• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 US Quarter Dollar Error coin or heat damage
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I am having trouble figuring out if the 1980 US Quarter dollar I have is an error coin or heat damaged. The center of the coin seems to have been struck again and shows what appears to be a “198” and I am fairly new to the coin collecting. Any help/advice would be amazing! 

7EC7F558-DF39-42F6-B034-BFCEA9013FB1.jpeg

11223C9B-32E3-48B3-8173-36E064619F37.jpeg

On 12/25/2021 at 10:06 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

I think you hit the nail on the head, heat damage. It almost looks like someone soldered the coin or soldered something to it. At any rate it's damaged.

Well thank you very much, it caught my eye with the center showing 198 but my honest guess was something melted right on top. 

On 12/25/2021 at 10:06 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

I think you hit the nail on the head, heat damage. It almost looks like someone soldered the coin or soldered something to it. At any rate it's damaged.

Hey, would you happen to know much about these two coins? My mother passed last December and before she did she gave me a fairly large collection and these two stand out to me. Finally bringing myself to go through the stuff she left. 

B5EFD46D-2AEB-4C1D-B4AD-EB41CDCB41F8.jpeg

248AB76C-A920-45C3-A5A7-4F0F9023A8C4.jpeg

E8947E11-59C6-41EB-AE15-F789EF430A6A.jpeg

ADB8465A-F158-4E81-89DD-4286DB345C18.jpeg

On 12/25/2021 at 9:16 AM, Collin Modlin said:

Hey, would you happen to know much about these two coins? My mother passed last December and before she did she gave me a fairly large collection and these two stand out to me. Finally bringing myself to go through the stuff she left. 

I'm not familiar with these but the 8R looks like a reproduction and the second looks to be a Swiss shooting Thaler. The Thaler looks like it's legit. Others who are more familiar with these will chime in.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
More Info

The first is a copy of a Mexican 8 Reales.  The second is a Swiss Shooting medal.  I can't tell if it's real or a copy.  The link gives weight (25.0 gms) and diameter, so you can check.  It's silver, so there is a good chance an off metal copy will have a wrong weight and/or diemeter.  The link makes note that many replicas exist.

https://en.ucoin.net/coin/switzerland-5-francs-1865/?tid=73557

On 12/25/2021 at 11:33 PM, Oldhoopster said:

The first is a copy of a Mexican 8 Reales.  The second is a Swiss Shooting medal.  I can't tell if it's real or a copy.  The link gives weight (25.0 gms) and diameter, so you can check.  It's silver, so there is a good chance an off metal copy will have a wrong weight and/or diemeter.  The link makes note that many replicas exist.

https://en.ucoin.net/coin/switzerland-5-francs-1865/?tid=73557

Awesome, thank you for the help! Helps to at least get some info on them for sure 

On 12/25/2021 at 5:01 AM, Collin Modlin said:

Hello, I am having trouble figuring out if the 1980 US Quarter dollar I have is an error coin or heat damaged. The center of the coin seems to have been struck again and shows what appears to be a “198” and I am fairly new to the coin collecting. Any help/advice would be amazing! 

7EC7F558-DF39-42F6-B034-BFCEA9013FB1.jpeg

11223C9B-32E3-48B3-8173-36E064619F37.jpeg

Is it just me? I find this damaged quarter attractive in a weird way. I kept coming back to look at it. The design and shape of the damage on the obverse and minimal damage to the reverse is kinda cool.  A hobo quarter.

On 12/26/2021 at 10:59 AM, Modwriter said:

Is it just me? I find this damaged quarter attractive in a weird way. I kept coming back to look at it. The design and shape of the damage on the obverse and minimal damage to the reverse is kinda cool.  A hobo quarter.

That’s honestly what confused me on it being error or damage, dad says he sees a face in right side lump.

On 12/25/2021 at 6:49 PM, Collin Modlin said:

That’s honestly what confused me on it being error or damage, dad says he sees a face in right side lump.

Yes, bizarre. Alien looking.👽 Cue X-Files Materis Primoris theme. Something to think about. Grading coins from another planet.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, Oldhoopster said:

The quarter is definitely damaged.  It looks like solder, but regardless of what caused the damage, it never left the mint in that condition

Lol thank you, I was just joking around with him about getting rechecked being an alien coin. I know it’s damaged after your help bud. 

The quarter has obvious damage. The other two items are imitations - counterfeits made for tourist fodder.

Edited by RWB

Back in my younger days i used to work in a resturant as a cook.  I used to stick these on the grill and let them get really hot then i would toss them out in the alley with the spatula and wait for someone to try and pick them up ........hehehehe .....