• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgans Starting to Ship
1 1

89 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 4:18 PM, 124Spider said:

It's always amusing when someone goes to the trouble to post his disdain for a product that is getting so many others excited.  I'm hoping [sic] up and down over your superiority!  :)

Well, exc-u-u-se me, but there are still a few collectors who were around when coins were real. And paper money was positively exquisite.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:18 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Well, exc-u-u-se me, but there are still a few collectors who were around when coins were real. And paper money was positively exquisite.

I started collecting coins when "silver" was silver.  I have a few silver dollars got by my parents in a trip in 1960 (when I remember) when silver dollars still circulated.  So you needn't talk down to me.

My issue, obviously, is when someone, in an effort to show how discriminating he is, trashes people for liking something.  That accomplishes nothing positive.

Here's what's going on ATS:

just received a Morgan D in the mail from the US Mint this weekend. Upon inspection, it has what appears to be a punch marks or blow holes under the D in "United" and under the last A in "America" on the reverse side. I am new to coin collecting so I'm not really sure what the process is. Does this affect the value of the coin? Should I be asking for a return/replacement?

I think they are minor strike thru errors. Apparently quite a few of these coins have problems. Some posted here have larger strike thrus as well.

t's a shame to pay all that money for these things and have a bunch of them turning out with worthless strike thrus that are more of a distraction than they are of value.

I cannot determine what may have caused those two 'indents'...the one on the left (as viewed) also appears to have a gouge attached, while the right one is clean. Strange... and on a new coin like this...

Has anyone seen blue paint? On the Peace dollars? (He had picture to show it)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1065925/2021-morgan-dollar-defects#latest

Edited by Alex in PA.

Prices for OGP Boxed 2021 Morgans, all mints, is dropping on EBay.  Sellers may have had a look inside the boxes and discovered some flaws and deemed them unworthy of Submitting.

And for you Peace Dollar fans check closely for the Blue Paint.

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, 124Spider said:

I started collecting coins when "silver" was silver.  I have a few silver dollars got by my parents in a trip in 1960 (when I remember) when silver dollars still circulated.  So you needn't talk down to me.

My issue, obviously, is when someone, in an effort to show how discriminating he is, trashes people for liking something.  That accomplishes nothing positive.

I am going to chalk this up to unfamiliarity with the unorthodox way I express myself. My fault. If I offended you in any way I am truly sorry. Most assuredly not a case of arachnaphobia; I automatically assume everyone knows better than to pay any attention to me. Now the damage is done. You've dignified my off-hand observation by responding to it. Forgive me, spiderman.  🕷  🐓 

On 11/3/2021 at 10:32 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Prices for OGP Boxed 2021 Morgans, all mints, is dropping on EBay.  Sellers may have had a look inside the boxes and discovered some flaws and deemed them unworthy of Submitting.

The price drop was expected as soon as the flood of them hit the market.

Pre-sellers sell a bunch for $300-$500 and think they've made a fortune. When the buyers see the initial price drops, they cancel the sale or return the coins. Of course if the price goes higher, the pre-sellers "weren't able to get their orders filled by the mint" and they cancel the sale as out of stock. 

@gmarguli  Sir, you are making it very difficult for me to maintain my dislike for these new coins, the Morgans in particular.  Are you suggesting I open the box 📦 and at least take a look at them before I return them and before the FMV gods have come to a provisional decision on what their price will be? What really kills me is I was one of the collectors who saw merit in the proposal to submit a resolution to Congress endorsing their production and now I am sitting here very patiently, bold chisel-edged permanent black marker in hand and can't wait to desecrate the box with "REFUSED" and "R.T.S." with a red arrow pointing to the return address.

I should've stuck to 🐓...

On 11/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, gmarguli said:

When the buyers see the initial price drops,

You can get at P, D, or S for $119.00 or Best Offer.  Maybe the sellers have had a peek inside the Government little black boxes and found the following:  (Comments from ATS.  Names have been withheld to protect the innocent)

just received a Morgan D in the mail from the US Mint this weekend. Upon inspection, it has what appears to be a punch marks or blow holes under the D in "United" and under the last A in "America" on the reverse side. I am new to coin collecting so I'm not really sure what the process is. Does this affect the value of the coin? Should I be asking for a return/replacement?

