• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couldnt resist picking up this coin today. Can you fellas venture a grade ?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

1921 P Morgan Very Nice. Paid $68 with tax.

IMG-2578.jpg

IMG-2577.jpg

It’s a 1921-S, not a P, and to me, $68 is waaaaaaaay too much.

1921-S not P, AU55 ish is the best I guess from the pics and I would say that you paid full retail +.  Currently on ebay there is an ANACS graded AU58 with a bin price of $55 with $4 shipping.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:28 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s a 1921-S, not a P, and to me, $68 is waaaaaaaay too much.

Thank you. Looked like a p to me. That said, this coin is much sharper that my NGC MS63, and according to what I see on EBay, they are a whole lot more than $68. The two are SOLD ones. 7F85E9F8-2841-4391-A4D6-60E6E18694CD.thumb.jpeg.b93b93fc28a6fdb18301185c882a24da.jpeg

On 10/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thank you. Looked like a p to me. That said, this coin is much sharper that my NGC MS63, and according to what I see on EBay, they are a whole lot more than $68. The two are SOLD ones. 7F85E9F8-2841-4391-A4D6-60E6E18694CD.thumb.jpeg.b93b93fc28a6fdb18301185c882a24da.jpeg

These are ridiculous. 

On 10/17/2021 at 2:55 PM, VKurtB said:

These are ridiculous. 

Well I think you’ve mentioned that on a number of occasions, haven’t you. But realistically they are selling at a premium because of the anniversary. I had the 1921 Morgan ms63, the 1922 Peace , the 2021 Morgan CC ( if I ever get the darned thing), the 2021 Peace dollar, the 2021 Ty 1 and Type 2 ASE, the 2021 Brittania, and the 1921 Florin , so that my anniversary set.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:51 PM, Coinbuf said:

1921-S not P, AU55 ish is the best I guess from the pics and I would say that you paid full retail +.  Currently on ebay there is an ANACS graded AU58 with a bin price of $55 with $4 shipping.

I was going to go AU53 myself, Coinbuf.  But it could get a 55 too, I suppose.  But, yeah, Bill you did overpay for it, unfortunately.  There's no way that coin is any kind of MS grade.

Thanks everyone, if that AU is $58 then I didn’t do so bad, worth ten bucks to me to have it.

besides . I had the 1921 Morgan ms63, the 1922 Peace , the 2021 Morgan CC ( if I ever get the darned thing), the 2021 Peace dollar, the 2021 Ty 1 and Type 2 ASE, the 2021 Brittania, and the 1921 Florin , so that my anniversary set.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:39 PM, RWB said:

EF. Commonly called "EF-AU" when bought by the roll. Worth melt.

Yup. +1 There was a 1921-S just very similar to this at the Rainbow City / Gadsden (AL) Coin Club auction this week. The minimum bid was $35. There were no bids. It was returned to the seller.

Edited by VKurtB

Buying raw coins is tough Bill  I wanted to look at a 1922 Pease yesterday at one of the antique dealers I go to a lot. It was on a shelf in a small zip bag. I asked if he thought it had been cleaned it was only $29 I took it out of the bag and gave it a look with my loupe and it had more scratches than a flea farm dog. Needless to say it is still on the shelf.  

On 10/17/2021 at 2:51 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thank you. Looked like a p to me.

Hey Bill.  I'm sorry if you didn't fair too well on this one price-wise.  You seem to be a really nice person from all the comments you've made and always roll with the punches so to speak which I really do respect.  Ya gotta have some thick skin here on the forum for sure (which you definitely seem to have) and I believe everyone is just trying to help you out as a collector and as forum friends. Even I have thrown a less than accommodating comment, or two, your way in the past and you've always given me a like or thanks.... Hey..... even if this one is not MS, at least it wasn't a three, or even four, $ figure coin mistake.  No harm, no foul.  Heck, I've lost $40+ bucks before on frozen and refrigerated groceries I forgot were in my truck in the middle of the summer..... we all make mistakes at times as humans.  Maybe your lighting wasn't very good in your pic of this 1921 which led it to an AU.... don't know, not sure.  I'm not a grader, still learning though.  I would like to ask what the others are seeing that brings this down to AU but I'm not going to ask......HA! (I think I just did) all in the effort to continue to learn, respectfully so. Also, quoting your P mint mark thing, I'm sure you know, but the Mint never put a Philly MM on Morgans.  Good luck brother.  

GBrad's right Bill.....we all make mistakes in this hobby.  About 10 years ago I bought a counterfeit, key date Ottoman Empire gold 100 Kurush.  That one HURT!!!!  That was easily the stupidest move I've ever made with coins. Be glad that you didn't do that one, trust me.

Edited by Mohawk

I’m sorry guys I just can’t seem to accept this coin as AU53. I got out the big gun and took a few more pictures. If, after this, you guys still call it AU53, I’ll swallow my pride and go on with life.

