• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Silver Eagles Price

62 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, Alex in PA. said:

$33.62 today at Pinehurst.  Did you hear about the Gator they trapped in the Lehigh River at Palmerton?  Got the little fella (4 feet) out before he froze to death

Got to big and someone turned him loose

On 12/8/2021 at 3:17 PM, Alex in PA. said:

$33.62 today at Pinehurst.  Did you hear about the Gator they trapped in the Lehigh River at Palmerton?  Got the little fella (4 feet) out before he froze to death

It’s good they got him out of the River before he tore a (Mauch) chunk out of somebody.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Got to big and someone turned him loose

No doubt  Once a pet it became a pain so just dump it in the river.  That area actually has a Animal Rescue for reptiles.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling (as usual)

On 12/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, Alex in PA. said:

That area actually has a Animal Rescue for reptiles.

I'm very happy to hear that......poor gator, I feel bad for him.  Some animals are not meant to be pets and alligators are definitely on that list.  It makes me so mad when people do things like this to animals.  I've never abandoned an animal and it makes me sad when it happens.  I hope that the gator can be returned to his native environment or at least can have a happy home at an animal sanctuary or a good, reputable zoo.

Edited by Mohawk

I was just thinking.....this exact kind of thing is why piranhas are illegal to keep in my state now.  Despite their fearsome reputations, most species of piranhas are responsible choices for experienced fish keepers with the space for a large tropical tank.  They don't get too large (6 to 8 inches.  They're big, but not massive.  A 200 gallon tank could house a school of about 5 adults happily and comfortably) and they're actually mostly scavengers, so they don't actually strip a living cow to a skeleton in a matter of seconds.  Piranhas are actually pretty docile fish.....they require a lot of hiding places because they're very timid.  The biggest challenge with piranhas is actually water quality.  They're messy eaters, but frequent water changes, heavy filtration and a good aquarium vac fix that problem right up.

So, the problem isn't piranhas, it's pacu.  Pacu are close relatives of piranhas and they look virtually identical to them when they are juveniles.  However, size quickly becomes an issue as an adult pacu isn't 8 inches long.  It is this size:

Black Pacu – "OCEAN TREASURES" Memorial Library

You can see how an unscrupulous seller offering a pacu as a piranha can become a massive ecological problem.  People did dump pacus in the water here, and while they didn't survive the winter, they caused some real problems while they did live.  I feel bad for the pacu.....they didn't have a chance in this climate, so the people who dumped them doomed them.  That sucks.  Once again, some animals shouldn't be pets.  Pacu certainly fit that bill and now I cannot live one of my dreams of one day having a piranha tank.  I have a lot of fish keeping dreams....piranhas, horn sharks....the list could go on.  If I had a huge house, it would probably look like a public aquarium with birds and a 46 year old box turtle.  

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/8/2021 at 4:11 PM, VKurtB said:

REALLY? That does NOT square with what I see at coin shows. $32 - $35. Chattanooga. A few weeks ago. Some at $30.

With all due respect there's no coin shops near me (the closet is roughly a 3 - 4 hour round trip drive) and it wouldn't make any sense to travel across the country just to attend coin shows given the current price of gas per gallon. Which I have to use various online sources to purchase coins.

Edited by Tony Follis

On 12/8/2021 at 5:10 AM, Tony Follis said:

Always remember that professional money managers who control hundreds of billions of dollars are going to buy bars of gold and silver for their clients in uncertain times, when the stock markets looses hundreds of points in a trading session or in ultra high inflation times to protect their client's wealth and not coins made from those medals.

No they are NOT.  Precious metals pay no dividends and they are considered an alternate asset class, an insurance policy, and only for a very small % of one's assets.  The 2 private banks I worked at only about 5% of clients had PM exposure and for < 5% of their assets with us.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:10 AM, Tony Follis said:

The cheapest way the average person can have access to gold and silver is either by buying gold and silver coins or by investing in the GLD or SLV. The GLD is exchange traded fund that tracks the everyday movement of the price of gold per troy ounce and is backed by physical gold but you have to pay a certain percentage. The SLV is the same as the GLD but it tracks the everyday movement of the price of silver again per troy ounce.Anyway I hope this helps everybody understand my previous statement regarding the subject.

