A. Paffen simply took a wrong turn leaving the mine and that's how he got lost.

The medal was likely presented for 25 years of service, not death. It can also be understood as part of continuing attempts by people to have normal lives during the Nazi occupation of WW-II.

Edited by RWB

RWB.  I am coming to the same conclusion. It’s amazing but it sure seems like an attempt at normalization. I wonder if they were “encouraged “ by the occupying forces?  43 was a scary time and the world came close to being a very different place.  Most today do not realize just how bad things were. 

On 1/18/2022 at 8:30 AM, James Zyskowski said:

RWB.  I am coming to the same conclusion. It’s amazing but it sure seems like an attempt at normalization. I wonder if they were “encouraged “ by the occupying forces?  43 was a scary time and the world came close to being a very different place.  Most today do not realize just how bad things were. 

Some are being told it never happened. It makes me sad to see history being washed away by people wanting to deny the past. It will be the downfall of Society.