• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evaluation Question
1 1

22 posts in this topic

If I have a double die dime that I’d like to have evaluated, what tier and service do I select?

And a 1969 no initials penny?

Edited by Jfantj

12 minutes ago, Oldhoopster said:

First, make sure they evaluate the specific variety.  Here is a list.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/

Oh boy, I think I’m in over my head…. I don’t even know where to start. I can see the dime is a Roosevelt Dime and the penny is a 1969 D no “FG” 1 c MS…..

If it is not too late to post pictures, obverse and reverse, I would encourage you to do so. Grading is an expensive undertaking and finding out what you thought you had, after-the-fact, can be a real let-down.

1 minute ago, Quintus Arrius said:

If it is not too late to post pictures, obverse and reverse, I would encourage you to do so. Grading is an expensive undertaking and finding out what you thought you had, after-the-fact, can be a real let-down.

I will post them later today! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@Quintus Arrius offers an excellent suggestion.  If you post clear, cropped pics, experienced members can provide you with an opinion on what you may have, and if it's worth sending for grading/attibution

BTW: There are things like die deterioration and mechanical doubling that are not true doubled dies and have no added.  It's much more common to find one of these, than it is to find a true Doubled die.

That is not an error, that is due to overpolishing of the die. Notice how the roof supports and Lincoln are also mostly missing. If it was grease filled, only the initials would be affected.

This is common on most Memorial Lincolns and adds very little value seeing that they are so common. I think the TPG's have stopped grading them  so you would be wasting your money sending it in..

That article by Mr.Bill is 9 years old .

Edited by Greenstang

37 minutes ago, Jfantj said:

Yes

Ok NGC does authenticate the no FG on 1969 D cents that were lost due to over polishing of the die.  However because your coin shows some remnants of the initials I think that your coin would not qualify as the initials need to missing completely.  If I am correct and if that is how NGC authenticates this variety then I think that your coin would not be attributed as the no FG variety.  The only way to know for sure is if @DWLange is able to comment here before you attempt to send in, if not then you would just have to roll the dice and see what happens in the grading/attribution process.  I don't follow prices for these so I cannot say if there is any financial upside for an attributed no FG coin in the condition you have.

Still need photos of the dime to help you on that.

40 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Ok NGC does authenticate the no FG on 1969 D cents that were lost due to over polishing of the die.  However because your coin shows some remnants of the initials I think that your coin would not qualify as the initials need to missing completely.  If I am correct and if that is how NGC authenticates this variety then I think that your coin would not be attributed as the no FG variety.  The only way to know for sure is if @DWLange is able to comment here before you attempt to send in, if not then you would just have to roll the dice and see what happens in the grading/attribution process.  I don't follow prices for these so I cannot say if there is any financial upside for an attributed no FG coin in the condition you have.

Still need photos of the dime to help you on that.

Here are the dime pictures and penny ones. This is a different penny from the one I posted before.

339877AC-B81E-476D-B5E8-7734695CC92E.jpeg

56A068CE-E8D0-48C4-BB2A-4EABE3F9839D.jpeg

C7274FEF-ED30-4CD7-873C-FF91859FFD22.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jfantj said:

Here are the dime pictures and penny ones. This is a different penny from the one I posted before.

Ok so the cent you want to submit is not the one you posted in the thread I linked then?  It will be very difficult for us to follow if you are not consistent.  The dime looks to have some extreme die erosion doubling, not an error and not true doubling plus the damage/poor condition would preclude a straight grade imo.  The photos of this second 1969-D cent are slightly out of focus and I cannot tell for sure, it seems that there is a blob where the initials go.  I cannot say yes or no from these photos.

14 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Ok so the cent you want to submit is not the one you posted in the thread I linked then?  It will be very difficult for us to follow if you are not consistent.  The dime looks to have some extreme die erosion doubling, not an error and not true doubling plus the damage/poor condition would preclude a straight grade imo.  The photos of this second 1969-D cent are slightly out of focus and I cannot tell for sure, it seems that there is a blob where the initials go.  I cannot say yes or no from these photos.

The penny above is the one we were considering having looked at.

1 minute ago, Jfantj said:

The penny above is the one we were considering having looked at.

Yes but in an earlier post I asked if it was the coin in the old post I provided a link to which you said yes, then you changed it to the coin you posted in this thread.   I'm not trying to make a big deal of it just pointing out that it can get confusing if your not clear on which coin.

Just now, Coinbuf said:

Yes but in an earlier post I asked if it was the coin in the old post I provided a link to which you said yes, then you changed it to the coin you posted in this thread.   I'm not trying to make a big deal of it just pointing out that it can get confusing if your not clear on which coin.

I apologize. Yes, that is confusing. We had two 1969 pennies one looks like the letters are barely there and the ones above I just added to this thread are new. Sorry. I’m new to all of this. Should I post the new penny pictures on a new thread?

Just now, Jfantj said:

I apologize. Yes, that is confusing. We had two 1969 pennies one looks like the letters are barely there and the ones above I just added to this thread are new. Sorry. I’m new to all of this. Should I post the new penny pictures on a new thread?

No worries you are fine, I was able to follow you but sometimes it can be difficult when multiple coins are concerned.  :)

Agree with previous answers. The dime looks heat damaged. Do not submit that one for certain it will not grade and will be a total waste of money.

The penny needs a clearer picture. As coinbuf said it looks like there is something where the initials should be. Especially in the zoomed out picture. 

[As regarding the dime, a matter that was adjudicated quickly, the membership, to its credit, has already saved the OP some time, money and disappointment.]