• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you grade Peace Silver Dollars?

13 posts in this topic

I've been taking pics on eBay of highly graded Peace Silver Dollars, but there doesn't seem to be any grading CONSISTENCY!  First of all, I can never seemingly find a PERFECT PEACE Silver Dollar, nor a STANDARD Picture (or Drawing) against which to compare.  Secondly, from Wayne Miller's book "the Morgan and Peace Dollar Textbook" (and by the way, there is NO Published Date on this book Mr. Miller and Adam Smith Publishing, although from the readings I've gleaned a possible publishing date of Jan 1983...correct?) there are some weakly struck dates in the Peace series, with the San Francisco mint (per Miller's book) sonsistently under-pressing Peace Silver Dollars (to save wear/tear on the dies?).  So, how DOES an eBay buyer discern the grade on eBay pictures of unslabbed Peace Silver Dollars?

On 8/15/2021 at 5:32 PM, JKK said:

One gets the ANA grading guide, or one of the other recognized grading guides. If the vendor's photos do not show enough detail, one does not buy from that vendor.

This exactly.  Well said!  When I worked at the brick and mortar shop, I liked Photograde for grading U.S. coins.  I found it worked well, and the other guys there used it as well.  

Edited by Mohawk

The ones I've encountered in my life that I really hate trying to grade are U.S. Indian $2.50 and $5 and Ottoman gold 25, 50 and 100 Kurush.  With both of those, it can be extremely difficult to discern a high AU coin from a low to mid MS coin, at least for me.  When I worked at the brick and mortar, those Indian gold series were my grading nightmare!!! And the Ottoman gold was entirely self inflicted.  I never collected Indian gold, but I did collect those damned 25, 50 and 100 Kurushes!  Those are the series I've had to grade that just drive me nuts!!!

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/15/2021 at 9:13 PM, Mohawk said:

I really hate trying to grade are U.S. Indian $2.50 and $5

These are easier to grade if you concentrate on the high points - the field and the Native American's cheek just under the eye. Too many try to "force" the sunk relief design into a normal sunken field coin.

I find it easier to just not buy a Peace dollar I own two and they were both given to me. Almost every one has a week strike and most of the raw ones you find have been cleaned with a Brillo pad  :roflmao:I never liked them as much as Morgan's or other Dollar coins.

Over the years I have bought 6 and looked at many. None were graded all raw but every dang one has pretty darn clean cheeks and fields and is at minimum AU.  Couple peace dollars a few Morgan’s.  For what I want it’s getting impossible to find quality versus price. 🤓
wanted to add. They ofcourse were all offered as BU but I think AU plus is more realistic 🤓

Edited by James Zyskowski