• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this It, What we have all been looking for.
1 1

52 posts in this topic

Oh no......I have to admit I was wrong....there IS a Pac Man penny!!!  It's a 1982 and not a 1977-D, but there it is!!! Now, you need to go post that baby on Etsy with a $100,000 price tag and just wait for it to get snapped right up!!! Shouldn't take long........

On 8/14/2021 at 4:49 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Not sure what it would be worth, is it on the same level as a delamination or clipped planchet. (shrug) If it less common it could be worth more. I'm not sure if it's worth grading but it wouldn't hurt to ask NGC if they would attribute such an error. Nice find JP! (thumbsu

Yes maybe Mr. D.W. Lange From NGC or Mark Feld from Heritage will see this thread and give it a look see. There are a few other regulars here that may have a guess also. It is a cool looking coin no matter what the outcome. 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:19 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Ragged Fissure.  Very nice find

http://www.error-ref.com/fissures_-_ragged___smooth/

Thanks to Oldhoopster for the link, I was trying to find it on error.com but there are so many it was taking forever and then he popped it up here. 

On 8/15/2021 at 5:24 PM, DWLange said:

The only issue I have with that coin is that there's no weakness of strike adjacent to the void. I would expect the coin's rim to fade into the void if it had existed at the time of striking. In any case, NGC's mint error attributor is David Camire, so this would be his call.

Thank you for your time DWLange. Perhaps David Camire will be able to take a look during working hours if he looks at the ask NGC tread or here.  

Edited by J P Mashoke

I have to apologize to the entire forum for my ignorance regarding my first post in this thread.  I thought you (JP) posted this Linc., as a joke, regarding the other recent 'ridiculous'  post we are familiar with.  My sincere apologies.  When Oldhoopster posted about (which I am grateful for, thanks!), and supplied a link to a ragged fissure it got my wheels spinning. I researched this type of error and we are now to the point in this thread of hopefully having an NGC mint error attributor comment on your coin JP....(with the help of numerous other members).  Hopefully NGC's David Camire will take a look at this coin... very interesting now that I see it may be a real error.  I really hope it turns out to be an error even if it is not worth a premium. I just love mint errors, especially on Lincs (sorry VKurt). Really looking forward to any feedback.

Edited by GBrad

On 8/15/2021 at 7:56 AM, James Zyskowski said:

I believe I stand corrected as well. Metallurgy is fascinating.  I sure do like that coin JP   Keep us posted please 🤓

Brad
your not alone it’s been crazy around here and I , like you, am a little flustered too. We’re all good now let’s learn more 🤓

Edited by James Zyskowski

I just wanted to add, there's a 2007-D SMS 10c obverse die cap mint error MS68 graded by NGC that looks just like the OP pics. There not mentioning that part of the error on the coin just die cap. Here's the cert# 3237029-002. Hope this helps with any kind of ideas. 

On 8/16/2021 at 9:14 AM, Hinkle said:

I just wanted to add, there's a 2007-D SMS 10c obverse die cap mint error MS68 graded by NGC that looks just like the OP pics. There not mentioning that part of the error on the coin just die cap. Here's the cert# 3237029-002. Hope this helps with any kind of ideas. 

That's one gnarly die cap there man! I can definitely see how a die cap of that magnitude would cause the fissures on that dime.  Thanks for sharing.  

This cent may have been bitten by actor Richard Kiel. Call me old-fashioned but I like the Roger Moore Bond movies best. On a related note, I have seen way too much biting of Olympic medals lately. Clearly these wonderful athletes lack a little in the gray matter department.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:09 PM, VKurtB said:

... On a related note, I have seen way too much biting of Olympic medals lately. Clearly these wonderful athletes lack a little in the gray matter department.

I have a feeling that the photographers put them up to  it, but, yes, I agree it looks dumb. If I were in that position, I would refuse to do it.

Since we are on the subject, sort of: Wearing the US flag draped across your shoulders is a breach of flag etiquette. This should be taught to these athletes. A victory lap around the track holding a small flag would show national pride without disrespecting our symbol.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:33 PM, Just Bob said:

I have a feeling that the photographers put them up to  it, but, yes, I agree it looks dumb. If I were in that position, I would refuse to do it.

Since we are on the subject, sort of: Wearing the US flag draped across your shoulders is a breach of flag etiquette. This should be taught to these athletes. A victory lap around the track holding a small flag would show national pride without disrespecting our symbol.

George Foreman, boxing. 1968? 1972?

There are numerous ways in which the American Flag can be disrespected and most all Americans have absolutely no clue about this.  Yes, draping the Flag over you as a wrap, or wearing it as piece of attire, is completely disrespectful.  A quick Google search of the United States of America Military Flag Code will show the proper, and improper, ways of displaying and using our Precious Flag.  I doubt those who don or wear our Flag, athletes here in particular, have any idea whatsoever about the proper etiquette associated with the U.S. Flag.  I'm saddened to say that Americans have gone by the wayside when it comes to such important matters as this.  Coming from a Military and Law Enforcement family and background taught me the proper ways to address, display and handle our U.S. Flag, thankfully so.  I can't hold those whom have never had any teaching about this subject at fault, but... the parents of these people I can say otherwise.  I do think that as a God Blessed American one should have the common sense and courtesy to learn about something that is SO very important to our Nation and Country and which is THE symbol of freedom which we are still so blessed to have. I'm off my soapbox now...... :)

Edited by GBrad

GBrad when I was a kid in grammar school ( grammar school 😂 I’m old) I was 3rd grade and on the flag detail. Well I dropped it when we were trying to raise it. Perhaps those who don’t know can pay attention. All holy hell broke loose I was shamed whole school knew they burned the old one and wow after my required paper on respect for the flag. I learned.  Thanks I hadn’t thought about that in many years. Oh ya when I got home how do you think that went !  Grandpa WW1 submarines pop w WW2 navy stateside supply CPO. Ya🙀😳

On 8/17/2021 at 9:07 AM, James Zyskowski said:

I was 3rd grade and on the flag detail. Well I dropped it when we were trying to raise it.

Reminds me of when I was in the Police Academy a loooooong time ago.  Had a mishap there myself.  We had flag detail everyday for the 6 month school.  I just happened to be our class leader...... Somehow, and to this day I have no idea how it happened unless it was from shear exhaustion after some harsh physical training before sunrise, the flag got put on upside-down on the rope clips.  Raising the flag in a very fast manner is mandatory.  Halfway up, this stupid mistake was quickly noticed.  Boy... you should have seen how fast we brought it back down!! While at the same time hoping and praying none of our Command Staff saw the mistake or else I may not be here today to tell this story:).