• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this It, What we have all been looking for.
1 1

52 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2021 at 9:14 AM, Hinkle said:

I just wanted to add, there's a 2007-D SMS 10c obverse die cap mint error MS68 graded by NGC that looks just like the OP pics. There not mentioning that part of the error on the coin just die cap. Here's the cert# 3237029-002. Hope this helps with any kind of ideas. 

Thanks for the link Hinkle. and yes it is a cool coin, I am still waiting to see if someone else will look at the post I made in Ask NGC. I was doing a search and found out that David Camire is not only the big cheese when it comes to coin errors but he is also one of the presidents of NGC. So he is probably a bit busy to be looking at a forum request to look at a penny. But you never know hm 

On 8/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, VKurtB said:

One of the best parts of my job as a legislative staffer was getting new flags that had flown over the state Capitol for schools and municipalities that had their previous flags properly destroyed. 

Oh my God. Small world. I wrecked em and you replaced em. The circle is small 🤓🙀

On 8/18/2021 at 7:31 PM, VKurtB said:

The Olympic so-called “gold” medals are almost entirely silver, plated with 6 grams of gold

Very sad.... you train your entire life... win a coveted Olympic 'gold' medal.... and it is basically all a lie......go figure... such is life (I like the old saying, "Life Sucks and Then You Die") Not really but I thought I would throw that in. 

I do agree about the teeth test.  Just goes to show how mainstream media has, and continues to, affect our society.  I wonder how much the athletes got paid to 'bite' the medal (which is friggin stupid because they just worked their ARSE off their entire life to win a medal....)? I hope it broke their teeth in the process.  What's funny is that the actual bullion price between an Olympic gold and silver medal is borderline negligible .....lol....

Edited by GBrad

On 8/17/2021 at 7:07 PM, J P Mashoke said:

David Camire is not only the big cheese when it comes to coin errors but he is also one of the presidents of NGC. So he is probably a bit busy to be looking at a forum request to look at a penny. But you never know hm 

Hey J.P..... don't give up, ALL CLM! 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, GBrad said:

Hey J.P..... don't give up, ALL CLM! 

No Not giving up , No one has said anything on Ask NGC Yet . What is CLM ?

On 8/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, GBrad said:

CLM= Collector's Lives Matter.....:headbang:

Yes, and now we may need a new Greek letter for the COVID that several dealers at the Chicago ANA have tested positive for. Personally, I’m fond of sigma, or perhaps pi, because approximately 3.141592654 dealers seem to be affected.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:45 PM, GBrad said:

I "liked" your post above @VKurtBbecause of the humor.  I am however, sorry and saddened that several dealers tested positive for this (BEEEEEP....) COVID ! 

Masks were “strongly recommended” but not required. Anyone becoming symptomatic that quickly seems to me to either be unvaxxed (and I have a REALLY hard time summoning up sympathy for that segment), or perhaps already infected before they got to Rosemont. I interacted with literally hundreds dealers/dealer employees at Table Holder Registration (I made the Photo ID’s), and I’m not sick, except for my frequent mild ear infection I get when flying.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/19/2021 at 1:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Masks were “strongly recommended” but not required. Anyone becoming symptomatic that quickly seems to me to either be unvaxxed (and I have a REALLY hard time summoning up sympathy for that segment), or perhaps already infected before they got to Rosemont.

That's the thing about this crazy bug.  Even a vaccinated person, who has contracted COVID, can still transmit it to others vaccinated or not.  It's kinda darned if you do....darned if you don't.  I'm not sure of the answer and I don't think the CDC and medical Community are either, just MHO.  I just take as much precaution as possible, (yes) I chose to wear a mask when in public areas especially during close encounters, and I carry a bottle of 90% alcohol with me just about everywhere I go (making sure it doesn't touch a coin obviously.....:).  But, I have a major health condition (which some of you are familiar with) and I chose to err on the side of caution.  

On 8/19/2021 at 2:03 PM, GBrad said:

That's the thing about this crazy bug.  Even a vaccinated person, who has contracted COVID, can still transmit it to others vaccinated or not.  It's kinda darned if you do....darned if you don't.  I'm not sure of the answer and I don't think the CDC and medical Community are either, just MHO.  I just take as much precaution as possible, (yes) I chose to wear a mask when in public areas especially during close encounters, and I carry a bottle of 90% alcohol with me just about everywhere I go (making sure it doesn't touch a coin obviously.....:).  But, I have a major health condition (which some of you are familiar with) and I chose to err on the side of caution.  

You walk around with a bottle of shine everywhere you go.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, J P Mashoke said:

You walk around with a bottle of shine everywhere you go.

YUP!  That's the way we roll up here in the mountains!  Kinda like "Deliverance".... I hear Banjos.....

