• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do you collect?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Here is a thread to be a little social with everyone. It can be useful to new collectors who read it to see why people collect and what they collect. So in less than 25 words, or if you need it a little more, why do you collect coins? Is it for investment, fun, etc.? Also what areas do you collect in? What's your category you mostly focus on? 

This should be fun to see everyone's replies and help us socialize a little with each other. After I post this I will post a separate post on why I do. 

I will collect anything because I love all coins. Washington quarters are my favorite and my main focus. I also am collecting for fun and into the history of coinage and minting processes. It is a good investment to have coins put back but my collection will never be sold as long as I'm alive. I'm more into the coins than I am the value of them. 

That was very enjoyable reading Coinbuf. I love the older stuff also. I love the designs of the numbers on the old coins. Such as the 5 on a shield nickle. They put a little more fanciness into them back in the earlier days. I also love the older coins that the dies were carved by hand. They had more imperfections but that's what makes them special to me. Those engravers were amazing. 

Like Coinbuf I also collect for their historical value.  I like to think of myself as a 'Purist'.  I do not buy coins to 'flip' them and I am not in the business of Dealing in coins.  Rarely do I sell a coin unless it's a MS 63 that I have a chance to upgrade to MS 65.  I often wish the USA would return to minting beautiful coins and printing beautiful money as it did in the 1800s.  If I had my way we would be using the Educational Notes of 1896 but with a complete spread $1 thru $100.

:idea:

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Like Coinbuf I also collect for their historical value.  I like to think of myself as a 'Purist'.  I do not buy coins to 'flip' them and I am not in the business of Dealing in coins.  Rarely do I sell a coin unless it's a MS 63 that I have a chance to upgrade to MS 65.  I often wish the USA would return to minting beautiful coins and printing beautiful money as it did in the 1800s.  If I had my way we would be using the Educational Notes of 1896 but with a complete spread $1 thru $100.

:idea:

Very good answer. I don't buy them to flip either.  Can care less about making a profit or money or anything off them. I enjoy admiring them. I look at them every single day. 

I actually came to numismatics by way of bullion. I started investing in precious metals to diversify and not have all my eggs in the stock market. Not because I think it will have some catastrophic collapse so let’s don’t go down that road but just as a prudent decision to diversify. It didn’t take long to see that I could buy a pre-1933 eagle for about the same as modern bullion. And it drew me in. It’s been all downhill since 😂

I enjoy the beauty of some of the older coinage, and on the other end of the spectrum some are so ugly it makes you want one. I also love the history behind it as all have said. It’s fun to me to sit down with my daughter or other friends and family and show them coins. It’s great to tell the context of the coin and what was going on in the world. For example what better way to see how WW2 impacted every facet of American life than to show the war time nickels. Base metals were actually deemed more important than silver in that instance because the war effort demanded it. It puts a lot of things into perspective in that when real trouble happens and lives are at stake precious items become less important than practical ones. Long story short they are often beautiful, historic, and reflect what the world was going through at the time. Money makes the world go round as they say, and it’s fun to see how both the money and the world has changed. 

Edited by Woods020

very thoughtful n insightful responses all...so far no name calling, spitefulness, baiting, trolling, ego boosting replies, a pleasant respite, just a sharing of honest thoughts on a communal hobby, refreshing, a commendable thread....seems like a recurring thread within the thread is the historical aspect of the coins themselves, realistically one of the underlying reasons of collecting is to impart ourselves onto the history of the coin or even the other way around, being a part of or owning a part of that coins history, all good things...

why do i collect?.....its a quest....

32 minutes ago, zadok said:

very thoughtful n insightful responses all...so far no name calling, spitefulness, baiting, trolling, ego boosting replies, a pleasant respite, just a sharing of honest thoughts on a communal hobby, refreshing, a commendable thread....seems like a recurring thread within the thread is the historical aspect of the coins themselves, realistically one of the underlying reasons of collecting is to impart ourselves onto the history of the coin or even the other way around, being a part of or owning a part of that coins history, all good things...

why do i collect?.....its a quest....

That was a wonderful response Zadok.  Very enjoyable and very true. 

