• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel Fanatics - A beauty I found today in a mint set

12 posts in this topic

Yes it looks like a proof. Square rims are the giveaway. Many of these were separated when hundreds of thousands of these sets were broken up for silver melt.

Edited by numisport

Yes sorry mis-wording on the original post. I should have said mint proof set. It’s definitely a proof. I just really like the color and hadn’t seen one toned exactly like this one. 

That is a beautiful color. I love those toned proof nickles. I got one that is a beautiful cobalt blue color.  They are beautiful. I'm a sucker for them. 

This coin is one of the “Blue ‘62” nickels sometimes found in 1962 proof sets. There are some really intensely blue ones. The 1961 nickels often trended to yellow or green tones. One person whose knowledge I trust credits trace amounts of cobalt in the 1962 proof nickel alloy, but had no theory on the 1961’s. 

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

This coin is one of the “Blue ‘62” nickels sometimes found in 1962 proof sets. There are some really intensely blue ones. The 1961 nickels often trended to yellow or green tones. One person whose knowledge I trust credits trace amounts of cobalt in the 1962 proof nickel alloy, but had no theory on the 1961’s. 

Vkurt I believe there is something to this. When I was looking at it cobalt was definitely what I was thinking. I’m no metallurgist by any means, but that does make sense judging by the way it looks. 

21 hours ago, VKurtB said:

The 62 set I bought had a beautiful blue nickle in it as well.