• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Bicentennial Quarter (Missing the 7 in the 1976)

16 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2021 at 7:00 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Debris filled die (commonly called grease filled die) error.  Maybe worth a buck plus/minus, but it might be challenging finding a buyer

Sorry Terrance I did not notice you were a new member , Welcome to the forum. I agree with Old hoopster all the numbers are weak . I was just joking about it wearing off . I am not sure the profit  would be worth the cost of shipping.

Edited by J P Mashoke

Hello and Welcome Terrance!!!

Hoopster has it right....you have a grease/debris filled die.  Basically, some kind of junk filled that 7 in on the die and because it was filled, that 7 didn't appear on the coin struck from that die.  It's unusual, but worth maybe a dollar to someone but I think you'd have a tough time finding a buyer for it.  There are people that collect this kind of thing, but not a whole lot of them.

They were running low on "7s" at the Mint, so they used fewer of them, and also attached some without enough glue. One of them fell off of your quarter, and two others were "cut-down" to half size so they would be able to make more coins with the correct dates.

Also, the drummer hurt his left hand and that's why it's in a bandage.

;)

Edited by RWB

On 10/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, Terrance Zamora said:

I agree hoopster, do you think it would do okay on coinsforsale.com?

Usually, finding errors isn't easy, and most of the ones you do find will be minor.  The problem is that minor errors (die chips, die cracks, filled dies) are rarely worth more than face.  Finding something that will actually sell for a couple bucks is uncommon.

To answer your question, it's not worth the effort to sell this stuff over the internet (even if you find abuyer, you won't come close to breaking even) and dealers have no interest.  It's equivalent to selling a single wheat cent in circulated condition. 

If you're looking for errors to make money, don't bother.  Occasionally, people get lucky, but occasionally, people win the lottery.  If it was easy to get rich, I'd be sitting on a Caribbean beach sipping rum drinks with tiny umbrellas instead of drinking a coors light watching Monday night football on TV

Thanks for the insight everyone.  I've found a few interesting minor errors since I've started coin roll hunting and I agree with everyone I've looked around ebay (I know, I know, fleabay) and sights like coinsforsale.com and have come to realize that these coins are interesting when found but rarely worth the effort it takes to sell them.  The ones I've found I plan on holding onto, I like looking through quarters becasue of the numerous new errors associated with the state pennies and I like to look for the west point mint quarters, so far I've found the Lowell and San Antonio.  I went through an entire box of quarters today ands only found one west point quarter. 

On 10/18/2021 at 9:04 PM, Terrance Zamora said:

Thanks for the insight everyone.  I've found a few interesting minor errors since I've started coin roll hunting and I agree with everyone I've looked around ebay (I know, I know, fleabay) and sights like coinsforsale.com and have come to realize that these coins are interesting when found but rarely worth the effort it takes to sell them.  The ones I've found I plan on holding onto, I like looking through quarters becasue of the numerous new errors associated with the state pennies and I like to look for the west point mint quarters, so far I've found the Lowell and San Antonio.  I went through an entire box of quarters today ands only found one west point quarter. 

Those W's are getting hard to find, I've heard.  I actually found one in my laundry money today, so there's still some out there waiting to be found.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:21 PM, Mohawk said:

Those W's are getting hard to find, I've heard.  I actually found one in my laundry money today, so there's still some out there waiting to be found.

Ive not found any since we had our friendly contest on here while back. Its been a while since i roll hunted. Cant never find time to go to bank. 

On 10/20/2021 at 5:33 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive not found any since we had our friendly contest on here while back. Its been a while since i roll hunted. Cant never find time to go to bank. 

Mine was completely random.  We get $20 in quarters every week to do laundry because we don't have laundry hookups in our apartment.  I do look through those quarters, though, I don't just drop them into the machines sight unseen.  So I was looking through our new rolls yesterday and there it was.  It's in pretty nice condition, too.  I don't really roll hunt all that much aside from that $20 in quarters every week....too much work for too little reward.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/20/2021 at 9:28 AM, Mohawk said:

Mine was completely random.  We get $20 in quarters every week to do laundry because we don't have laundry hookups in our apartment.  I do look through those quarters, though, I don't just drop them into the machines sight unseen.  So I was looking through our new rolls yesterday and there is was.  It's in pretty nice condition, too.  I don't really roll hunt all that much aside from that $20 in quarters every week....too much work for too little reward.

I went through a few dozen rolls of quarters a year ago, trying to fill out my states and parks quarters albums (I did!).  Here in Seattle, coins minted in Philadelphia are relatively rare, so I asked my sister in Maryland to send me a bunch of rolls (almost of of which were P-minted).  In all those quarters, I did not find one W. But I did find all the parks and states, so it was a win.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, 124Spider said:

I went through a few dozen rolls of quarters a year ago, trying to fill out my states and parks quarters albums (I did!).  Here in Seattle, coins minted in Philadelphia are relatively rare, so I asked my sister in Maryland to send me a bunch of rolls (almost of of which were P-minted).  In all those quarters, I did not find one W. But I did find all the parks and states, so it was a win.

I'm glad you could finish your set, Mark!! I've been weirdly fortunate with W's....I've actually found about 10 of them out in the wild and my Dad found a Salt River Bay at his Laundromat that he gave to me.  I've kept them all, except for a couple duplicate Weir Farm and Wilderness of No Returns that I've sold (but at a lower rate than most were selling them for.  I mostly did it to help people who wanted them to get them fairly cheaply).  I don't really actively collect them nor try to roll hunt for them, but if I find them I do hang onto them. It's kind of cool seeing that little W on a coin that's actually out there being a coin rather than on something like a Silver Eagle.

Edited by Mohawk

I just started coin roll hunting about a month ago and so far I've found the Lowell and San Antonio mission (W) quarters, I started out thinking they'd be somewhat easy to come across but I was wrong about that but I enjoy going through coin rolls becasue you never know what your going to find and at the end of the day its a  hobby that doesn't cost much.