• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here
1 1

41 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2021 at 2:50 PM, Wayne26 said:

Hello I found this 1958 d wheat penny today in my coins any advice I should kno I read these coins where rare and they have alot of  doubling 

Without any photos of your coin there is nothing that we can tell you except that you should not attempt to clean or "improve" the coin.   If you want feedback on your specific coin post some photos, as you say your found it in your change the chances are very high that the coin is only worth face value.

Some general info:  The mint coined 800,953,300 1958-D cents, these are not rare unless in exceptional condition (coins found in change are not in exceptional condition) and there are two recognized doubled dies for 1958-D cents.   Here is a link to a site that lists the two recognized doubled dies, and while not likely, you can see if your coin is a match for either.

Variety Vista 1958-D cent

On 12/24/2021 at 4:50 PM, Wayne26 said:

I read these coins where rare and they have alot of  doubling 

Please tell us were you read this part.... None of it is true, and it's helpful to know which websites are spreading lies.

Thanks everyone for positive feedback and rwb u can look up on internet do your homework u claim to know coins but dont know about the 1958 double die penny two where just sold in auction for alot of money so before u come here negative on my post pull up your facts instead criticism about a coin you have no knowledge on 

On 12/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, Woods020 said:

The mouth has just taken a hit. As others have said well circulated, corroded and worth 1 cent. 

I don't know where this notion came from: that a copper cent, is worth one cent.  We all know that is not true!

It's been said the smart man isn't the one who has all the answers.  It is the person who knows where to go to get all the answers.  You don't have to be a librarian; now all you need is internet access.

I checked an ANA article published earlier this year, April. 23, 2021, entitled, "Keep Copper Pennies?" In it they state 10-11 copper cents ("wheaties") equal 1 oz. and are worth 27 cents/oz.  Elsewhere, they refer to a PCGS coinflation app that [then] indicated melt was $0.03. A suggestion was made that like the Kennedy half, the cent will be relegated to mint sets in another five years. Even the faux cents being made today, with copper mascara, cost too much to make.  Either way, I would appreciate it greatly if the distinction between the older and newer cents be maintained, as a matter of principle.   🐓 

On 12/26/2021 at 3:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I don't know where this notion came from: that a copper cent, is worth one cent.  We all know that is not true!

It's been said the smart man isn't the one who has all the answers.  It is the person who knows where to go to get all the answers.  You don't have to be a librarian; now all you need is internet access.

I checked an ANA article published earlier this year, April. 23, 2021, entitled, "Keep Copper Pennies?" In it they state 10-11 copper cents ("wheaties") equal 1 oz. and are worth 27 cents/oz.  Elsewhere, they refer to a PCGS coinflation app that [then] indicated melt was $0.03. A suggestion was made that like the Kennedy half, the cent will be relegated to mint sets in another five years. Even the faux cents being made today, with copper mascara, cost too much to make.  Either way, I would appreciate it greatly if the distinction between the older and newer cents be maintained, as a matter of principle.   🐓 

The same smart man may want to use his internet access to learn that it is illegal to melt these coins for the copper content. Hence while it may be true the copper content is worth more than one cent, the coin is worth face value given that’s all it can be used for. 

31 CFR § 82.1 Prohibitions:
Except as specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury (or designee) or as otherwise provided in this part, no person shall export, melt, or treat:
(a) Any 5-cent coin of the United States; or
(b) Any one-cent coin of the United States.

On 12/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, Wayne26 said:

Thanks everyone for positive feedback and rwb u can look up on internet do your homework u claim to know coins but dont know about the 1958 double die penny two where just sold in auction for alot of money so before u come here negative on my post pull up your facts instead criticism about a coin you have no knowledge on 

You still haven’t provided evidence of where you read these are rare and valuable. It’s a very fair question because there is clearly more to the story. 

There may have been some doubled die coins in good condition that sold for a decent premium. Nothing like the infamous 1955 doubled die cents which you may be confusing. With that said yours exhibits nothing out of the ordinary other than the terrible condition it is in. Just because a couple of the hundreds of millions of these coins minted sold for a premium due to a unique and desirable attribute in no way makes all of the others worth anything other than face value. I fail to see your logic for your response so if I am missing something by all means call me out. 

If u know about the 1955 double die then you should know about the 1958 double die do your homework dont ask me to provide a link that you clearly have no knowledge about internet here for a reason all you have to do is type in 1958 double die wheat penny and information will pop up based on information you lookin for and let's get this straight I asked a question I never said my penny was rare I said it's rare 1958 double die and one was just sold at heritage auction so before you try to insult me do your research I'm new coin collecting but not new to research and this comment is for woods 020 

Yes hodhedge I wasn't sayin he wasn't correct but dont say I'm lyin about a coin that do exist I might dont have the coin but one was posted so for people who say they been collecting for years should know these things dont come for me cause ik new I didn't say my coin was rare I said it was rare ones out here that's all I'm sayin 

A 1958 (P), no mint mark, DDO is a high value coin. HH kindly posted a pick of one. A 1955-D, has a couple of known DDO's but not nearly as impressive as the 1955 (P). A 1955-D DDO is not on the same level as THE 1955 (P) DDO. A 1955-D cent is not going to have much value, even if it was one of the known DDO's, unless it's in amazing condition. Like, really amazing. Still a cool find in circulation though.

@Woods020

(I think I should make clear I find the term "melt value," as a coin collector, personally offensive.)

FWIW, subject-related questions accompanied the above-mentioned article, one of which was:  Is it illegal to melt pennies?  "It is not illegal to melt, destroy or modify any U.S. coins in the United States." (Emphasis theirs.)  The reference given was: atlantagoldandcoin.com. Sept. 23, 2000.

In all fairness, the proper procedure, stated elsewhere, is to wait until the cent is discontinued -- the year 2026 is indicated -- at which point your accumulation can be "sold" to a party who will then forward it to the government for a decent cremation.   😉 

On 12/26/2021 at 4:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Woods020

(I think I should make clear I find the term "melt value," as a coin collector, personally offensive.)

FWIW, subject-related questions accompanied the above-mentioned article, one of which was:  Is it illegal to melt pennies?  "It is not illegal to melt, destroy or modify any U.S. coins in the United States." (Emphasis theirs.)  The reference given was: atlantagoldandcoin.com. Sept. 23, 2000.

In all fairness, the proper procedure, stated elsewhere, is to wait until the cent is discontinued -- the year 2026 is indicated -- at which point your accumulation can be "sold" to a party who will then forward it to the government for a decent cremation.   😉 

Agreed. If your assertion is the future value could be 3 cents then I won’t argue that. But as of right now it is worth 1 cent as stated. 

Edited by Woods020

Thanks woods and I much appreciated it I was just lookin for more advice on it I'm waiting on my new microscope I know everything I come past not goin be a rare or good find but certain finds we never really see never hurt to ask well atleast this my first 1958 so I wanted to know more but I definitely appreciate the good feedback