• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Gold Coin Purchase, Please Help, Regarding Different Labels on the Slab

19 posts in this topic

Hey all, I am on the verge of pulling the trigger and purchasing my first slabbed gold coin.  It's definitely not going to be a major purchase due to a lack of funds, preferably $350 or less which I know will only get me in the 1/10 oz. range for a very modern coin (most likely a 2021 American Eagle from my research which I really do like the design), but I have ALWAYS wanted to own at least one gold coin before I die.  I will never have the money to buy rare or high end but nevertheless, I just want a gold coin. I simply LOVE gold as I have been a gold prospector most of my life.  It would be nice to have one slabbed but that is not completely 100% necessary even though it gives peace of mind about its authenticity which goes unsaid so I will probably just stick with something graded.  I've been looking at, and slightly overwhelmed, with all of the different labels placed on the slab whether it be from NGC or PCGS.  My question is this: Do certain labels really add value to a graded/slabbed coin such as a designer's signature, etc....that are worth paying extra for?  I'm not talking about a "green bean" sticker, I'm talking about the umpteen different labels available from each respective TPG company.  Thank for your valued and appreciated input!

Edited by GBrad

I'm with Roger.....the different labels don't impact the value at all in most cases.  When you find the right coin at the right price, just snag it regardless of the label.    

On 10/7/2021 at 2:05 PM, RWB said:

Nope.

You might consider an attractive quarter eagle in your price range, too.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm with Roger.....the different labels don't impact the value at all in most cases.  When you find the right coin at the right price, just snag it regardless of the label.    

Hey guys, thanks for the answers.  For buying slabbed gold, who would be your best recommendation dealer wise? I've looked at numerous different well known online coin dealers and I've actually purchased from some of them in the past, but not gold.  Do you have any particular dealer you would personally buy gold from?

On 10/7/2021 at 2:14 PM, GBrad said:

Hey guys, thanks for the answers.  For buying slabbed gold, who would be your best recommendation dealer wise? I've looked at numerous different well known online coin dealers and I've actually purchased from some of them in the past, but not gold.  Do you have any particular dealer you would personally buy gold from?

If you're looking for modern gold, Apmex or Modern Coin Mart typically have pretty good selections of slabbed gold.  You could also check out Great Collections and see what Ian and the team have listed up right now.  Those are all good sellers that do a lot of business.  This isn't the collecting world I live in at all, so I cannot speak to actually buying slabbed gold, but people who do collect in this area seem to be happy with all of these sellers.

Put me in the no camp for any value on the label; first strike, first day, blah blah.   Just useless marketing hype as far as I'm concerned.   As to your next questions, I do not have a go to source for gold partly because I'm not a buyer at todays high prices and premiums for bullion, I'll wait it out and hope to see prices drop in the future.    There are lots of options from the modern mint products to some classic $1 and $2.5 coins that can fall into the same price range as the modern mint products so do look around and shop carefully.

What I should be doing is selling all my gold coins as most were bought when gold was much cheaper, but I'm not ready to part with them yet.

@Mohawk I didn't think about GC.  I have heard very good things about Ian.  I will check out what they have.  Thanks!

@Coinbuf Thanks for the opinion about the labels.  I was thinking the same thing deep down inside but wanted to ask just to make sure.  

@RWB Thanks for the suggestion on the Quarter Eagle.  I will look into that!

I am not in any hurry and want to do my research fully before I make a final decision.  I just happened to have a little spare money come my way and thought I'd look into buying gold because I adore it whether found dredging in a creek, metal detecting the ground, or in the form of a nice yellow coin! Not sure where the price of gold is going these days, a lot of variable involved now..... If I can find a coin at a respectable price I can also look at it as an investment and something to pass down to my children.  Thanks guys!

I will say the I also love gold coins, maybe not quite as much as a beautiful mint red Lincoln, but really close.  :)   I have both classic gold coins and the modern eagles, both types are beautiful in their own way and I'm sure that you will be happy with whatever choice you make.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:50 PM, Coinbuf said:

I will say the I also love gold coins, maybe not quite as much as a beautiful mint red Lincoln, but really close

I can't argue with ya there Chris!  I still do love my Lincs too!!

who would be your best recommendation dealer wise?

Northeast Numismatics has a very nice inventory of Double Eagles prices are negotiable.  Give their website a look.  Don't cost anything to window shop.

Buying and Selling Rare Coins at Northeast Numismatics (northeastcoin.com)

On 10/7/2021 at 2:58 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Gold is often a good choice.  

Thanks Alex.  I love its beauty.  I just looked at the website you mentioned.  Everything that was even remotely close to my price range was sold..... oh well, I'm sure they will have more.  

On 10/7/2021 at 3:14 PM, GBrad said:

Everything that was even remotely close to my price range was sold..

I felt like that once but they will give you a Lay Away four monthly payments.  No matter what; don't give up.  There's some nice coins out there.  Good luck.

PS:  If you eve see something you like but have doubts; communicate with Chris.  Fair, reasonable and always will make a deal.

Edited by Alex in PA.

Slab Labels and hype are not important. Grade is important for resale. I started out wanting Bullion Gold Eagle coins but then found  there value is more just market. It did not seam to hold as well or go up like the real gold coins do.  I have 2 older $5 liberty and a Indian so far. I just like the real coins better than the bullion. in the end you can always get melt but a real coin means a little something more like a piece of history.  

On 10/7/2021 at 2:58 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Gold is often a good choice.  

Agreed......sadly with what I collect, gold is also ridiculously expensive!! Faustina may have seen fit to have her face stamped onto a ton of silver, orichalcum and bronze, the same doesn't seem to hold true with gold :(.  Aureii are just expensive in general, too, regardless of ruler.

Edited by Mohawk

Do you have any particular dealer you would personally buy gold from?

You are planning to buy a commodity. Assuming the coin has been authenticated and graded by one of the major 3 companies: Look for either in-person inspection of as wide a selection of coins in your price range as possible, or sellers who offer the best return/exchange terms. Consider buying at a larger coins show, such as the Whitman Expo in Baltimore - wide selection and the opportunity to negotiate.

I'm a GC fan as well. There's my vote. I told my wife a year ago that I was going to give you all of my gold coins when I hit the lottery, it just hasn't worked out yet. Don't wait on me though Greg, I can only afford 1 quick pick a drawing. Good luck hunting!

Gbrad,

Are you only wanting slabbed? I may have one or ten I would part with. I’ve actually got some nice $1 gold I just picked up in a deal recently. I think I have a few slabbed Quarter Eagles somewhere too. Hit me up with what you are looking for exactly. I’ve got about 5 or 6 gold coins I’m about to submit in my next order. I keep putting off sending my next submission and the pile is getting out of hand. I dread the fees on this next one haha. 

Me I prefer classic U.S gold coinage , the modern stuff is okay not as good looking as classic stuff . 

Then don’t forget there’s also world gold coins graded and ungraded too many to list on here that fall in your price range and slightly below your price range as well so gold is easier to reach and obtain more than you think it is