• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade - 1900 Barber Half
1 1

19 posts in this topic

It is a very nice coin that presents well with nice luster, a touch of color, and the strike look solid.  I'm also thinking the wispy marks on the cheek and neck may have held it back some, MS64+.

This was one of the first coins I ever bought. I bought this and a 1901 that’s almost identical. In all of my newbie wisdom I just knew this was under graded. But the more I look at them the more I think they really are. This coin is NGC graded MS62. I’ve debated on cracking it out. I’m not there yet but it’s tempting to me 

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

This was one of the first coins I ever bought. I bought this and a 1901 that’s almost identical. In all of my newbie wisdom I just knew this was under graded. But the more I look at them the more I think they really are. This coin is NGC graded MS62. I’ve debated on cracking it out. I’m not there yet but it’s tempting to me 

I missed it big time. Looks undergraded a little.

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

I can sure understand the temptation, the only word of caution I would give is that this may have been silently net graded down for those aforementioned wispy marks rather than call it cleaned.  Not saying that's what happened but if you have the opportunity to have a barber expert review it that might be a good idea before you crack it.

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

I can sure understand the temptation, the only word of caution I would give is that this may have been silently net graded down for those aforementioned wispy marks rather than call it cleaned.  Not saying that's what happened but if you have the opportunity to have a barber expert review it that might be a good idea before you crack it.

I agree. Sound advice. 

9 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Why do you refer to “silently net graded”? If the grade is due to the flaws that seem apparent in the image, I don’t see anything “silent” about the grade and if this coin is silently net graded, what coin isn't?

Edited by MarkFeld

10 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I missed it big time. Looks undergraded a little.

You were way closer than I was on one of your quarters. I swore it was AU and it was MS66 I think. Or close to it. 

I formed an opinion before I saw your grade and I agree with MS62. There appears to be a significant scrap from the eye to ear that would likely limit it grading higher. 

16 minutes ago, gmarguli said:

I formed an opinion before I saw your grade and I agree with MS62. There appears to be a significant scrap from the eye to ear that would likely limit it grading higher. 

Greg, I enlarged the picture and don't see the scrape you're talking abiout.

1 hour ago, MarkFeld said:

Greg, I enlarged the picture and don't see the scrape you're talking abiout.

Maybe slide marks would have been a better term. And within those slide marks are a few noticeable hits. 

Barber.thumb.jpg.7588ddd1e6e1fbf232b65659a21874d1.jpg

11 minutes ago, gmarguli said:

Maybe slide marks would have been a better term. And within those slide marks are a few noticeable hits. 

Barber.thumb.jpg.7588ddd1e6e1fbf232b65659a21874d1.jpg

Thanks. When you said "eye to ear" I was looking higher up, literally to the ear, Before guessing MS63 for the grade, I had considered MS62.

[A few observations.  Firstly, this is a beautiful coin, whether dime, quarter or, as here, a half.

Secondly, everyone knows I am unalterably opposed to decapsulation, so why the resistance to resubmission for regrade consideration?

Thirdly, not a single negative comment was made regarding the reverse.  Accordingly, whether MS-62 or MS-63, why wouldn't the ultimate grade accorded be followed by a plus (+)?

Lastly, why is it I am lectured on extensive damage caused by bag marks and heavy coins sliding down chutes (characterized as the norm, affecting up to 90% of graded Morgans in a future 5/15/2021 post) but here, barely discernable "slide" marks and "scrapes" are characterized as contact wear?

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[A few observations.  Firstly, this is a beautiful coin, whether dime, quarter or, as here, a half.

Secondly, everyone knows I am unalterably opposed to decapsulation, so why the resistance to resubmission for regrade consideration?

Thirdly, not a single negative comment was made regarding the reverse.  Accordingly, whether MS-62 or MS-63, why wouldn't the ultimate grade accorded be followed by a plus (+)?

Lastly, why is it I am lectured on extensive damage caused by bag marks and heavy coins sliding down chutes (characterized as the norm, affecting up to 90% of graded Morgans in a future 5/15/2021 post) but here, barely discernable "slide" marks and "scrapes" are characterized as contact wear?

Not “contact wear” or wear of any kind, but rather, grade-limiting flaws. And they don’t appear to be merely “barely discernible”. The reverse (no matter how nice) rarely leads to a higher, rather than lower grade.

4 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Not “contact wear” or wear of any kind, but rather, grade-limiting flaws. And they don’t appear to be merely “barely discernible”. The reverse (no matter how nice) rarely leads to a higher, rather than lower grade.

Thank you for the courtesy of your response. I accept your clarification wholeheartedly and without reservation.