• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V75
2 2

77 posts in this topic

I've got eight Folgers coffee containers full of pocket change quarters that I've never inspected. If I can get some ambition, I'll go through them and see if I can help fill gaps for anyone. I was going to cash them in, but I'll keep them and go through them, sooner or later..  Edit: Just found out when I went to my closet to get them that for some reason the cannisters weigh 3 times what they did last year. I guess I need to pump some weights.  LOL  

Edited by ronnie stein
clarify

On 1/19/2022 at 10:06 PM, tj96 said:

You still looking for this one?

Hello tj.  You asked if J P was still looking for the v75 Billings.....  I'm in the same boat looking for the 5th one but I'm lacking the Samoa Privy..... I'm like J P, it'll show up some day, and most likely when you are least expecting it.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:40 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I been searching all week. Been trading in rolls for more rolls. No luck this week so far. Did fill a few spots in my Whitmans. Rough trying to do it in a truck. lol20220120_133705.thumb.jpg.fadf309d9d3738c295747fe44a814332.jpg

I'M LOVING IT!!!!!!!! Especially what's tucked under the seat.......(thumbsu

@Hoghead515 your truck looks just about like mine! I have done the exact same thing on many occasions my friend.  Especially on a long road trip in the wife's car when I have the whole backseat to myself.  I just "go into my own little world" and the next thing I know..... we are at our destination.  

On 1/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, GBrad said:

I'M LOVING IT!!!!!!!! Especially what's tucked under the seat.......(thumbsu

I forgot that was there. Well didnt really forget. Just wasnt thinking when I snapped that photo. NOBODY gonna get MY quarters. Lol

On 1/20/2022 at 1:44 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Not a W quarter but did find one kinda neat. A tiny bit off center. Used it to fill a slot in the ole Whitman. 20220119_224905.thumb.jpg.dff1e25fe20de2c6bf06a1e63745dd2f.jpgPolish_20220120_134343799.thumb.jpg.622fcc69df91e8a6e44f09b69c75918f.jpg

What does the obverse look like? If it has the same look then it would be termed an off center strike.  If it only affects one side of the coin then it is considered a MAD.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, GBrad said:

@Hoghead515 your truck looks just about like mine! I have done the exact same thing on many occasions my friend.  Especially on a long road trip in the wife's car when I have the whole backseat to myself.  I just "go into my own little world" and the next thing I know..... we are at our destination.  

I been snowed out of work. Old ladys rig wont pull out of the driveway. It solid ice. I been having to take her to work and sit out in the parking lot all day till she gets off. To much gas to make 2 trips a day. So gives me something to do. 

Also @Hoghead515, I can't recollect the last time I saw a misaligned die on the reverse.  A MAD usually, from my coin searches, affects the obverse caused by the hammer die.  However.... with that being said, I am not sure how Quarters are struck these days and if they have "reversed" the orientation in which Quarters are struck at the mint.  I have read somewhere that the hammer die has always historically been used for the obverse but it seems that I also remember the mint reversed this process at some point and the hammer die was used to strike the reverse.... hopefully this all made sense.

It didnt affect it any. Youll never believe this. Found one a little better shape and traded it out by mistake. Wasnt even thinking. Forgot about it being that one. Just took it to the bank to. Lol. I must be losing my mind. Cant believe I done that. 

On 1/20/2022 at 1:53 PM, Hoghead515 said:

It didnt affect it any. Youll never believe this. Found one a little better shape and traded it out by mistake. Wasnt even thinking. Forgot about it being that one. Just took it to the bank to. Lol. I must be losing my mind. Cant believe I done that. 

Well that bites....... if you hurry up and go back to the bank maybe they'll let you search through millions of coins and find it...... :nyah:.  About your coin, it would then be considered a slight MAD if the opposite side was not affected. I know you probably already know all of this but in case a newcomer here to the forum were to read this thread at least I've tried to explain the differences. Still very neat.(thumbsu 

On 1/20/2022 at 1:58 PM, GBrad said:

Well that bites....... if you hurry up and go back to the bank maybe they'll let you search through millions of coins and find it...... :nyah:.  About your coin, it would then be considered a slight MAD if the opposite side was not affected. I know you probably already know all of this but in case a newcomer here to the forum were to read this thread at least I've tried to explain the differences. Still very neat.(thumbsu 

Yeap. I should go back but I may just let it go. Teach me to pay better attention. Was in heavy thoughts. Sometimes when Im doing something and thinking hard about something else I lose focus. I let it stay out in the wild and maybe someone else will find it. Im practicing catch and realese coin hunting this week. 

On 1/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, GBrad said:

Hello tj.  You asked if J P was still looking for the v75 Billings.....  I'm in the same boat looking for the 5th one but I'm lacking the Samoa Privy..... I'm like J P, it'll show up some day, and most likely when you are least expecting it.

I'll PM you.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:06 PM, GBrad said:

:roflmao:That's a good one J P!! Pretty witty I have to say.  Speaking of "spacers", I can't believe how many perfectly Cent sized flat galvanized washers I continually find in bank wrapped rolls.  I'm not talking about the brown bag Walmart sleeves.  I'm talking about the tightly wrapped (no re-wraps involved here) Loomis rolled Lincolns.  Very odd these things wind up in a roll.  I told one of my bank teller about this and she said that it was not possible.  Well....... she's wrong.

Loomis or String and Sons. In both AL and PA, all I ever see is String rolls. The only place I see Loomis is on roadtrips.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I just found one those spittin eagles. Cant get a real good photo but you can see it plain as day. 1974D20220120_142036.thumb.jpg.3e723156fd7b36bdf2217b09872f75dc.jpg

Grizzly longcut Wintergreen! Actually..... in '74... that would probably have been Levi Garret or Beechnut.  

On 1/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Loomis or String and Sons. In both AL and PA, all I ever see is String rolls. The only place I see Loomis is on roadtrips.

Loomis is all you will get here in North Georgia.  I've never seen anything else up here.  

On 1/20/2022 at 6:28 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Not gonna turn that 74 D loose @GBrad Brought him home and mounted him in a 2×2 flip. Made sure he dont make it back in a roll. Sorry to hijack your JP. 

Its all good. It was actually a old thread that was brought back up. and it is about Quarters so you in the right spot ;) 

Found another 1974 D that may be a spitting eagle. It sure looks like it under a loupe. Looks indented but in a slightly different spot. I may try to use something with a little more powerful magnification in a few days and see for sure. I dont feel as certain with this one as the other. Also the line goes up on the wing a tiny bit. 20220120_195228.thumb.jpg.12becd69fa57026f8ed8dae64d16eaca.jpg

Well.....I know next to nothing about spitting eagles, Hog, but it does look like something is going on there.  I'll wait and see what the others think.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Found another 1974 D that may be a spitting eagle. It sure looks like it under a loupe. Looks indented but in a slightly different spot. I may try to use something with a little more powerful magnification in a few days and see for sure. I dont feel as certain with this one as the other. Also the line goes up on the wing a tiny bit. 20220120_195228.thumb.jpg.12becd69fa57026f8ed8dae64d16eaca.jpg

Lots of road time on that Piece but it may be, is that a clash mark under the wing on that side also