I think they are minor strike thru errors. Apparently quite a few of these coins have problems. Some posted here have larger strike thrus as well.

t's a shame to pay all that money for these things and have a bunch of them turning out with worthless strike thrus that are more of a distraction than they are of value.

I cannot determine what may have caused those two 'indents'...the one on the left (as viewed) also appears to have a gouge attached, while the right one is clean. Strange... and on a new coin like this...

Has anyone seen blue paint? On the Peace dollars?  (He had picture to show it)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1065925/2021-morgan-dollar-defects#latest

Yep, not the highest quality this time. My Peace dollars had a couple of hits and one had a fingerprint in front of the face. The Morgans have a couple of dings here and there. However, many of the coins are also perfect.

I think this is the first time we will see a bunch of MS67/MS68 modern commems in the pop reports made by people who send in moderns blindly. 

On 11/3/2021 at 7:02 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Membership has its privileges.    🐓 

If you're looking for a reason I got mine first, I'd look to a short shipping path. Tennessee is right next door.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, Zebo said:

You might have an error box. Could be worth big money!

Mine are not black ink .VkurtB is right not any luster! The wee privy mark is so small it’s barely visible. The Coin had slipped out of its capsule due to a very sloppy fit in the case. You know his hard it used to be to pry the capsule out of the case, not that way anymore. Coin pics attached.

too many GB for the peace reverse. Note the reflection over the In God We trust is a reflection from the capsule.

FD9FFDFD-6BCA-4467-886D-5F2100864EE6.jpeg

74C2A9A3-67F1-4FAF-AE30-62219B2C50BD.jpeg

46762469-B090-43CA-8909-C302593DACB9.jpeg

6C6EF5BA-233F-4996-94B0-35E9B5924B77.jpeg

7D75778D-B4F3-4A5A-B9A3-546F2249DDCE.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Ps

On 11/4/2021 at 4:17 PM, VKurtB said:

If you're looking for a reason I got mine first, I'd look to a short shipping path. Tennessee is right next door.

Your alibi rings true. After all, if it "absolutely, positively" must get there... 

Mississippi is right next door too, but does the mild-mannered Token Man have the connections? 

I'm inclined to let you slide on this one.  (worship)   🐓  

On 11/4/2021 at 4:33 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

The Coin had slipped out of its capsule due to a very sloppy fit in the case.

This happens quite often in my experience with world mints, especially the SAM.  Why can't they get a capsule that stays shut.:frustrated:

I didn't get any; yet.  You folks aren't the only ones who have coins of poor workmanship and for that I am truly sorry.  I use to deal with the United States Mint decades ago but stopped because their Quality Control became so poor.  The last item I bought was the Old San Francisco Mint Dollar and it was so shabby I gave it away.  You would have thought, with all the hype, this would have turned out better.

BTW:  Last night the Morgan was selling for $119.00 and right now it sells for $114.00  Think some sellers have had a peek in their 'Little Black Box'?

On 11/4/2021 at 4:33 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Mine are not black ink .VkurtB is right not any luster! The wee privy mark is so small it’s barely visible. The Coin had slipped out of its capsule due to a very sloppy fit in the case. You know his hard it used to be to pry the capsule out of the case, not that way anymore. Coin pics attached.

too many GB for the peace reverse. Note the reflection over the In God We trust is a reflection from the capsule.

FD9FFDFD-6BCA-4467-886D-5F2100864EE6.jpeg

74C2A9A3-67F1-4FAF-AE30-62219B2C50BD.jpeg

46762469-B090-43CA-8909-C302593DACB9.jpeg

6C6EF5BA-233F-4996-94B0-35E9B5924B77.jpeg

7D75778D-B4F3-4A5A-B9A3-546F2249DDCE.jpeg

The original OP regarding the black ink on a black box was referring to the box itself and not the sleeve that covers it. That ink is black - I was just making a joke. 

@Zebo  I believe I have come up with a common numismatic term, we all use, that describes these 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars to a T.

But before I inflict it on you, the OP, and those who may be lurking about, pretend you are a juror with no prior knowledge of the testimony you are about to hear or evidence you are about to see.

In probably every other instance on this Forum where a coin's appearance is dismissed/discounted/denounced, the term used is lobbed as a one-word epithet:  "CLEANED."

Forget everything you may have heard or read about these coins and approach them with an unbiased mind 🤔 with no axe 🪓  to grind: they look  "CLEANED."

Don't take my word, or anyone else's, for that matter.  First impression: they have an unnatural but somewhat familiar, deja vu-look that virtually scream "CLEANED!" 