2BCD38E6-948E-41BB-AD6C-FA9B2E1EFB65.jpeg

06C889B8-365B-42BD-B52E-87A8BD63CC13.jpeg

208EF353-4120-4A82-A49D-FEBD669655D2.jpeg

373A4A8E-1EC8-4983-9C51-8C3990E4D5BB.jpeg

Hi Bill,

You're not going to like this but from those pics, I'm more at the XF-AU straddling line, sadly.  Let's call it a 50.  It looks like it's a bit more worn to me from those pics and it looks like there is very little luster remaining, if any, to explain my change of thoughts on it.  

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/17/2021 at 6:17 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi Bill,

You're not going to like this but from those pics, I'm more at the XF-AU straddling line, sadly.  Let's call it a 50.

Ouch, ok thank you Mohawk. Just proves IDKS. Gulp, there went the swallowing of my pride. Oh well, at least I won’t lose more money sending it in for grading. :frown:

On 10/17/2021 at 6:21 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Ouch, ok thank you Mohawk. Just proves IDKS. Gulp, there went the swallowing of my pride. Oh well, at least I won’t lose more money sending it in for grading. :frown:

I'm really sorry, Bill.  We all take our lumps doing this....I know I have.  I'm very glad to hear you say you're not going to grade this dollar...it's definitely not worth the extra expense of doing so.  Buying raw coins can be quite hard when you're starting out but I have to say that many of the British pieces you have been posting are quite nice.  You're doing well there, IMHO.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Buying raw coins is tough Bill  I wanted to look at a 1922 Pease yesterday at one of the antique dealers I go to a lot. It was on a shelf in a small zip bag. I asked if he thought it had been cleaned it was only $29 I took it out of the bag and gave it a look with my loupe and it had more scratches than a flea farm dog. Needless to say it is still on the shelf.  

Thanks JP et al ! I’m great full to have the 1921 NGC MS63 and the 1922 peace NGC MS63, so maybe I’ll just sell this on on eBay for $75 and call it a win!

Bill

On 10/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thanks JP et al ! I’m great full to have the 1921 NGC MS63 and the 1922 peace NGC MS63, so maybe I’ll just sell this on on eBay for $75 and call it a win!

Bill

If you're talking about the 1921-S Morgan, I wouldn't do that.....in AU 50, that coin is worth about $42 according to NGC's Coin Explorer.  It's not worth anywhere near $75 whatsoever.  It's not right to try to pass a mistake onto another collector at a price well above what the coin is worth.  I can't just stand by and let that one fly....it's not right.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Bill

Keep it as a reminder to look for the ware on the high spots it is not easy to see all the little things like the veins on the  leaves on the wreath or the talons are worn off. The cotton balls or the hair around the ear are smooth it is all a learning process and you don't want to pass it on to some one who is green. Do what I do I have a coin that was cleaned I paid $30 for and is just melt so I let the kids hold it and hand it around if they drop it I can sleep at night.. LoL

On 10/17/2021 at 2:51 PM, Coinbuf said:

Currently on ebay there is an ANACS graded AU58 with a bin price of $55 with $4 shipping.

I recently purchased a 1921 (P) PCGS MS 64 OGH 3 Gen Holder from EBay for $48.00 + Free Shipping.  Prices 'appear' to be rising but more on the 21 Peace Dollar.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:17 PM, J P Mashoke said:

This is my happy play money Bill. Have you ever seen a shinier Morgan :roflmao: 

1921 D.jpg

1921 D reverse.jpg

Sadly, JP, I have.  When I worked at the coin shop, someone polished a 1902 Morgan to try to make it look like a proof......too bad that the polishing job was terrible and it's further too bad that they didn't seem to account for the O mint mark on the reverse doh!

To the OP, I'd guess AU 55.  I have an 1893 Morgan dollar graded XF40 (PCGS), and it is far more worn.  I doubt very much that yours is a mint state coin.

But it's a very nice coin, and I wouldn't worry about "overpaying," when the amount by which you may have overpaid is so little (especially in a market as fluid as Morgan dollars and Peace dollars are right now).  I long ago decided that I am far more concerned with getting the coin I want, truly in the condition I want, than about a very few dollars one way or another.

Edited by 124Spider

On 10/18/2021 at 1:10 PM, 124Spider said:

To the OP, I'd guess AU 55.  I have an 1893 Morgan dollar graded XF40 (PCGS), and it is far more worn.  I doubt very much that yours is a mint state coin.

But it's a very nice coin, and I wouldn't worry about "overpaying," when the amount by which you may have overpaid is so little (especially in a market as fluid as Morgan dollars and Peace dollars are right now).  I long ago decided that I am far more concerned with getting the coin I want, truly in the condition I want, than about a very few dollars one way or another.

I'm with you on this, Mark.  If I see a Fausti I need, I like it and I have the bucks, I go for it.  I'm more worried about my Fausti collection than a couple bucks.

~Tom

On 10/18/2021 at 7:31 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm with you on this, Mark.  If I see a Fausti I need, I like it and I have the bucks, I go for it.  I'm more worried about my Fausti collection than a couple bucks.

~Tom

Wait! A Faustian bargain? You devil!

On 10/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, VKurtB said:

Wait! A Faustian bargain? You devil!

That's a good one!!! And I've found my fair share of Faustian bargains in my time lol