• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christmas present
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2021 at 9:20 AM, bsshog40 said:

Nice looking Washie! My birth year! My birth year set has a PF67 Cam * in it. Lol I went with proofs on it. 

You are around the same age as my mom and dad. My mom was born in 58 and my dad 60. I thought about getting my mom some kind of birthset. She dosent collect but she would love something like that. 

On 12/12/2021 at 9:35 AM, bsshog40 said:

My mom doesn't collect either but I made her a set of what I could afford of decent circulated coins and framed them with a recent picture and her baby picture for Christmas one year. Hers was 1943. 

Thats a great idea. I would like to do something like that for her. 

That's a very nice 1959, my friend.  Your wife has a good eye and good taste.  I think if she were to get into the hobby, she would do very well at it.  Congrats on your new addition!

On 12/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, R__Rash said:

Nice GW, what is this goal and how long have you been working on it?

I been working on it for close to a year now. Ive roughly have half around half of them now but I dont have any of the key dates. Those are gonna slow me down quite a bit. Ive got a few to replace later on. Got in to big of a hurry and bought a few that im not pleased with. Now ive slowed down and have been waiting on more appealing coins. Im also trying to get them all in MS but im going to have to settle for a couple AUs when i get to the big boys. 

On 12/12/2021 at 1:06 PM, Mohawk said:

That's a very nice 1959, my friend.  Your wife has a good eye and good taste.  I think if she were to get into the hobby, she would do very well at it.  Congrats on your new addition!

She would be better at it than me. She has way more patience than I do. If I get the money for a coin it worries me to death. I have to find one right then. She will hold off on something for months until everything works in her favor or she finds the right one. She almost didnt get the coin above because of the spot on GWs head and the other shiny spots on places on the eagle. I sweet talked her into it like a kid begging for candy at the store. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:01 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Hopefully she will get into the hobby with me. Ive been trying to get her to.

Don't know if you've followed / seen my recent journals but I've been having luck recently with buying lots of raw coins and asking my wife to look at them with me and discuss which ones we think are best to submit and build out a set that's going to be almost 100% self-submitted coins and I'm starting to do some of this with coins and countries that have significance to her and it seems to have worked. We've had a lot of fun with it the last month or two.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, Revenant said:

Don't know if you've followed / seen my recent journals but I've been having luck recently with buying lots of raw coins and asking my wife to look at them with me and discuss which ones we think are best to submit and build out a set that's going to be almost 100% self-submitted coins and I'm starting to do some of this with coins and countries that have significance to her and it seems to have worked. We've had a lot of fun with it the last month or two.

That is great. Makes it alot more fun to have someone to collect with. Im really hoping to get my wife into it. She actually started liking it trying to find one we could afford yet would be nice for the set. Good luck to you and yours on your set. That would be a pretty good challenge and alot of fun to complete. Im hoping to show my wife some various types of coins and hoping something will catch her eye. May even talk her into putting together a short set of something. She may come around. This is the closest Ive got her so far. The only way was to get her shopping for my present. She seemed to start liking it. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That is great. Makes it alot more fun to have someone to collect with. Im really hoping to get my wife into it. She actually started liking it trying to find one we could afford yet would be nice for the set. Good luck to you and yours on your set. That would be a pretty good challenge and alot of fun to complete. Im hoping to show my wife some various types of coins and hoping something will catch her eye. May even talk her into putting together a short set of something. She may come around. This is the closest Ive got her so far. The only way was to get her shopping for my present. She seemed to start liking it. 

You might try seeing if there are coins related to something important to her - like my wife and Italy - and seeing if you can get interest and buy-in that way, by getting into that with her. Use that as a gateway into building more interest in collecting in general.

I know with Shandy and Zimbabwe I've had fun talking to her about the historical context of the hyperinflation series and the things / symbolism on them and sharing my research and set building with them - like the change in the name of the capital from Salisbury to Harare, which triggered the change in the type 1a and type 1b notes.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, RWB said:

Nice Washington! Someone should make very light slab holders so these could also be put n the tree....and maybe some very tiny lights?

That be a good idea. Can make some Christmas ornaments out some of them. The old lady would definately get into that. Shes all the time making Christmas projects. 

On 12/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

It does make it fun.  My fiancée is a big Morgan and Peace Dollar fan.  We've had a ton of fun collecting together over the years.  We're pretty different in our collecting styles....she's much better at staying focused on one thing than I am.  I'm just an abject, freaking mess where that's concerned.....I'm all over the damned place.  I don't know, maybe I'll settle down permanently someday, but probably not.  Candice (my fiancée) says I'm like a Tiger Shark....I have to just swim around and check out everything I see at least once.  Which probably isn't a bad thing....Tiger Sharks are cool.  Very curious and inquisitive animals.  But it does make it kind of tough to set and achieve goals with collecting like most collectors appear to enjoy doing.  I don't know....I'm weird, I guess.  But to both you and William....I hope the collecting bug does take with your wives.  Having a collecting partner is one of the most wonderful things a collector could ask for.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, Mohawk said:

It does make it fun.  My fiancée is a big Morgan and Peace Dollar fan.  We've had a ton of fun collecting together over the years.  We're pretty different in our collecting styles....she's much better at staying focused on one thing than I am.  I'm just an abject, freaking mess where that's concerned.....I'm all over the damned place.  I don't know, maybe I'll settle down permanently someday, but probably not.  Candice (my fiancée) says I'm like a Tiger Shark....I have to just swim around and check out everything I see at least once.  Which probably isn't a bad thing....Tiger Sharks are cool.  Very curious and inquisitive animals.  But it does make it kind of tough to set and achieve goals with collecting like most collectors appear to enjoy doing.  I don't know....I'm weird, I guess.  But to both you and William....I hope the collecting bug does take with your wives.  Having a collecting partner is one of the most wonderful things a collector could ask for.

Thats not a bit wierd. I dont think theres very many wrong ways to collect. Im bad about straying away from my goal on the GWs. Ive been looking at numerous world coins. Ended up getting a stray here and there. Theres just so many very lovely coins out there I would love to have. 

On 12/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Very cool. I love it. Be a neat decoration. Or a wreath with quarters, nickles, and dimes, or something of the sort. 

Yeh, I would arrange a little differently but did not want to break the vacuum seal on this set.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, Dave1384 said:

Very nice one. Only thing is tho is that one is a proof and im only working on a set of business strikes. If I were putting together a proof set I would consider looking at that one more. Thanks for sharing. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, Woods020 said:

@Hoghead515 That’s a nice Washington. Your wife must like you a little for some reason?? 😂

By the way did you fair the weather ok? We were slated to get bad weather here yesterday but I saw it went north and hit Kentucky. How was it in your area?

That was sure bad down there where they got hit. We supposed to have some more work down in there but dont know if we will get to do it or not for a while.