• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blast white for the weekend!
2 2

77 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2021 at 5:44 PM, Mohawk said:

Very nice, Mark.  My fiancée would be very into that coin (thumbsu

Thanks!  I love big silver coins, and Peace dollars are particularly attractive, because they're so affordable (relative to Morgans and walking Liberty halves, at least), with no horribly expensive standard issues.  I'm a simple guy, just having fun filling albums with coins I find pretty, and I LOVE the fact that my Peace dollar album is full of coins like this, not one slabbed (well, the 1934-S is not quite as high grade).

Large silver is very nice.  I've been pursuing the Sunshine Mint's 2 ounce ultra high relief silver Egyptian Gods series myself right now and I'm loving it.  Lots of fun and amazing designs (I should take a pic of the Sobek one for this thread...he's about the only blast white numismatic item I own!.  Him and the Khnum one as well), I'm having a blast with them!! Peace Dollars are lovely and they're a great set to pursue.....and like you said, much more affordable than a full set of Morgans or Walkers!!! And there's nothing wrong with having to make allowances grade-wise with the '34-S.  That's one TOUGH coin in high grades!!  To me, there's nothing wrong with a nice VF-XF for that spot whatsoever.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mohawk said:

And here's Khnum.  He's the other blast white one I have right now.  I have Anubis and Osiris as well, but I have the antiqued versions of them, so I don't know if that would count here:

101_5388.JPG

101_5390.JPG

Gorgeous!  What is it?

They are both 2 ounce silver rounds from the Sunshine Mint's Egyptian Gods 2 Ounce Ultra High Relief Silver series.  I'm attempting the whole set, maybe minus the first round which is Cleopatra because she's not an Egyptian God, so including her seems a bit silly to me but that completionist bug may bite me here, I don't know.  I'm considering doing a Custom Set of these on the Registry so I can share them and tell the stories of the gods depicted on them.  I love things from Antiquity and I love modern things that remember things from the Ancient World.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/7/2021 at 6:24 PM, Mohawk said:

They are both 2 ounce silver rounds from the Sunshine Mint's Egyptian Gods 2 Ounce Ultra High Relief Silver series.  I'm attempting the whole set, maybe minus the first round which is Cleopatra because she's not an Egyptian God, so including her seems a bit silly to me but that completionist bug may bite me here, I don't know.  I'm considering doing a Custom Set of these on the Registry so I can share them and tell the stories of the gods depicted on them.  I love things from Antiquity and I love modern things that remember things from the Ancient World.

Cleopatra was a descendant of Ptolemy, a general under Alexander the Great.  And as pharaoh, she was considered a "god on earth."  You'll get her!

On 11/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, 124Spider said:

Cleopatra was a descendant of Ptolemy, a general under Alexander the Great.  And as pharaoh, she was considered a "god on earth."  You'll get her!

See, that is all absolutely true, now that you mention it!!  I need to remember that the pharaohs were absolutely viewed as gods on Earth!! I think that I'll have to add her now.  It's only proper.  I will get her at that! Thanks for the necessary reminder (thumbsu

On 11/7/2021 at 8:18 PM, Mohawk said:

Being that I am primarily an ancients guy, I can only think of two blast white silver pieces I have to share right now.  Here's my Sobek round for my Egyptian Gods 2 ounce silver set.  He's one of the two.  I've posted him before, but these pics are my own rather than the seller's:

101_5384.JPG

101_5386.JPG

Hey!!!! It’s old Alligator Face!!! How’s he doing’???

On 11/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, VKurtB said:

Nice GSA 83CC. Better’n either of mine.

Thanks!  I was lucky; it was buried in the website, so the retailer may well not have known they had it (the front page showed "out of stock," but another route in showed it there), and had not updated the price (I told them about the glitch, but they happily sold me the coin, and updated the prices of the other coins that had been hidden).  I've learned that you win some, and you lose some; I can celebrate the wins!

Edited by 124Spider