• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polished Morgans
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I was browsing PicClick just now and noticed quite a few raw Morgans, and they all had the same look to them. They appear to be polished and would like to warn all members that they are only worth melt. If I am wrong someone please point this out to me. I took a few pictures but there are more of these than my photos. I forgot to say they are all from the same seller. All photos are the sellers.

100_2715 (2).JPG

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

s-l1600 (12).jpg

s-l1600 (13).jpg

Edited by jimbo27

Anyone in the market for junk silver should keep an eye on these. You may be able to pick up a few for less than melt. Just don't forget to factor in the $4 shipping cost.

Man, those things are polished to death!!! But Bob's right.....there could be a junk silver opportunity there for anyone interested in such things.  

Sad to see the fate these coins have suffered, but unfortunately there are collectors for coins like this so as long as dealers can find willing buyers they will stay around in the marketplace.   Just this week on the forum ats a new member showed off thee Merc dimes that he had found while at work.   All three were cleaned and when the members there informed him that it was not advisable to clean coins his reply was "I like them shinny".

I am not familiar with the website, ClickBait, pardon, PicClick, but there are a few things worth noting.  Firstly, the seller in his listing, uses the term "semi-PL" which can mean whatever he chooses it to mean. To add insult to injury, he dispenses with the Sheldon Scale, probably because he deems it to be too restrictive for advertising purposes, hence the five +++++. Secondly, he starts the bidding at ground level. Spot silver is north of $20 presently, so if he manages to get just four or five more bids at the mandated $3.50 bidding increment (it's oddly at $3.25 now) his once quite lovely coins, pre-cleaning/polishing, will exceed melt.  Thirdly, I do not believe it prudent to post a coin in the questionable condition #3 in the line-up [1898-O] exhibits so prominently.

And, no, let's not talk acetone or vinegar. Or die erosion. Enough damage has been done. [Personally, I fail to see how the PMD[dropping] deposited squarely at what a fellow member may describe as a prime focal point could survive polishing.] These were once beautiful coins.  🐓 

If you look at the current bid of $3.25 the next bid is $3.50, so .25 bid increments IMO. PicClick is just a faster way to search ebay. It has many settings, you can search for random coins or narrow your search to one year and mintmark

Edited by jimbo27

On 1/12/2022 at 8:28 PM, jimbo27 said:

If you look at the current bid of $3.25 the next bid is $3.50, so .25 bid increments IMO....

Correct!  It's been quite a while since I have bid on anything and when I did I didn't find out what an acceptable increment was until my bid was rejected and the pattern set adhered to.  Two bids and no activity.  I'd say the seller's got a long row to hoe.  The coins were just fine the way they were. 

would like to warn all members that they are only worth melt

Or the price should start at a min of melt 

I own a few silver mines I would much rather have these polished 1800s us silver coins roll out in ore cars then raw silver but that's just me 

@B.C

Realistically,  to effect the scam you must set the bidding price low to whet the appetites of those who don't know better, in the hopes of starting a bidding frenzy.  If you set the price at melt, you've shot yourself in the foot. Time will run out on the clock as buyers weigh their options, with some even checking spot silver. That's the last thing a seller of cleaned coins wants. Experienced buyers, of course, will steer clear of problem merchandise. [The entire cyberworld set-up is interesting. When you view unusually low prices accompanied by interest, the assumption is someone knows something you don't. As a buyer, you have to be ever-vigilant and do your due diligence.]

The 1900 dollar has been worked on so much that it looks like a counterfeit. I would rather buy silver rounds, if I wanted to invest in silver, than buy these pieces. 

Thats some black belt ninja selling tips quintus 

Was just my opinion they are worth more then melt to me they look better then silver I sell at melt 

I'm sure the sale price will prove someone right 

I like polished holed bent 4 dollar Stellas also call me crazy but I feel worth more then melt 

I use old polished/cleaned coins to commemorate the birth of relatives that I have pictures and/or funeral cards of. I've put the coins next to their pictures to help give perspective to me and whoever inherits what I've put together. I'm still looking for an inexpensive 1832 coin.. My Great great uncle Joseph born in 1832 and died in 1914 is currently coinless. I have his 'In Loving Memory Of' funeral card and a picture of him in his military Union uniform taken during the Civil War. Just throwing that idea out there that makes buying a polished coin worthwhile at a reasonable price. It at least makes the coins worth more than melt. Just saying........

On 1/14/2022 at 12:54 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Very reasonable prices and we guarantee our work. 🙀

A3ACFAE3-8E9F-48D0-82A5-D3E646D61658.png

He looks like he'd do a great job.....but I don't think I'm going to let him clean my aquarium any time soon lol

On 1/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, B.C said:

I'm sure the sale price will prove someone right 

In my view, regrettably, it will only prove right ol' W.C. Fields' adage that a sucker is born every minute. They absolutely 💯were once beautiful coins.

Must be a lot of misinformed people out there, I just saw the 1898 up to $41, the 1900 $46 and the 1998o $51. Seller is getting way more than melt for these coins, I would have a hard time sleeping doing what this guy is doing.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:32 AM, jimbo27 said:

Must be a lot of misinformed people out there, I just saw the 1898 up to $41, the 1900 $46 and the 1998o $51. Seller is getting way more than melt for these coins, I would have a hard time sleeping doing what this guy is doing.

Yeah hard time sleeping be busy shining your coins it's alot of work 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:52 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Ya it was old PT who uttered the “sucker “ comment 

Heres our boy WC 🙀

8069EBE0-4D18-4F07-98B0-B4C7B002FDFF.png

Oh good old W.C. Fields....you can always count on him for an uplifting, inspiring quote lol