• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JPM WWII Nickels
1 1

17 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2021 at 4:13 PM, Mohawk said:

You're hitting it out of the park with War Nickels lately, J.P.  Very nice!

I am trying to build a poor mans WWII Nickel set. So far this 43 D is the most I have spent out of 8 coins so far at $32 for this coin but still a good deal I think. Now when I find a 43/2 for that price I will have gotten a good deal. 

On 10/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I am trying to build a poor mans WWII Nickel set. So far this 43 D is the most I have spent out of 8 coins so far at $32 for this coin but still a good deal I think. Now when I find a 43/2 for that price I will have gotten a good deal. 

You'll have gotten a screaming deal if you get a 43/2 in MS for $32!! It's hard, but with some cherry picking you may be able to do it.  When I was working at the coin shop, I did manage to find about three of them in circulated grades in our junk silver, but those are long gone now.  I've never been able to cherry one in mint state though....but, hey, challenges can be fun!! Maybe you'll do it!! And you've gotten your 1943-D out of the way, which is good.  That's the toughest business strike to find nice, if I'm remembering correctly.  I know you said it's a poor man's set, but have you given thought to adding the 1942-P Proof?  They're not too bad price-wise in lower grades.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, Mohawk said:

You'll have gotten a screaming deal if you get a 43/2 in MS for $32!! It's hard, but with some cherry picking you may be able to do it.  When I was working at the coin shop, I did manage to find about three of them in circulated grades in our junk silver, but those are long gone now.  I've never been able to cherry one in mint state though....but, hey, challenges can be fun!! Maybe you'll do it!! And you've gotten your 1943-D out of the way, which is good.  That's the toughest business strike to find nice, if I'm remembering correctly.  I know you said it's a poor man's set, but have you given thought to adding the 1942-P Proof?  They're not too bad price-wise in lower grades.

I don't know why NGC is asking for a 43/2 to complete the registry set I would think of that as a error coin ? And I don't think I will find a good looking 43/2 picking through bank rolls in 2021 unless it is a estate clean up that has been overlooked. It does happen around here but not to often. When you say 42-P Proof are you talking a type 1 or 2 ? I have a 42-P type 2 MS66 that I got for $28 it is not a proof but it is real sharp.

1942 P type 2.jpg

1942 P Reverse .jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 10/10/2021 at 7:43 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I don't know why NGC is asking for a 43/2 to complete the registry set I would think of that as a error coin ? And I don't think I will find a good looking 43/2 picking through bank rolls in 2021 unless it is a estate clean up that has been overlooked. It does happen around here but not to often. When you say 42-P Proof are you talking a type 1 or 2 ? I have a 42-P type 2 MS66 that I got for $28 it is not a proof but it is real sharp.

I agree with you on the 1943/2 and the Registry.  If they had a War NIckels Plus Varieties Set, I could see that but not in the basic set.  I don't understand our host's sometimes.....I've been trying to get them to acknowledge that coins from Canadian Uncirculated Sets from 1968 to 1975 come with Cameo contrast just like the preceding Proof Like Sets for years!!!! But I digress.  I should have been more clear on the 1942-P Proof Nickel issue as well and I do apologize.  I meant the Type 2 Proof, the silver one.  It may be a fun addition to your War Nickel set.  And you're right about the bank rolls....you likely won't find a nice 1943/2 that way.  But I'd recommend this: if your local shop has some raw BU War Nickels, take a look through them with your loupe....you may be surprised what can pop up in dealers' stock that isn't attributed sometimes.  As someone who worked in a coin shop, I can tell you that we just don't have the time to look at absolutely everything.

Edited by Mohawk

Very nice!  Mint state wartime silver nickels are surprisingly affordable, if you're not going for top pop examples.  And they do look nice!  Jefferson nickels, IMO, are an excellent set to get the entire set in mint state, for a very little bit of money, and the old ones tone very nicely.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:46 PM, Mohawk said:

I agree with you on the 1943/2 and the Registry.  If they had a War NIckels Plus Varieties Set, I could see that but not in the basic set.  I don't understand our host's sometimes.....I've been trying to get them to acknowledge that coins from Canadian Uncirculated Sets from 1968 to 1975 come with Cameo contrast just like the preceding Proof Like Sets for years!!!! But I digress.  I should have been more clear on the 1942-P Proof Nickel issue as well and I do apologize.  I meant the Type 2 Proof, the silver one.  It may be a fun addition to your War Nickel set.  And you're right about the bank rolls....you likely won't find a nice 1943/2 that way.  But I'd recommend this: if your local shop has some raw BU War Nickels, take a look through them with your loupe....you may be surprised what can pop up in dealers' stock that isn't attributed sometimes.  As someone who worked in a coin shop, I can tell you that we just don't have the time to look at absolutely everything.

They actually do have a War Nickel with varieties set. Good luck finding a cheap 43/2 @J P Mashoke. Even the lower grades aren’t very cheap. 

On 10/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, Lem E said:

Good luck finding a cheap 43/2 @J P Mashoke. Even the lower grades aren’t very cheap. 

And that's the truth!! They weren't cheap 9 years ago when I worked at the coin shop.  But you never know.....you may be able to cherry pick one.  It's not impossible.

On 10/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mohawk said:

And that's the truth!! They weren't cheap 9 years ago when I worked at the coin shop.  But you never know.....you may be able to cherry pick one.  It's not impossible.

That would definitely be the way to go if you can pull it off. I have only seen a few for sale since I have been looking. There was a MS66 for sale on ebay for around $900 but it is already gone.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:17 PM, Lem E said:

That would definitely be the way to go if you can pull it off. I have only seen a few for sale since I have been looking. There was a MS66 for sale on ebay for around $900 but it is already gone.

That sounds about right.....in MS, the 1943/2 is an extremely difficult coin.  It's a little easier if you're willing to go for a circulated example.  I've cherry picked about three of them over the years, though none of them were in high grade.......they were pretty ugly, but the variety nonetheless.  I wish I still had one to offer J.P. but........they made for some very good trading material and this was years ago.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, Mohawk said:

That sounds about right.....in MS, the 1943/2 is an extremely difficult coin.  It's a little easier if you're willing to go for a circulated example.  I've cherry picked about three of them over the years, though none of them were in high grade.......they were pretty ugly, but the variety nonetheless.  I wish I still had one to offer J.P. but........they made for some very good trading material and this was years ago.

They seem to get snapped up quick in the higher grades. I was lucky to get the MS65 I have. 

On 10/10/2021 at 3:25 PM, Lem E said:

They seem to get snapped up quick in the higher grades. I was lucky to get the MS65 I have. 

It's definitely a popular variety in U.S. coinage.  The dealer I traded my well worn ones to was able to sell them quickly, even in VG-F grades.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:34 PM, Lem E said:

Wow that's a good price about half the cost of the last one I looked at  :o Like I said in a previous post the 43/2 should not be in the Circulated War Nickel Registry Set it is in a class by itself. But they also say you can't fight city hall.