• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on value of old holders

22 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to buy out a very, very nice collection consisting mainly of Morgans and Mercs in rattlers. I’ve got a price I think I can live with, but I’m curious on what you generally see as added value of the old holders. It would make me sleep a little better if I thought there was some meaningful difference and I am not all that versed in the holder side of the game. I know some people assume grading is lessened now and hope for an upgrade. Thoughts?

On 8/9/2021 at 4:38 PM, Woods020 said:

I have an opportunity to buy out a very, very nice collection consisting mainly of Morgans and Mercs in rattlers. I’ve got a price I think I can live with, but I’m curious on what you generally see as added value of the old holders. It would make me sleep a little better if I thought there was some meaningful difference and I am not all that versed in the holder side of the game. I know some people assume grading is lessened now and hope for an upgrade. Thoughts?

10-15% n in some series as much as 30%, but i dont see morgans as benefiting that much, morgans r n have been over inflated n over promoted for many years now, virtually none r rare in any of the grades......

Every CAC gold stickered NGC coin that I have ever seen was in a no-line fattie, and if I ever saw a PCGS gold-stickered coin that wasn't in a rattler, I don't recall it. Read into that what you will. It is accepted in the coin community that grading standards have loosened over the years, but that does not mean that every coin in an older generation holder is automatically assumed to be undergraded. Some are still in the old holders for a reason.

Edited by Just Bob

I myself hunt for older fatty NGC holders especially in world coins which are more scarce than US old holders , make sure the slabs are intact no missing holograms or any cracks in slabs lose value there make sure look them all over they pull a slight premium over a regular newer graded slabbed coin . Depends on what series Morgans that you think will “upgrade” (keep in mind these older slabs may have been graded at time they had stricter tighter grading period, that’s why you see a good bit of older slabs getting CAC beans) you’ll expect to pay as little as anywhere from 5%-10% over premium … not too many old slabs left out there they are like buying antique cars ! 

Some great replies so far, so much of the value is a marketed mindset that a coin must be undergraded if in an old holder.   There are basically two reasons why a coin is still in am old holder:

1) Because those coins have been held onto for many years by a long term older collector, these coins are where the opportunity exists to find truly very nice for the grade and undergraded coins.

2) The price spread between grades does not justify the cost/risk to regrade, these are the coins you see with retail+ prices on at any major show.   Coins that have traded hands so many times between dealers that it can only be sold to a full retail customer often times over hyped because of the holder.

I cannot give you a specific number as each coin must be assessed for its own merits and warts, but as a general rule if the holder is intact with all the labels front and back as they left the TPG (many of the NGC hologram labels go missing due to other labels that were put over the hologram which damages it when removed) then if the coin is solid for the grade a 20% (or next grade up price depending on which is less) premium is not uncommon.

The important thing is to determine in your mind if the coins are really premium quality or are they the kind that pass around the bourse floor many times.

Great info. Much appreciated. This is an old time collector that had a few safety deposit boxes full of graded coins. I went though the nicer ones pretty well, but due to sheer quantity I couldn’t with each. I think we agreed on price and I’m picking them up tomorrow. The local bank where he lived didn’t have enough cash on hand, and according to him he doesn’t trust anything other than green. I offered a cashiers check and he gave me a few expletives and a long lecture to not trust banks or checks. This will be my biggest single purchase by a long, long shot. I feel like I’ll be in them at a good price point if I ever decide to sell. I’ll be walking away with them between blue book and Greysheet so I really don’t thinks it’s much of a risk. I’ve verified all the certs. It’s just easy to start second guessing on a big purchase. Much appreciated. 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:50 PM, Jason Abshier said:

When you get’em @Woods020post a few of them ol’school holders coins up for us to see ! 

I certainly will. It’s going to kill me I’ll get them tomorrow then I have to jump on a plane for Salt Lake City for two days. Why does work have to get in the way of looking at my coins??

On 8/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, Woods020 said:

The local bank where he lived didn’t have enough cash on hand...

:whatthe:

I believe that is the first time I've ever heard that phrase used in connection with a coin purchase. I can assure you it would not apply to any of mine. xD

If they are nice solid coins buy them. Be careful not to over pay as Morgans are overpriced right now due to [I don't know what].

Then get them reholdered so they look better upright. :grin:

And before some of you say "that's not good advice to give" I'll just say what good are your high end coins in old mishandled hacked up holders unless you really don't want them anyway. Nearly all of my NGC coins have been reholdered and are beauties.

Edited by numisport

On 8/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, numisport said:

If they are nice solid coins buy them. Be careful not to over pay as Morgans are overpriced right now due to [I don't know what].

Then get them reholdered so they look better upright. :grin:

And before some of you say "that's not good advice to give" I'll just say what good are your high end coins in old mishandled hacked up holders unless you really don't want them anyway. Nearly all of my NGC coins have been reholdered and are beauties.

These will not be getting reholdered. Not any time soon anyway. Part of the appeal to me was that they are untouched from days gone by. 

Well I bit the bullet and brought them home. Here are a few of them and a smattering of various versions of holders through the years. I have a lot to organize but it’s a good problem to have. I had planned to heading to the ANA show this weekend, but no use now haha. I canceled that flight to come home and play with my new toys. 

7A552DF8-CCF3-46AA-A2F5-5CAFF8C25AD4.jpeg

C6AAFE7A-F7F3-4001-B1DB-E90C2B86C49F.jpeg

On 8/10/2021 at 12:42 PM, Woods020 said:

@CoinbufI made away with a few cents. He wouldn’t budge on his hoard of rolls. Of course everything he had raw was nothing but Ms68 the best you will ever see anywhere. I bet I heard that a thousand time 😂

330DC327-F076-443E-99C7-81CB1629C6F6.jpeg

Sweet!!!, I'm jealous (worship) 

On 8/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, Woods020 said:

Well I bit the bullet and brought them home. Here are a few of them and a smattering of various versions of holders through the years. I have a lot to organize but it’s a good problem to have. I had planned to heading to the ANA show this weekend, but no use now haha. I canceled that flight to come home and play with my new toys. 

7A552DF8-CCF3-46AA-A2F5-5CAFF8C25AD4.jpeg

C6AAFE7A-F7F3-4001-B1DB-E90C2B86C49F.jpeg

I see a sore neck and tired eyes in your future. Congrats on the new haul.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:37 PM, Lem E said:

I see a sore neck and tired eyes in your future. Congrats on the new haul.

I got through a few of them tonight but didn’t scratch the surface. Trying to look for VAMs on the older slabbed Morgans and seeing what should go to CAC.