Spot on here.  (thumbsu

Overall, I found your post very informative and good information except for the professional money manager part. 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, Tony Follis said:

Bottom line: Every money manger who knows what they're doing will tell you that you have to have a minimum of 25% of your total portfolio value in bars of gold and silver to preserve your wealth.

No they are NOT saying that.  If they did, they'd probably be fired from their job and/or in violatio of their professional and/or fiduciary duty.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Jim Cramer says 10% max.  Link  Forbes says 5%-15% max. Link Provident says as much as 20%.  And they sell precious metals! Link The Street says 5%-10% max. Link Marketwatch.com says 4%. Link 

So you go ahead and do 25% minimum.   

For most money managers, it is UNDER 5% and for most of those, probably closer to 0% weight in precious metals.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:25 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

No they are NOT saying that.  If they did, they'd probably be fired from their job and/or in violatio of their professional and/or fiduciary duty.

All money managers must disclose where their client's money is being put to work in monthly financial statements to their clients. It is the SEC's (security and exchange commission) responsibility to regulate all financial transactions that professional money managers make to ensure that all transactions are legitimate and not  fraud or unethical. It's really no different than if you were investing in a distressed real estate company that promises to fix up the real estate and sells it for a profit but you want proof that the money you gave that company is going towards fixing the up property instead of the head of the distressed real estate company just pocketing your cash.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:24 PM, Tony Follis said:

With all due respect there's no coin shops near me (the closet is roughly a 3 - 4 hour round trip drive) and it wouldn't make any sense to travel across the country just to attend coin shows given the current price of gas per gallon. Which I have to use various online sources to purchase coins.

Oak Hill, OH is NOT that far into the "boonies".

On 12/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, VKurtB said:

Oak Hill, OH is NOT that far into the "boonies".

LMAO VKurtB. To answer your question Oak Hill, Ohio is roughly 15 miles SE of Jackson, OH. In fact Oak Hill, OH is a very small village and not a city. We do have a KFC, MCD, Subway, Piggley Wiggley, CVS, Family Dollar, Dollar General, family owned pizza places and four gas stations. Oak Hill is dry so you can't buy adult drinks.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:29 PM, Tony Follis said:

LMAO VKurtB. To answer your question Oak Hill, Ohio is roughly 15 miles SE of Jackson, OH. In fact Oak Hill, OH is a very small village and not a city. We do have a KFC, MCD, Subway, Piggley Wiggley, CVS, Family Dollar, Dollar General, family owned pizza places and four gas stations. Oak Hill is dry so you can't buy adult drinks.

You have more options than my town has. The beer and wine aisle at WalMart on a Sunday morning proves we are not dry here. That aisle often is, but we aren’t. But 2021 Type 2 ASE’s are available RIGHT NOW (just checked) for $32.54 at the first website I checked. Quantity ONE!!!! Look around. $100. Sheesh!

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/9/2021 at 4:57 PM, VKurtB said:

You have more options than my town has. The beer and wine aisle at WalMart on a Sunday morning proves we are not dry here. That aisle often is, but we aren’t. But 2021 Type 2 ASE’s are available RIGHT NOW (just checked) for $32.54 at the first website I checked. Quantity ONE!!!! Look around. $100. Sheesh!

Maybe for ungraded 2021 Type 2 ASE's will be $32.54 but if you add the grading fee it's closer to $100.00. 

On 12/9/2021 at 7:33 PM, Tony Follis said:

Maybe for ungraded 2021 Type 2 ASE's will be $32.54 but if you add the grading fee it's closer to $100.00. 

Why are you continually using graded eagles as your basis for comparison?  You are the only one in this thread who has mentioned graded eagles.  If you want to use graded eagles for your comparison, then I offer this 10 ounce bar that recently sold for $1275 on ebay.  Where's the value now?