And, quite frankly, it would not surprise me in the least if those members who have been most vocal in expressing their disdain for counterfeiters and their products, would detest these coins similarly, or worse, as Chinese knock-offs... if they bore any of the dates of the original series... IMNSHO.   🐓  

On 10/30/2021 at 5:13 PM, Alex in PA. said:

I just got these off EBay.  Lowest price and up:   I really expected much higher.

Morgan S & D    =  $119.00

Morgan P            =  $125.00

Morgan CC         =   $174.95

Peace                  =   $159.99

Not to me.

I did read prices were higher earlier before the coins shipped but each has a (minimum) mintage of 175,000, which is comparable to the TPG counts for the most common real Morgan and Peace dollars.  Slightly scarcer but the difference isn't meaningful and presumably (as I have not checked) comparably priced up to MS-65.

The above prices aren't cheap for what is actually being bought.

I read through this thread and at the beginning I didn’t know what was meant by a privy mark . Now, after seeing the circle around the “ cc”’, it’s just a stupid useless add on. And just knowing it’s there would prevent me from enjoying this coin, thus I wouldn’t look at it if I owned one. 

I have NOT received the two Morgans I ordered six months ago.

FURTHERMORE, the two parties I ordered them from (at extortionate prices: 3x issue) have refused to acknowledge my inquiries.

COMPLICATING matters, I had used a debit card which is no longer valid at my request when I inadvertently left it at a bank ATM.

PRICES have since fallen, I never really wanted them in the first place, more so when negative reports started coming, and so requested a refund which I doubt can occur unless I provide them with my new number which I refuse to do.

EBay has pointedly told me there is nothing they can do despite "demanding" to know why I had consulted my order details.

I seriously doubt any member has suffered a worse fate than me. (Now even my Roosters are mocking me!)

I seriously doubt any member has suffered a worse fate than me. (Now even my Roosters are mocking me!)

Oh, I have.  You're talking to a guy who bought a fake key date Ottoman gold 100 Kurush a little more than a decade ago.  Trust me....that was a worse fate, my friend.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I have NOT received the two Morgans I ordered six months ago.

FURTHERMORE, the two parties I ordered them from (at extortionate prices: 3x issue) have refused to acknowledge my inquiries.

COMPLICATING matters, I had used a debit card which is no longer valid at my request when I inadvertently left it at a bank ATM.

I’m surprised the ATM didn’t swallow your card. I did this once and sure enough, they had it. BBT was my bank . 
I’d be despondent too. 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:53 PM, Dave1384 said:

I’m surprised the ATM didn’t swallow your card. I did this once and sure enough, they had it. BBT was my bank . 
I’d be despondent too. 

My wife and I revisited the bank branch the following morning and I asked her to repeat what I had done the previous day: check the balance in her account, and print the receipt. She did as prompted and when the receipt was ejected, another visual but inaudible prompt instructed her to remove her card, which was unlocked for easy removal.

I was momentarily distracted by what she said the day before, turned to her, said Wait! grabbed my receipt and left. The next client removed the card and managed to go on a shopping spree without my PIN or supporting ID. Due to COVID-19, this branch, though minimally staffed with no platform personnel, was attended by a security guard seated not more than seven feet from where I stood. I hypothesized that the cacophony of bells and chimes drove the security guards crazy and they argued successfully to have them removed. I consulted a nearby branch of the same bank and asked them why they couldn't simply check the surveillance tape from the camera placed in the lobby where the ATM's were.  He said the bank, citing costs, and the fact a crime had not occurred inside the bank, would simply write off the cost after an investigation. Long story short:  DENIED. The bank likely reasoned the error was mine, not theirs. 

I don’t use the ATM at my bank often , but when I do, it will not perform the request until I remove the card. 

I once found a wallet on a 4 lane highway as I was pulling out onto it. In New Jersey. On my way home I drove it to the address. In Mount Holly, 10 miles out of my way. I barely got a thank you. 

I hope you can get that rectified. 

On 11/29/2021 at 8:34 PM, Dave1384 said:

I hope you can get that rectified. 

Ain't never going to happen.  Their "investigation" was limited to my interviews, recorded for posterity.  I got the impression that we are not multimillionaire, if we disputed the verdict, we could take our business elsewhere.  If not for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.  I appreciate your sympathy for my plight.