• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V75
2 2

77 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 7:43 PM, Mohawk said:

Aquila chrysaetos

Yes, the Golden Eagle and I have seen the pictures you have posted of this majestic creature.  It belongs to the family of Accipitridae and predominately habitats within the Northern Hemisphere.  Nice!

On 1/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Found another 1974 D that may be a spitting eagle. It sure looks like it under a loupe. Looks indented but in a slightly different spot. I may try to use something with a little more powerful magnification in a few days and see for sure. I dont feel as certain with this one as the other. Also the line goes up on the wing a tiny bit. 20220120_195228.thumb.jpg.12becd69fa57026f8ed8dae64d16eaca.jpg

The first one you found and posted is for sure the spitter.  This one does not have the same characteristics and the placement of the "spit" is not in the correct location.  Hard to tell what's up from down and vice versa from pics sometimes but it looks like an incuse area from the Eagle's neck to the noticeable 'spit line'.  The 'line' on this one is also further right and starts under the beak whereas the real thing (the spit) begins slightly left of the beak.  Just my humble observation here.  I'm thinking this one was struck from a heavily abraided/over polished die.  You can also see the reduction in the relief of the Eagles right (the Eagle's left) wing details.  

On 1/20/2022 at 9:32 PM, GBrad said:

Yes, the Golden Eagle and I have seen the pictures you have posted of this majestic creature.  It belongs to the family of Accipitridae and predominately habitats within the Northern Hemisphere.  Nice!

Right on again, Greg!! They are extremely majestic creatures and they are my area's local apex predator.  Absolutely beautiful......and they are also absolutely huge!!! 

On 1/20/2022 at 9:44 PM, GBrad said:

The first one you found and posted is for sure the spitter.  This one does not have the same characteristics and the placement of the "spit" is not in the correct location.  Hard to tell what's up from down and vice versa from pics sometimes but it looks like an incuse area from the Eagle's neck to the noticeable 'spit line'.  The 'line' on this one is also further right and starts under the beak whereas the real thing (the spit) begins slightly left of the beak.  Just my humble observation here.  I'm thinking this one was struck from a heavily abraided/over polished die.  You can also see the reduction in the relief of the Eagles right (the Eagle's left) wing details.  

Thats what was throwing me off. I figured the only way it could be is if the die was turned a little bit or something. But Im thinking it may be something else. Been nice to find two in one day. Espically the same date and mintmark. But if the die was turned it would still be out at the end of the beak prob. Just run at a slightly different angle. Im not really sure but im thinking it to good to be true. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/20/2022 at 10:31 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats what was throwing me off. I figured the only way it could be is if the die was turned a little bit or something. But Im thinking it may be something else. Been nice to find two in one day. Espically the same date and mintmark. But if the die was turned it would still be out at the end of the beak prob. Just run at a slightly different angle. Im not really sure but im thinking it to good to be true. 

I think finding one in a day is a great accomplishment my friend.  I have yet to find one.  The other noticeable thing about the second one, which is an identifier, is the lack of curvature that creates the spitting image that was obviously initially created by the die clash.  No worries, you still had a great day regardless!(thumbsu

On 1/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Found another 1974 D that may be a spitting eagle. It sure looks like it under a loupe. Looks indented but in a slightly different spot. I may try to use something with a little more powerful magnification in a few days and see for sure. I dont feel as certain with this one as the other. Also the line goes up on the wing a tiny bit. 20220120_195228.thumb.jpg.12becd69fa57026f8ed8dae64d16eaca.jpg

I totally Love your coin!!!...I commented before that I had found one EF scratched and had bought one really nice AU 58 or shot 60 so, after seeing your posts I have been searching for this quarter through so much and finally found it with my Planchet errors and clashed dies...

Crazy thing, in Texarkana, spelling? Texas I met a dealer who bought a few from a friend who first showed me, I at a later date bought his collection and added to the spitting Eagles I have found over the years. 

So not to start the argument...this started as a cool cheap thing and to each his own. I own many in various grades and conditions. This is one of AU ones. I like yours also. I'll attempt a better close up pic.

Thank you for the Trip I took on this it brings back memories of great times, coins like these to go next to the Gold and Silver ones, I put them together like in their own groups and things,  I Love them All!! .......Peace 

IMAG5673.jpg

IMAG5674.jpg

On 1/20/2022 at 10:55 PM, GBrad said:

I think finding one in a day is a great accomplishment my friend.  I have yet to find one.  The other noticeable thing about the second one, which is an identifier, is the lack of curvature that creates the spitting image that was obviously initially created by the die clash.  No worries, you still had a great day regardless!(thumbsu

Yeap. Thats why I had my doubts the whole time. The curve is off. Probably just an old scratch or something.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:09 AM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I totally Love your coin!!!...I commented before that I had found one EF scratched and had bought one really nice AU 58 or shot 60 so, after seeing your posts I have been searching for this quarter through so much and finally found it with my Planchet errors and clashed dies...

Crazy thing, in Texarkana, spelling? Texas I met a dealer who bought a few from a friend who first showed me, I at a later date bought his collection and added to the spitting Eagles I have found over the years. 

So not to start the argument...this started as a cool cheap thing and to each his own. I own many in various grades and conditions. This is one of AU ones. I like yours also. I'll attempt a better close up pic.

Thank you for the Trip I took on this it brings back memories of great times, coins like these to go next to the Gold and Silver ones, I put them together like in their own groups and things,  I Love them All!! .......Peace 

IMAG5673.jpg

IMAG5674.jpg

That is a very nice one. The one I found is no where near as nice as that one. Its still in nice shape but that one is super nicer. I found another while back. It was worn really bad but you can see other parts of the clash. 

On 1/21/2022 at 6:54 AM, Hoghead515 said:

That is a very nice one. The one I found is no where near as nice as that one. Its still in nice shape but that one is super nicer. I found another while back. It was worn really bad but you can see other parts of the clash. 

Thank you...the clash on yours where Washington neck line would hit is way more defined than that AU or EF45 of mine, so where it is somewhat nice, it lacks the aggressiveness of yours, like yours is more strong of a clash, I've seen that on a couple other ones...

I'm gonna get some planchet clips together too but now I'm searching for other die clashes to share....saw that pic with them quarters everywhere, I enjoy searching for stuff like you but a guy at the bank got upset when I passed through Missouri last week, said many more people are looking through coins now...I thought, well, economy and tougher times might have a little do with it. It's not all about the 40% silver cuz you don't find much anymore, it's the missing "FG" and stuff like this I gravitate too!!......Peace 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:35 PM, Lem E said:

I basically just watched during that competition. I didn’t find jack.

Where is this, so called, "thread"? I've searched and searched. I'd like entry into said "competition". Enough quote marks for "everyone"? Good. 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:47 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

Where is this, so called, "thread"? I've searched and searched. I'd like entry into said "competition". Enough quote marks for "everyone"? Good. 

I found it in the water cooler section. You are a little late to that party. 

On 1/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, J P Mashoke said:

This one is my favorite. a nice brass looking rivet ring. It was in a roll of 49 cents. A nice spacer.

S20210310_0003.jpg

I find washers in quarter rolls quite often around here. Or they will sneak a nickel or something in the middle of the roll. 

On 1/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I forgot that was there. Well didnt really forget. Just wasnt thinking when I snapped that photo. NOBODY gonna get MY quarters. Lol

They will get your quarters from you when they pry them from your cold dead hands ... lol