Engelhard Bar

On 12/10/2021 at 4:42 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Why are you continually using graded eagles as your basis for comparison?  You are the only one in this thread who has mentioned graded eagles.  If you want to use graded eagles for your comparison, then I offer this 10 ounce bar that recently sold for $1275 on ebay.  Where's the value now?

Engelhard Bar

I'm sure you and everybody else here has bought raw coins. VKurtB said that a 2021 Type 2 ASE is selling for $32.54 on several websites. Then I said in ungraded condition maybe but if we were to add the grading fees it's closer to $100.00.  Isn't it possible that the person who sold the bar that you've mentioned bought it when the price of silver was $10.00 per troy ounce then just now decided to sell it for more than double their money? Did you even consider that possibility or were you with the seller when they first purchased the bar in question?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I bought a Silvertowne 10 troy ounce bar of silver back in 2008 when the price of silver was $8.00 per troy ounce or $80.00 and I can sell it today for around $230.00+ based on the current price of spot silver which is almost triple my money.

Edited by Tony Follis

I still don't see what the difference in price would be between a 1oz rectangular silver bar or a 1oz silver round ?  And a Silver Eagle is a 1oz round that has a chance to command a higher price because it is legal tender. There is a date on that silver round coin and depending on the year it makes it more collectable or valuable than a plain silver round. Does that sound logical to everyone ? or am I missing something hm

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 12/10/2021 at 4:52 AM, Tony Follis said:

I'm sure you and everybody else here has bought raw coins. VKurtB said that a 2021 Type 2 ASE is selling for $32.54 on several websites. Then I said in ungraded condition maybe but if we were to add the grading fees it's closer to $100.00.  Isn't it possible that the person who sold the bar that you've mentioned bought it when the price of silver was $10.00 per troy ounce then just now decided to sell it for more than double their money? Did you even consider that possibility or were you with the seller when they first purchased the bar in question?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I bought a Silvertowne 10 troy ounce bar of silver back in 2008 when the price of silver was $8.00 per troy ounce or $80.00 and I can sell it today for around $230.00+ based on the current price of spot silver which is almost triple my money.

You're completely missing the point.  Your tying the value of your Silvertowne bar to spot.  That is what caused the rise in price.  Nothing else.  How much was a silver eagle when spot was $8 an ounce? 

I'm done.  I just hope that anybody who reads your opinions (I can't bring myself to call it advice) does so with great caution.  

Edited by Morpheus1967

On 12/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

You're completely missing the point.  Your tying the value of your Silvertowne bar to spot.  That is what caused the rise in price.  Nothing else.  How much was a silver eagle when spot was $8 an ounce? 

I'm done.  I just hope that anybody who reads your opinions (I can't bring myself to call it advice) does so with great caution.  

Going back 20 years according to the Red Book a uncirculated ASE 2002 W was valued at $9.00 and  proof was around $35

On 12/9/2021 at 2:25 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Indeed they are not.  If I were to go to a money manager who told me to put 25% or more of my money into bullion, I would run right out of there as fast as I could because such a person is either incompetent or insane.  Maybe both.  Either way, not someone you want handling your money.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, Tony Follis said:

Sent in by itself, it MIGHT approach $100 total, but that is something I’ve never done. Two things actually. I’ve never sent one coin in, always at least several. Oh, and I’ve never had an ASE graded, …EVER. It’s a waste of resources to me. Actually, I’ve ALMOST never sent coins in at all. I usually drop them off in person at major shows where NGC has a table. I’m going to be there anyway.

My last two submissions were summer F.U.N. and ANA Rosemont. My next will be January F.U.N.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/12/2021 at 12:16 PM, James Zyskowski said:

So Mr. Mohawk.

My owner is napping,as usual, and I see you have fish tanks. I would like to offer my services for a very reasonable price.  I will scrub your tank and ah, let me put this the correct way, appropriately level out the overcrowding conditions.   Oops, got to go,grandpa is stirring 🙀. Get in touch!

4D04B18B-F203-43F0-B484-262B465B4B29.png

If I ever end up with a Pacu problem, I'll certainly be in touch, my friend!!! However, I don't think I can trust you with my Plakat Betta friend lol