• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Conservation Service

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried the Coin Conservation Service on any past submissions?  Or bought a graded coins that had it?  Whether from NGC, PCGS, or ANACS?  Curious as in my opinion the coins come back discolored, spotty and looking like "Details: Cleaned" should be on the label afterward.  

Had a Flying Eagle that was ruined but not by PCGS' conservation service.  That shouldn't haven been touched at all in the first place.  Below is an example with a straight graded XF45 Shield Nickel.

5obv.JPG

5rev.JPG

Another.  This one an XF45 Three Cent Nickel.  Looks like they didn't finish the job.  The worst are typically those that are either silver or copper where the color changes in various areas of the coin.

Capture 3cn rev.JPG

Capture 3cn obv.JPG

On 11/24/2021 at 6:18 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I've been very pleased so far with NCS,

I'll second that.  Used NCS 4 times on CC Gold coins.  Very pleased with the professional job done and had a CC $20 piece go up one grade after their work.

All 3 mentioned but no gold coins.  Also bought that way from Great Collections but knew in advance due to their photos.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:07 AM, MN1 said:

but knew in advance

Well, it's not on the labels so how do you know they were 'Conserved'?  Great Collections tell you that?  Share how you can look at an Internet photo and tell that please.

I have purchased coins form Great Collections and there has never been any paperwork with a coin or attribution marking on the slab indicating the coin had been through conservation or not. 

I can tell after having that service added to my submissions.  If the coins I bought off Great Collections weren't conserved by the grading companies of the holders they were in then they were definitely cleaned and got a free pass.  I'm not complaining about not having Details on the label.  I'm just saying I don't think the conservation service was worth it because coins came back looking worse then when I sent them in. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, J P Mashoke said:

on the slab indicating the coin had been through conservation or not. 

Correct!  And if submitted thru NGC the only way to tell is:  1.  The enhanced beauty of the coin & 2.  The NGC Number has changed.*   Don't know how PCGS does theirs but I do know the conservation pics are 'TrueView'.

*Usually takes a month or so to show up in the Database.

There is no certification number to change on raw coins being sent in for the first time.  But I do know what I sent in and what I received back.  Definitely the same coins but looking like .   

Now you are not making sense.  I thought you said you bought the coins from GC.  What 3 services are you talking about.  Sorry if I'm confused and I would still like to see the slab labels.  You can blot out their serial numbers if necessary.  

On 11/24/2021 at 8:07 AM, MN1 said:

All 3 mentioned but no gold coins.  Also bought that way from Great Collections but knew in advance due to their photos.

Both. Two purchased off Great Collections are pictured above.  I can rescan later for the complete holder with label but the worst I unloaded because I was very disappointed and updated those with other purchases.  Had a Flying Eagle, Peace Dollar and Morgan ruined as far as I'm concerned.  

For Alex in PA -

Still at work so don't have a photo to upload but pulled these from the PCGS site  If not aware, on PCGS' cert verification page they will put "Details" on the grade line. This is the same exact coin as the one from the top of this thread if you want to check the markings.  It's not a details coin but looks cleaned.  It's lousy.

PCGS shield nickel - NO DETAILS.JPG

200303811.jpg

@MN1  Okay.  My opinion (and I am the worst coin evaluator living) is:  I see nothing that would prevent me from buying this coin.  XF 45 is a grade I value about the AUs.  I see no hairlines indicating a cleaning but I would refer this to our experts who can give you a more reliable judgement.  It hasn't been dipped and I see, what I think, is a minor Die Crack on the top of the 5.  I have an 83 but if I didn't I probably would buy this coin.  Only my opinions and nothing more.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

Appreciate it.  I have been taking the crash course in coins.   I have a buddy who collects and got me into this.  He has the memberships so when he sends to grade coins I piggyback off him.  Otherwise I buy from eBay/Great Collections.  But he choses the conservation service and I just haven't seen anything come out of looking great yet.  Or at least anything other than gold like stated by someone else.  I'm sure the quality/condition of the coin plays a large part in that too.

Anyway thanks & enjoy your holiday!

On 11/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, MN1 said:

Anyway thanks & enjoy your holiday!

Happy Thanksgiving to you.  Great Collections is fine but when buying from EBay PCGS and NGC only is my motto.  I have found a few ANA/ANACS old white holders I'd buy.  No raw coins unless I personally know the seller.

I think you coin is a good looking Nickel. It looks like it has been around the block for 140 years and has lots of scratches, it may have been summited for restoration but it looks like it may have been passed over. Sometimes the won't restore it if they feel it wont help the coin I have been told. 

I am confused. Did you or someone you know personally submit the Shield nickel and three cent piece that are pictured in this thread?

Edited by Just Bob