• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof Silver Eagles and Coin Flips

14 posts in this topic

1. I have never submitted any coins before so I want to do so at the cheapest cost possible. From what I remember, that's $18 per coin plus postage back to me. Please show me in the menu where I can find this guide again.

2. Where can I buy these coin flips it talks about in the submission process?

3. I don't know about mm - I have Silver Eagle coins I want to get graded and I don't know the size for them - anyone?

4. My Silver Eagles are PROOF coins. I would TOTALLY prefer sending them in the plastic that is included in the box from the mint. I don't want to touch them at all. I was always told that proof coins were never touched by human hands. Do I still need to remove them and put them in a coin flip, as described?

Thanks,

David Wier

1) Going cheap never pays in the end.

4) Submit them in the original capsules, but leave the boxes and papers with you.ease

4a) Human hands? No. But now you have to trust that the Mint does not hire sub-humans, and that is about a 50/50 proposition in my book.

On edit: Please remember that the main Mint is in Philadelphia, where Eagles fans occupy a stadium eight times per autumn. If you’ve seen an Eagles home game on TV, you’ll understand why the sub-human tag must be taken seriously.

Edited by VKurtB

What Kurt said exactly.  You can definitely submit them in the original capsules.  I've done that with many moderns for my little resale venture.  And here's NGC's Service and Fees page to help you with the rest of it:

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc/

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it now. For some reason, using the menu I couldn't find it again. 

The reason I wanted to go 'cheap' - ($18 per coin per the link) is that I don't have more than a couple of dozen of them and to me, it's a gamble whether or not it will be worth it monetarily to sell them once all the money is spent on grading and shipping.

It just seems to be a daunting concept to me. For instance, I saw on one page in the site, that the projected worth of a PF 69 to a PF 70 Ultra Cameo is double for the 70 (from $50 to $100) for a 2005 proof Silver Eagle. I don't even know if all proof coins get that 'ultra cameo' designation either. And auctioning on Ebay these days doesn't seem to bring as much money as it used to. (if there are other places that are better, I'm open to suggestions, also)

On 8/17/2021 at 1:23 AM, David Wier said:

(if there are other places that are better, I'm open to suggestions, also)

You can sell coins on here as well but silver eagles may either be a hit or miss on here unless it’s 70 graded you might get lucky with someone building a registry set that will buy it … EBay or great collection can take care of your selling needs if you price it right it will probably sell but not guaranteed , theres also MA-shops but that is a more tight knitted dealer site not just open to any random person who prefers to sell coins on there unlike EBay 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 8/16/2021 at 11:45 PM, David Wier said:

1. I have never submitted any coins before so I want to do so at the cheapest cost possible. From what I remember, that's $18 per coin plus postage back to me. Please show me in the menu where I can find this guide again.

2. Where can I buy these coin flips it talks about in the submission process?

3. I don't know about mm - I have Silver Eagle coins I want to get graded and I don't know the size for them - anyone?

4. My Silver Eagles are PROOF coins. I would TOTALLY prefer sending them in the plastic that is included in the box from the mint. I don't want to touch them at all. I was always told that proof coins were never touched by human hands. Do I still need to remove them and put them in a coin flip, as described?

Thanks,

David Wier

If you follow the NGC link and scroll towards the bottom of the page it will describe to you the difference on PF, PF C and PF UC. The Cameo and Ultra Cameo will generally bring in more value and they can be quite attractive also.
https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/

I find that with ASE it is NOT worth getting them graded unless they are 70.   I can buy most year at 69 for around $50.  to get one graded it is $18 + cost of coin $30 + shipping to and from $20 =$68.  yes if you have one before 2002 that comes back a 70 the you can make your money back,

I agree 100% with Rummy13 but I will always applaud and support a collector.  The problem being, and pay attention to VKurtB, who gives a clear look at the US Mint in Philadelphia who is selling Class B ASEs to collectors at Class A prices.  Do not be surprised if, after a few years, your encapsulated (NGC, PCGS) ASEs developed spots.  It seems this is the 'nature of the beast'.  Good luck but I would just hold them in their original packing.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:14 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Do not be surprised if, after a few years, your encapsulated (NGC, PCGS) ASEs developed spots.  It s

100% agree.. I bought a 2000 just becasue it was the new millinium, in MS69 (it was a good deal) and after 12 years it has this nice golden toning frm around 6 o'clock  to 2;  i was like hummm that wasnt there when i got it???  which leads me to another reason i have sworn off grading Eagles.... both proof and MS..  I just leave the proffs in OGP and the MS ones in a dansco ..........

What are ASEs?

And the difference in Class A and B?

Plus, I didn't know that on top of the $18, they added $30 (cost of coin - where and how is this figured in?) to the total also - - - if it comes back graded not as good, you're screwed.....big gamble.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:19 PM, David Wier said:

What are ASEs?

And the difference in Class A and B?

Plus, I didn't know that on top of the $18, they added $30 (cost of coin - where and how is this figured in?) to the total also - - - if it comes back graded not as good, you're screwed.....big gamble.

the $30 is , how much you paid for the coin and your shipping /with insurance to and from the TPG. and that might be a low ball amount.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:19 PM, David Wier said:

What are ASEs?

You now know ASE's, they are called on Coin Forums, People have taken to collecting bullion coins and the TPGs were more than happy to evaluate and encapsulate these bullion coins.  I have purchased, and saved 'bullion' but dot not collect it nor do I have it graded.  I 'flip' it.  Good luck OP on your future endeavors.