Seriously though, here's a funny but true story.  Back when this junk first went AWOL and turned into a pandemic, no one could find the first bottle of any type of Isopropyl Alcohol anywhere because people panicked and cleaned out the stores.  I got an idea and went to my local liquor store.  I'm sure we all know what Golden Grain and Everclear is..... 190 proof straight ethyl alcohol.... so I buy two gallons of Golden Grain (wanted the plastic bottles and not the glass bottles Everclear comes in) and tell the store owner what I was using it for.  He said, "Great idea.... that stuff should kill anything you put it on or "IN"... including yourself!" I LMBO..... I went through the stuff pretty quick over about a two week period as a sanitizer for everything. I told a good friend about it who then blew up Facebook (which I don't ever use)  with my new idea.  Yes....I did try a little bit and GOOD LAWD!!!! I have no idea how I drank Hunch Punch back in College...Yuck!!  So I go back to the liquor store to buy more and this time a different store employee says he's completely out of both Golden and Everclear.  He said he saw some FB post about "a dude" using it as sanitizer and further told me they sold out of the 20+ cases he had of the stuff in their inventory in about 2 days! WOW.... I guess little ol' me I made an impact.  Shortly thereafter, the CDC recognized that yes... Everclear ...was an effective means of killing the COVID virus.  I feel jaded somehow in the aspect that I should have made millions off of my idea.....¬¬

On 8/15/2021 at 5:24 PM, DWLange said:

The only issue I have with that coin is that there's no weakness of strike adjacent to the void. I would expect the coin's rim to fade into the void if it had existed at the time of striking. In any case, NGC's mint error attributor is David Camire, so this would be his call.

Thank you for looking at the penny DW. No others from NGC have yet to comment on the ask NGC post. I will most likely be sending this in anyway I just wanted to know if it would be labeled as a Ragged Fissure or just bad planchet. As far as the strike you mentioned I don't think the hub would have tilted to make a uneven strike. I think the planchet was whole until after the strike keeping the hub even and then the piece fell out afterwards . I like the fact that it has been kicking around for 40 years and we are just finding it now.

S20210816_0006.jpg

S20210816_0007.jpg

On 8/22/2021 at 8:34 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Thank you for looking at the penny DW. No others from NGC have yet to comment on the ask NGC post. I will most likely be sending this in anyway I just wanted to know if it would be labeled as a Ragged Fissure or just bad planchet. As far as the strike you mentioned I don't think the hub would have tilted to make a uneven strike. I think the planchet was whole until after the strike keeping the hub even and then the piece fell out afterwards . I like the fact that it has been kicking around for 40 years and we are just finding it now.

S20210816_0006.jpg

S20210816_0007.jpg

I would agree that the planchet was whole when struck and the retained piece fell out afterwards. Or at least that is the most plausible explanation for the lack of strike weakness or the details fading away at the fissure. I took a quick look around and I haven't been able to find a slab labeled "ragged fissure", so I'm not sure what they would label this if it is authenticated. Defective planchet maybe? That would be a lame description despite being accurate. 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:15 AM, GBrad said:

I hope it broke their teeth in the process.

They don't bite them hard, it's just for show.  The silly thing is most people don't understand the "bite test" at all.  If you ask most people would probably tll you to see if your teeth would mark it to show that it is really gold, and that if it does it would be accepted.  Actually it was to make sure it wasn't gold plated lead which would easily take a tooth mark, if it marked it would be rejected.  It IS possible to bite a gold coin hard enough to make a slight mark (I've tried) but only at the risk of breaking a tooth.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:25 AM, Conder101 said:

They don't bite them hard, it's just for show.  The silly thing is most people don't understand the "bite test" at all.  If you ask most people would probably tll you to see if your teeth would mark it to show that it is really gold, and that if it does it would be accepted.  Actually it was to make sure it wasn't gold plated lead which would easily take a tooth mark, if it marked it would be rejected.  It IS possible to bite a gold coin hard enough to make a slight mark (I've tried) but only at the risk of breaking a tooth.

I have to ask: What gold coin did you bite?

On 8/22/2021 at 9:58 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I would agree that the planchet was whole when struck and the retained piece fell out afterwards. Or at least that is the most plausible explanation for the lack of strike weakness or the details fading away at the fissure. I took a quick look around and I haven't been able to find a slab labeled "ragged fissure", so I'm not sure what they would label this if it is authenticated. Defective planchet maybe? That would be a lame description despite being accurate. 

On 8/22/2021 at 8:34 AM, J P Mashoke said:

S20210816_0006.jpg

S20210816_0007.jpg

J.P..... not sure if I missed a post here or there but please do send this in to get a definite answer (I'm almost willing to split the cost with you.....:bigsmile:). This is a very interesting piece now that I have done some research. Like you said, it has been out there for a long time and you were the lucky one to find it.  I would really like to see it slabbed as a "ragged fissure" but like Fenntucky said, it may be simply labeled as a 'defective planchet'.  Either way I think it would be a winner and a very cool coin to have slabbed.  

On 8/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, Just Bob said:

I have to ask: What gold coin did you bite?

On 8/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, Woods020 said:

And why?? 😂

American gold eagle, and why ?  To see if you really could make a mark on a gold coin by biting it.  I found out I could but it was quite difficult. And I was definitely afraid I would break a tooth before I managed it.  So if you were biting a gold coin you really couldn't or shouldn't expect to make tooth marks on it  So why would people have done it (if they ever actually did)  They would have to be checking for something even softer that WOULD show bitemarks easily.  That would be a plated lead fake.