• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1922 One dollar

14 posts in this topic

I'm not familiar with this coin, my mother found an old jar and just gave this and other coins to me, on the word "trust" the "u" is resembled as a "v"? I want to grade it, is an awesome coin. Your comments will be appreciated.

20211014_094517.jpg

20211014_094529.jpg

Alright I’ll do your homework for you a simple google would of bought it up … some believe it’s Latin , there is no “U” in Latin , during that period of time when peace dollars and standing liberty quarters were minted it’s was Deco period they used “V” instead of “U” … some also believe the “V” was used for Victory after WW1 . 

Maybe I did not look out on the right place for information, the coin is worn yes, it's been in a jar for years, and Im practically new on this, I apologize for not doing homework and I appreciate your comment. Will try next time. Than you sr.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, Vero86 said:

Maybe I did not look out on the right place for information, the coin is worn yes, it's been in a jar for years, and Im practically new on this, I apologize for not doing homework and I appreciate your comment. Will try next time. Than you sr.

Welcome Vero, You are doing fine and you have to ask questions or you will never know. The coin is very common and I agree it is a cool coin but most of us feel it would have to be worth around $150 before we would send it out for grading and even then only if you want to sell it. your coin although almost 100 years old may be worth $30 give or take.(thumbsu

Vero86.  Welcome. 

I have several coins that maybe aren’t super valuable but they mean something to me. You mentioned that your mom gave you this. Right there is plenty reason to keep it and enjoy it. It is silver and therefore value added. You can take better pictures than most. 😉

I’d like to add that sports cards and such are nice but a accident or fire your left with ashes. Something happens to the coin you still got the silver. 👍🏼

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 10/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, Vero86 said:

No need to apologize. This is the newbie forum, after all, and most of us don't mind first-timer questions. 

Grade is around VF, so value is equal to the silver content, or maybe a bit more. Mintage was 51,737,000, so it is a common coin. Still, any silver dollar is cool to own, so enjoy it.

And, welcome to the forum. :)

On 10/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

The small S mintmark on the reverse of the coin means this was minted at the San Francisco mint where just over 17 million of these dollars were coined.   This makes the coin more valuable than the very common coins of this date that has no mintmark and were coined in Philadelphia.    

Wow! How did I miss that mint mark!? 

Sorry about that, Vero. Rookie mistake on my part. :$

On 10/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, Vero86 said:

Sorry if I sounded mean . Wasn’t trying to be , lately on here there been numerous of questions about same thing you just asked about “U” and “V” on peace dollars and standing liberty quarter …. Some new people come on here ask us for advice they literally turn into a aggressive poster that won’t accept anyone’s advice on here literally wasted some of members time on here even replying to their post …if you stick around and read some of these newbie post from time to time you’ll see what I’m talking about … some members literally stopped helping some of the newer members with questions because of that reason alone…  

today with power of internet there’s countless articles written on peace dollars you don’t even have to go to a library anymore , lots and lots of information out there VS what we had back in the old days going to libraries and reading up on information … 

your coin is cool it came from your mom I’d would keep it , welcome to the forums hope you pick up the coin collecting hobby like rest of us have. 

Vero86 - Your coin is a 1922-S (San Francisco Mint) silver dollar. It is commonly called a “Peace dollar” because of the word “PEACE” at the bottom reverse (below the eagle).

The coin is 90% silver and 10% copper and weighs 26.73 grams. The diameter is 38.1 millimeters and it is 2.4 millimeters thick. (These standards go back to 1837.) The coin contains 0.77344 troy ounces (24.0567 grams) of pure silver. (Troy weight was used at the US Mint until the mid-20th century.)

Your coin has seen circulation wear and has a very distracting punch mark at center of the obverse (Liberty’s portrait). Because of these it has no meaningful coin collector value, but its worth is equal to the market value of silver it contains. The coin might also have personal or family interest well beyond its nominal commercial worth.

[Side Note:Troy weight is a traditional system of weight in the British Isles based on the grain, pennyweight (24 grains), ounce (20 pennyweights), and pound (12 ounces). The troy grain, pennyweight, and ounce have been used since the Middle Ages to weigh gold, silver, and other precious metals and stones. The name supposedly derives from the city of Troyes in France, site of one of the major medieval fairs. The troy pound was adopted by the U.S. Mint for the regulation of coinage in 1828. The troy pound is equal to the apothecaries’ pound and to approximately 0.82 avoirdupois pound and 0.373 kilogram.” Encyclopedia Britannica.]

Edited by RWB

Hi Vero,

Well....it looks like the others have this one right on.  I have nothing to add other than that I concur with the others.

~Tom