Why do I collect? That's a question I often ask myself and one that I cannot fully answer.

I like the history, the designs, the details, interesting and sometimes obscure facts. I like to learn, to teach, to be involved. I like completeness along with the hunt to achieve it. I like the metal itself. These are just some of the reasons I collect.

Not to mention that I have little faith in the current monetary polices.  

History, the story behind the coin and the coins (plural), their role in American commerce and economic power, and a little stash for me and my heirs that is in addition to any real estate or financial assets I may hold, regardless of whether they have appreciated in the aggregate or lost money.

I enjoy reading the replies of everyone who posted. Thank you. We all got very common interest in this hobby. Hopefully all this love for history will be picked up by the younger generations. Hopefully we can get more people to reply and share their passion of the hobby.  It's wonderful there are so many areas to collect in. It's truly amazing how many different types of coins, tokens, medals, and bullion is out there. Way more than I ever realized. 

Edited by Hoghead515

I've posted on this subject, many times before, but since I like the idea and for the benefit of the newbies who haven't heard the story; I can sum it up, to honor your very positive and fun thread. :smile:

It all started with my dad giving me coins, as a child.  He gifted me an uncirculated 1882-CC GSA Morgan, when I was 7 or 8 years old.  They only cost $15.00, back then, so YES, I am OLD.  ;)  My father and I still share the interest, in numismatics, and it has served as a great bond between us.  He also gifted me a lot of raw Walkers, Franklins, Washingtons and Mercurys that he had pulled and saved from circulation, when he was young.  He gave me blue Whitman folders to place them in and a Redbook.  I spent many hours reading and dreaming about rare coins. 

In 1993, I bought Bruce Fox's Walker book and became enamored by EARLY Walkers.  It was around this time that I started buying raw examples that graded from XF to BU.  In 2005, I made my first Heritage purchase and also joined the NGC Registry.  I have been passionately pursuing it, ever since.  I enjoy the beauty, history, rarity and value of these delightful U.S. monetary artifacts.  I've slowed way down, since completing my Walker sets and winning several awards, but I still look and attend shows and buy about 4 or 5 coins a year.  

Edited by Walkerfan

46 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

I've posted on this subject, many times before, but since I like the idea and for the benefit of the newbies who haven't heard the story; I can sum it up, to honor your very positive and fun thread. :smile:

It all started with my dad giving me coins, as a child.  He gifted me an uncirculated 1882-CC GSA Morgan, when I was 7 or 8 years old.  They only cost $15.00, back then, so YES, I am OLD.  ;)  My father and I still share the interest, in numismatics, and it has served as a great bond between us.  He also gifted me a lot of raw Walkers, Franklins, Washingtons and Mercurys that he had pulled and saved from circulation, when he was young.  He gave me blue Whitman folders to place them in and a Redbook.  I spent many hours reading and dreaming about rare coins. 

In 1993, I bought Bruce Fox's Walker book and became enamored by EARLY Walkers.  It was around this time that I started buying raw examples that graded from XF to BU.  In 2005, I made my first Heritage purchase and also joined the NGC Registry.  I have been passionately pursuing it, ever since.  I enjoy the beauty, history, rarity and value of these delightful U.S. monetary artifacts.  I've slowed way down, since completing my Walker sets and winning several awards, but I still look and attend shows and buy about 4 or 5 coins a year.  

Thank you for sharing that story. My dad and I were very close and bonded over other things. He never was a collector but we bonded over fishing and hunting and other things. I lost him last year the day after his 60th birthday. He was suffering from sugar really bad. He only had a half of a foot on each side where they cut on him so much. They wanted to take his legs but he wouldn't give them up and he had a massive heart attack. Your story brought back some of my bonding memories with him. Also those Walkers are some very beautiful coins. I really enjoy them. I own a few common date worn ones. Nothing nice yet but probably will in the future. I appreciate your reply and have a wonderful day my good friend. 

