• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any history on these? First I’ve seen
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Guaranteed!  Just a basement slab job.  How much did you pay?

Looks like something from 'back in the day' of Photo Certified.  Who sold it originally?

PS:  NOT an NGC Black Retro Holder and that MS++ is a dead give away.

Edited by Alex in PA.

55 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

USA seller 15,000 ebay sales 99.8 positive feedback. $33.00 seems fair 

I have never seen one before, it looks like some type of promotional piece that a bank might have used or something that a basement slabber would fill with low AU coins.   As to the price you paid its high retail, not unusual for eBay but certainly not a great deal.    Assuming its real and not a fake you paid $33 for $21.60 (todays spot value) in silver value.   I'm not trying to beat you up and if your happy with the deal that is what matters, just suppling you with some facts and knowledge that you may or may not be aware of.

Thank you Coinbuff. Trying to learn. I follow what you say but could you please explain how $28 oz silver becomes 21.60 at 90 percent?  Not trying to be a wise guy just kinda lacking in facts. Yes I am very happy with my purchase 

Average weight of a Morgan dollar is 26.73 grams, which translates to .85938946 troy ounces. ..85938946 x .9= .7734 troy ounces of silver. At $28 per oz, that is $21.66.

CLick here for NGC's handy price chart

Post some clear close-ups when you get it in hand.

Looks like it would help cover up bad whiz jobs. Shiny shiny. Guessing feedback is good because actual numismatists who could find fault would give these a hard pass, so those buying them are satisfied. I'd look for those few negs and see just what they said.

Morgan dollars seem to selling at a premium now.  Apmex and JM are selling run of the mill Morgans for upper $30's depending on qty, so $33 isn't too bad IMO.  I haven't been to a show or Local shop in a while, but my guess is that they would be similarly priced. The holder is nonsense and adds nothing to the value 

49 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Thank you Coinbuff. Trying to learn. I follow what you say but could you please explain how $28 oz silver becomes 21.60 at 90 percent?  Not trying to be a wise guy just kinda lacking in facts. Yes I am very happy with my purchase 

Bob posted the chart so you can see that the melt or silver value is not the same as the spot price which is for one oz of .999 fine silver.  Ebay is a big marketplace for sellers but it is also an expensive one even for sellers with eBay stores like the seller you bought from.  A seller with a store has to pay around 9% of his sale in fees, then add in his markup and the cost of the item and you can see why many eBay sales are high retail prices.   Again nothing wrong with your purchase you have very little downside with purchases in this range, but sales like this do add up after awhile and its just this type of sale range that the sellers of counterfeit and fake goods often target.  Its common for folks to make a few of these purchases and then attempt to sell to a local dealer only to be told that they have bought over priced goods or outright worthless fakes.   Its unfortunate for the buyers and can cost folks some significant money over time and a lot of buys.

The date of the coin in the picture has been obscured, so I am guessing that it is a stock photo. If that is the case, none of us can really offer anything substantial at this point, since the coin you receive may look nothing like the picture. The best we can do is speculate, based on past experience. (Which, based on some of the replies, has not been that good for some members.) Once you get the coin in hand, we (and you) will be able to judge more precisely whether or not you got a good deal. If it turns out to be a decent, uncleaned, MS coin, then the price is not too bad, in my opinion. If it is circulated or damaged in some way.... well, let's just wait and see.

One thing to remember: It isn't always about, "Can I buy this coin cheaper somewhere else?" Sometimes what matters is whether or not you like the coin, and whether it fits your collection.

Hoping for a good report when it comes in.  (thumbsu :)

James Zyskowski - No.

The coin pictured is NOT a cull. The coin you receive will probably not look anything like the 1889 Morgan with small punch marks. Culls have no meaningful value beyond metal content. They are damaged, holed, worn smooth, and otherwise useless as money or collectibles. The silver value of a cull Morgan or Peace dollar is approximately $21.48 or about $17 less than the bunch running the above ad want.

Edited by RWB

1 hour ago, RWB said:

James Zyskowski - No.

The coin pictured is NOT a cull. The coin you receive will probably not look anything like the 1889 Morgan with small punch marks. Culls have no meaningful value beyond metal content. They are damaged, holed, worn smooth, and otherwise useless as money or collectibles. The silver value of a cull Morgan or Peace dollar is approximately $21.48 or about $17 less than the bunch running the above ad want.

Even the coin shown in the ad is damaged. Yours is nearly guaranteed to be significantly so. 

21 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

Morgan dollars seem to selling at a premium now.  Apmex and JM are selling run of the mill Morgans for upper $30's depending on qty, so $33 isn't too bad IMO.  I haven't been to a show or Local shop in a while, but my guess is that they would be similarly priced. The holder is nonsense and adds nothing to the value 

I agree. I bounce around ebay once in a while looking at morgans. You're lucky to be able to pickup a common date AU morgan for less than $30 anymore. Especially with silver being up right now. 

Looked like something that came from Franklin mint , they would take a worn down beat up coin and put it in fancy holder sell them to uneducated coin collectors they used sell this stuff on TV all time too . Your coin looks okay it not junk ... Me ? I’d take it out of the holder throw it in garbage and put the  coin in a Mylar 2x2 flip start building yourself up a nice average circulated Morgan set put in coin page book.

If you want to collect authentic “graded coins” only stick with NGC, PCGS , ANACS , ICG are most common you would see on big auction sites like EBAY ... all the other coins you see in holders or some weird name your not familiar with on holder beware of fake coins and fake slabs circulating on EBay and other places 

Edited by Jason Abshier

Looks like something recent to me, not old.  Would not consider this to be "certified" in any way, either as a "certificate" or "slab".  No identification, no company, "Authenticated by a professional numismatist"  Who?  No grade, (although a grade is not mandatory), no id number.  Even the early services used serial numbers or bar codes.  It just doesn't seem "old".  So it's just a coin in a fancy flip/holder.  The claim of being a "limited edition" reeks of a promotional item.

Thinking along the same line as you. Advertising for old bank. Everything about this is a little strange but the coins (I’ve got 3 different examples are not junk far from it all look great for the price $24-33 each. Really hoped for a good story but maybe we have one🤓