• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Lincoln penny mint error
1 1

20 posts in this topic

After all the long-shot "error coins" that get posted here, I was a little excited to see "1983 Lincoln" error in the title, since there really is a 1983 Lincoln cent error (doubled die reverse).

But, alas, this isn't it.  I am not knowledgeable about these off-center strikes, but the experts seem to say that it has to be much more off-center than that to be worth real money.

Mark

I have to add something here......it looks like the coin is on OfferUp.  That is one of the worst places to buy coins in this known universe.  Lots of fakes, damaged coins being sold as errors and varieties are on there.  I would strongly urge you to never buy a coin on OfferUp ever again.  Also stay away from Alibaba and Etsy......all three of those places are cesspools when it comes to buying coins.

Indeed they are, Cbanton, indeed they are.  You just can't stop some people from walking off a cliff, no matter what you do.  They have to plummet for themselves.

Not a mis aligned die it is off in the same direction on both obv and rev.  Not an off-center because none of the details are off the edge of the planchet, looks more like an uncentered broadstrike.  worth more than face value, but not $32 (in my opinion)

I was wondering about that site Etsy🤣 The prices people are asking for the on there just blows my mind. Haven’t been to any of the other sites. I personally wouldn’t buy or even sell a coin unless it’s been certified as an error through a grading company but to each his/her own. 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:19 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

Most of those damaged million dollar Coins 'for sale' by women are actually hookers and it is code. Just an FYI. Sad but true.

Really?!  That's insane!!! I would never have thought of that but, then again, I'm not in the market for the services of prostitutes. I try to learn something new every day, and I'd say this counts as my new fact of the day (thumbsu

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/4/2021 at 1:00 PM, Mohawk said:

Really?!  That's insane!!! I would never have thought of that but, then again, I'm not in the market for the services of prostitutes. I try to learn something new every day, and I'd say this counts as my new fact of the day (thumbsu

You read it on the Internet, so it must be true!

On 11/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, 124Spider said:

You read it on the Internet, so it must be true!

I don't doubt that this is true, actually.  The lengths that people will go to in order to conduct illegal activities for monetary gain are astounding!! And as someone who has known their share of criminal justice students during their time as a student, I know that criminals often develop their own lingo and codes.  While the village I live in is quite nice, the town a couple towns over from it (and closer to a major metropolis known for some sketchy folks) is sleazy as all hell. All kinds of sketchy motels from the '50s and '60s that are now run down and attract some shady types.  You're always hearing about prostitution busts over there on the news.  It's crazy!!! And they've caught clergy members, teachers, local and state politicians, prominent business people.....all sorts of walks of life you wouldn't necessarily expect in these stings.  The crazy thing to me is that they've had so many stings and people still go there to procure the services of prostitutes!  Not to mention all of the other consequences of this activity as well......*sigh*.  I don't understand why people do things they do a lot of the time.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/4/2021 at 8:16 PM, Mohawk said:

I don't doubt that this is true, actually.  The lengths that people will go to in order to conduct illegal activities for monetary gain are astounding!! And as someone who has known their share of criminal justice students during their time as a student, I know that criminals often develop their own lingo and codes.  While the village I live in is quite nice, the town a couple towns over from it (and closer to a major metropolis known for some sketchy folks) is sleazy as all hell. All kinds of sketchy motels from the '50s and '60s that are now run down and attract some shady types.  You're always hearing about prostitution busts over there on the news.  It's crazy!!! And they've caught clergy members, teachers, local and state politicians, prominent business people.....all sorts of walks of life you wouldn't necessarily expect in these stings.  The crazy thing to me is that they've had so many stings and people still go there to procure the services of prostitutes!  Not to mention all of the other consequences of this activity as well......*sigh*.  I don't understand why people do things they do a lot of the time.

Unfortunately, my grdaughter's, and my grson's mother (my son sure can pick em) and several female relatives are 'in the business' and used the Back Page app until it was shut down because of it. They all then moved to LET GO which was bought out by Offer Up. And now...you have the rest of the story.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:08 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Unfortunately, my grdaughter's, and my grson's mother (my son sure can pick em) and several female relatives are 'in the business' and used the Back Page app until it was shut down because of it. They all then moved to LET GO which was bought out by Offer Up. And now...you have the rest of the story.

Boy, it sounds like he really can pick them!! And that makes sense.....I remember hearing about the Back Page thing on the news a while back.  Like I said....this kind of stuff always finds a way.  My criminal justice acquaintances certainly taught me that!!

On 11/4/2021 at 9:21 PM, Mohawk said:

Boy, it sounds like he really can pick them!! And that makes sense.....I remember hearing about the Back Page thing on the news a while back.  Like I said....this kind of stuff always finds a way.  My criminal justice acquaintances certainly taught me that!!

You know, that Back Page serial killer dude from IL was shot and killed with his own gun by a hooker herr in Charleston. The GrParents actually lived in the same apartment afterwards. Crazy but true.