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you for sharing that story. My dad and I were very close and bonded over other things. He never was a collector but we bonded over fishing and hunting and other things. I lost him last year the day after his 60th birthday. He was suffering from sugar really bad. He only had a half of a foot on each side where they cut on him so much. They wanted to take his legs but he wouldn't give them up and he had a massive heart attack. Your story brought back some of my bonding memories with him. Also those Walkers are some very beautiful coins. I really enjoy them. I own a few common date worn ones. Nothing nice yet but probably will in the future. I appreciate your reply and have a wonderful day my good friend. 

You're welcome, my friend.  Very sorry to hear about your dad. :frown:   

Very nice read.  Thank you for this thread Hoghead.  

My dad got me interested in coins in the middle 90's.  I guess that is why I focused on variety cents with the doubled die that came out that year.  We spent 10 years going to shows together and talking coins.  He passed shortly after the Wisconsin doubled die quarter came out.  

I lost interest in coins after this and now collect Lithuanian coins.  More specifically 1925-1938.  The period between WWI and WWII. My heritage is Lithuanian and I am putting the best NGC set I can.  I look forward to some big world coin shows after pandemic.

4 hours ago, joeyuk said:

Very nice read.  Thank you for this thread Hoghead.  

My dad got me interested in coins in the middle 90's.  I guess that is why I focused on variety cents with the doubled die that came out that year.  We spent 10 years going to shows together and talking coins.  He passed shortly after the Wisconsin doubled die quarter came out.  

I lost interest in coins after this and now collect Lithuanian coins.  More specifically 1925-1938.  The period between WWI and WWII. My heritage is Lithuanian and I am putting the best NGC set I can.  I look forward to some big world coin shows after pandemic.

Another wonderful answer. I've enjoyed reading the replies very much. 

On 4/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, Alex in PA. said:

If I had my way we would be using the Educational Notes of 1896 but with a complete spread $1 thru $100.

Same here.

(Little point would be served in stating what I collect and why. I myself do not know why.  I have been a collector of things all my life.) Unfortunately, a catastrophe in 2012 destroyed everything I had forever. Jehovah God arranged a chance meeting placing her by time and unforseen circumstance in my path and day by day our friendship blossomed. He cleared my plate and said, "Chiffonnier, I have a job for you that requires your time and undivided attention:  I want you to take care of this woman for the rest of your life to the best of your ability. We were both in our sixties." I became her personal buretye (cart puller) formally "presented" myself to her family, and when my work was substantially done, married her, and then began dating her to get to know her better.  My sister said she saved my life but I maintain I saved hers. We love and respect each other, never questioned each other's judgment and never had a disagreement or argument much less a fight.  The only thing she has ever said about my French 20-Franc Gold Rooster collection (1899-1914) is: "I think they are beautiful. She is my Guardian Angel.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Same here.

(Little point would be served in stating what I collect and why. I myself do not know why.  I have been a collector of things all my life.) Unfortunately, a catastrophe in 2012 destroyed everything I had forever. Jehovah God arranged a chance meeting placing her by time and unforseen circumstance in my path and day by day our friendship blossomed. He cleared my plate and said, "Chiffonnier, I have a job for you that requires your time and undivided attention:  I want you to take care of this woman for the rest of your life to the best of your ability. We were both in our sixties." I became her personal buretye (cart puller) formally "presented" myself to her family, and when my work was substantially done, married her, and then began dating her to get to know her better.  My sister said she saved my life but I maintain I saved hers. We love and respect each other, never questioned each other's judgment and never had a disagreement or argument much less a fight.  The only thing she has ever said about my French 20-Franc Gold Rooster collection (1899-1914) is: "I think they are beautiful. She is my Guardian Angel.

That's a wonderful story my friend. I'm sorry about your loss in 2012. 

5 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

That's a wonderful story my friend. I'm sorry about your loss in 2012. 

If everyone were like you, HH515, we wouldn't need moderators.  You're a down-to-earth, perfect gentleman and your comments are a pleasure to read.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

If everyone were like you, HH515, we wouldn't need moderators.  You're a down-to-earth, perfect gentleman and your comments are a pleasure to read.

Thank you my friend. I try to treat everyone I've ever met with respect. The good Lord said to love everyone and I try to take his advice. I've never been in a fight my whole life. I'm very easy going also. I don't care what anyone says or does to me. Only when they start doing others wrong is when I get mad.