• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non PVC coin flips in European Union

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've made the decision to get some coins graded by NGC and started to look for coin flips to send my submissions in. I was trying to find something like Saflip's double pocket mylar flips, but to my surprise I couldn't really find any for reasonable prices. Current price to beat is 35 euro (including shipping) for 50 flips in ebay, and even that is just some individual seller. No matter what keywords I used I couldn't find a single dealer in EU that was selling what I was looking for.

I would be grateful if someone knew an online store that sold these or similar flips in EU.

See these people:

LEUCHTTURM GRUPPE GMBH & CO. KG

Am Spakenberg 45
21502 Geesthacht
Deutschland

Yea I checked Leuchtturm before and wasn't able to find what I was looking for. Besides they don't even ship to Finland for some reason. When it comes to Amazon I'd be paying 20 dollars + shipping + vat + customs fee so that would be even more expensive than 35 euros. I do appreciate the help but like I said they sure aren't making it easy for me to get these flips :eyeroll:

Edited by Petrius

ebay Nederland 50 SAFLIP 2 X 2 COIN FLIP - MUSEUM QUALITY - NON PVC - Safe for coins - #28510 | eBay they are out of NY. Says they ship to Finland but I'm not sure about customs fees. WCS in the U.S. sells and ships to Finland but not sure what shipping will run. Saflips - 2.5x2.5 (wizardcoinsupply.com) Don't know of any EU sellers. (shrug)

If modern, Original Mint Packaging is ok to send them in as well.

Have you checked the ones NGC sells? They’re pretty nice but not as nice as Saflips. 

It seems that the best chances of getting mylar flips is indeed by ordering them from states. I was able to get the price down to about 25 euros (including shipping and that pesky 24% VAT). I have not checked NGC store out, thanks for advice VKurtB!

Great to know that softer flips would be an option as well. I'm still somewhat hesitant if there is a chance of contamination. Even if I went to buy softer flips pack fresh from store, who can say how long those flips have stood in storage and store shelves and could be considered old. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Would NGC refuse a submission if I sent my coins in lighthouse cardboard holders like these? https://www.lighthouse.us/coin-holders-self-adhesive.html

Wizard also has Meghrig Archival Vinyl flips that are softer than the Saflip, but still PVC free. I used them for submissions.

Cgb in France auction site might have what your looking for they do sell coin storage and supplies there . On another note if anyone wondering about buying or bidding on coins at Cgb ? All is good I’ve won and bought about 20 coins off them they shipped fast within 3 days I had the coins at my door ! 

https://www.cgbfr.com/boutique,fournitures.html

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Would NGC refuse a submission if I sent my coins in lighthouse cardboard holders like these? https://www.lighthouse.us/coin-holders-self-adhesive.html

Do not use those holders. It would be difficult to open them without some risk of damaging the coins in the process. I don't know whether they would be refused, but it would almost certainly result in some delay in processing your submission.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:41 AM, DWLange said:

While Saflips are chemically inert, they are structurally weak, and NGC prefers they not be used. In addition to the front and back pockets sometimes separating with handling, the sharp corners are unpleasant to handle in quantity. We certainly won't refuse submissions sent in those flips, but the softer ones are preferred. For the amount of time your coins will be in the soft flips there's no risk of contamination, unless the flips are already quite old.

Come to think of it, I did use the flips you sell at your store for my Summer FUN submission. They are growing on me. They are also mondo huge slippery. They slide over each other like you know what through a goose. 
I also snagged a Red / Gold NGC file box in that order that I haven’t put to use yet. There will NOT be Chinese coins in it. I refuse to own one newer than the revolution. 

Edited by VKurtB

Roger that, thank you for your help DWLange.

For anyone else who might stumble upon this problem in the future I ended up buying 100 2x2 Saflips through ebay from seller in United States. Total came down to 45 dollars or 38 euros (Including  shipping and VAT) so around 40 cents per flip. Might not be the flip NGC wishes to be used, but I needed an alternative long term storage option for coins I might not get graded so went for Saflips.

As attachment I have a picture of much 100 NGC flips would've cost to ship to Finland. Ouch. Maybe you could sell some shipped from your German office? Given how hard these flips are to find in Europe you might be able to charge a pretty good premium and still be the relatively cheap option for consumer (also dealing with customs when ordering from outside of EU is a pain) Just a thought.

Flips.thumb.jpg.e0c93f7b5a31b9944cfbec8a478c9f32.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 3:13 PM, Petrius said:

Given how hard these flips are to find in Europe you might be able to charge a pretty good premium and still be the relatively cheap option for consumer (also dealing with customs when ordering from outside of EU is a pain) 

Given how hard it is to find a European dealer that understands what PVC is, I don't think there would be much sales. 

I buy a lot of coins from European dealers. Practically all of them come in PVC flips or paper envelopes. Most of the coins in the PVC flips have residue on them. And the number that also have nicotine residue is amazing. 

On 8/5/2021 at 6:16 PM, gmarguli said:

Given how hard it is to find a European dealer that understands what PVC is, I don't think there would be much sales. 

I buy a lot of coins from European dealers. Practically all of them come in PVC flips or paper envelopes. Most of the coins in the PVC flips have residue on them. And the number that also have nicotine residue is amazing. 

Amen! I can’t believe how many foreign coin handling products are loaded to the gills with PVC, including almost all albums.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, Petrius said:

Total came down to 45 dollars or 38 euros (Including  shipping and VAT)

VAT is B.S ! there some dealers I’ve bought from over Europe and France they removed the VAT for me at end of transaction.

On 8/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, gmarguli said:

I buy a lot of coins from European dealers. Practically all of them come in PVC flips or paper envelopes

Same here but most of mine are in small envelopes, but I’ve gotten a handful in PVC flips over the years , I soak all my raw coins in acetone or denatured alcohol for few minutes as soon as I get them before I transfer them to 2x2 or airtite capsules never had any problem with them changing any weird colors or toning or anything like that  

On 8/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, gmarguli said:

Given how hard it is to find a European dealer that understands what PVC is,

That statement is 100% on the spot.  Ever since the creation of the EU it seems as if Europe only makes up rules and regulations that are completely opposite of ours.  It's as if the EU had a complete distrust of anything American created.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

As long as we're on the subject of flips, I'd like to add one more point. While NGC will accept both the 2"x2" and 2.5"x2.5" flips, it's preferred that you use the larger ones for coins of silver dollar size and larger. With the smaller flips it's very hard to remove large coins without using thumb and forefinger on the coins' obverse and reverse. They're just too tight to slide out by gravity alone.