• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video about Variety Submission and Collecting
1 1

11 posts in this topic

That was very helpful to me. Cleared up alot of questions I had in the back of my mind. Thank you for sharing that @DWLange.  Has anyone ever sent in a coin that the graders noticed was a special variety and the submitter never chose variety plus? If so what would happen in that case?  If it ended up being something rare or special that the submitter didn't know about. 

That was very cool how you used the 1864 2 cent piece in your presentation. I got one of the 1864 varieties that you used for an example. The picture below is my coin. It's got the doubling on the date. Polish_20210509_102757303.thumb.jpg.ddeccb09538413b893c428eeb44d6727.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Has anyone ever sent in a coin that the graders noticed was a special variety and the submitter never chose variety plus?

That happens frequently, but most of the varieties are not ones that add significant value. In those cases we just leave them for someone to cherrypick later. In the case of a major variety that would add substantial value, we will usually inform the submitter that he/she may want to include variety attribution and increase the insurance coverage for its return trip.

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

That was very cool how you used the 1864 2 cent piece in your presentation. I got one of the 1864 varieties that you used for an example. The picture below is my coin. It's got the doubling on the date. Polish_20210509_102757303.thumb.jpg.ddeccb09538413b893c428eeb44d6727.jpg

HH, you've got a mighty fine two-cent there! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

HH, you've got a mighty fine two-cent there! (thumbsu

Thank you. I like it. I may have it authenticated one of these days. If the value on them ever goes up. 

@DWLange I recently submitted an 1814 half dollar that I believe to be an O-107 Prime (i.e., the early die state without the die defect/chip in the N on the reverse) but the variety plus just classified it as a regular O-107.  I called to ask about this and they responded that the O-107 is the "prime" which is normally true but not in this case.  Is this just not recognized by NGC?  My understanding is that the O-107 Prime is a relatively rare die marriage (R-7).  Thanks for your thoughts!

O-107 is the prime for that die marriage, and NGC doesn't describe individual die states beyond what Overton listed. While his breakdowns are very simplistic and could be expanded into numerous die states, Overton remains the hobby standard until someone improves upon it.

4 hours ago, DWLange said:

O-107 is the prime for that die marriage, and NGC doesn't describe individual die states beyond what Overton listed. While his breakdowns are very simplistic and could be expanded into numerous die states, Overton remains the hobby standard until someone improves upon it.

That pretty much matches what I understand, however, based on my Overton third edition, the O-107, reverse G states there is a "Small defect lump in the N of United" so if there is no defect lump which is diagnostic for the marriage what do you call it?  How can it be an O-107 without that defect lump, unless it is an earlier die state which to bust half collectors is known as the O-107 Prime, which represents an earlier die state than what Overton references.

Edited by jtryka

For that to be designated there needs to be a better book than Overton. If Steve Tompkins continues the half dollar series beyond his first volume covering the Flowing Hair and Draped Bust types, you may find such distinctions.